Author Topic: New games  (Read 2660 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
New games
« on: October 15, 2003, 07:29:12 PM »
Both Max Payne 2 and Commandos 3 come out today, and I'm extremely excited about both. As well as extremely unable to afford or otherwise acquire them. Just thought I'd share.

Anything else you guys are itching for that's due to be released soon?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: New games
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 08:06:33 PM »
Final Fantasy XI, which I don't remember seeing a thread for yet. Get us a couple press accounts with that one, Fell, and you'll have some happy reviewers.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 10:40:12 PM »
If I may answer my own question, I just now heard the announcement for a sequel to "Freedom Force," which was easily the best game of 2002.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/freedomforce3rdreich/preview_6076875.html
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 10:47:29 PM »
Heh, I like the title. But FF XI can burn. Everything about it can burn. Bags man!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 10:51:19 PM »
see, that's the thing. I was at Best Buy, shopping for a power supply that it turns out I didn't need. Freedom force was $10 (so was a Medal of Honor expansion, but I restrained -- not being confident that my computer would work anyway, which it didn't). I bought it, but it occurred to me that I heard a lot about this game for a week, maybe two, and then heard nothing about it since. What was up with that?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 10:52:17 PM »
Fell you might want to look into UFO aftermath, it's from the orignal creator of X-Com.  And plays like it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 11:41:45 PM »
Ah...X-com/UFO was a fantastic game. I found it selling a year a go for a fiver, and having heard of it, picke dit up quickly, and then spent a long time playing it.  The thought of a new, updated version has me excited. It should be really, really good.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 11:48:37 PM »
Fell I just send you the contact info for UFO develpor/publisher, it sounds like you need a good game to play.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 06:27:27 AM »
Got a friend who played that. Same guy who got into the Lineage 2 beta. Anyway, he says it is good, for the first half of the game, but its bugged to hell, the later levels are impossible, its unbalanced etc. Seems like it derails at the end.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 06:41:36 AM »
It comes out today in the US, we're getting the patched version, so hopefuly it wouldn't be that bad.  

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 01:25:10 PM »
I don't know why you never heard anything about Freedom Force, SE. It got a lot of hype when it came out, it got excellent reviews, and it won a lot of year-end awards from the major game sites (and from this one, actually :)). If you have it, play it, but I seem to remember needing to download a patch, so check for one.

Yeah, I got that UFO info, Sprig, thanks. Even though it's the leading game in my favorite genre, I could never get into X-Com for some reason. I'd like to try UFO, though.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 05:05:42 PM »
OH, I heard about it when it first came out. Then it dropped off the radar.

And I'll be returning it. Since I don't have a computer that can play it (I was banking on the power supply working, after all, I HAD heard good things about the game, just then they stopped) and since I could really use the ten bones.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 03:59:38 PM »
Freedom Force had lots of hype up to it's release, then it died.  Which what odd since all the reviews were good and it was a fun game.  Probaly some other game came out that more people had intrest in.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 05:39:07 PM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about. It had (and has) a huge mod community, it won a bunch of end-of-year awards, and was nominated for several more--all of which happened long after the game's release. I don't know what you were expecting, but it stayed in the gamer's eye pretty well as far as I'm aware. Of course, I'm pretty aware of the gaming scene in general, so maybe I just saw stuff that you missed.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 05:59:49 PM »
Well it didn't sell very well (according to PC Gamer), it went into the bargin bin realy fast.  My friend Steve bought it for $19 only a coupple months after the game was released, and for a game that was lauded 2-3 months is increadbly fast.  The new Tomb Radier game is still $30.  It got all those year end awards because it was a good game (as I stated in my previous post).  And there are lots of mods because its a good game and it has mod tools that came with the game.