Author Topic: Whatever Happened...  (Read 1600 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Whatever Happened...
« on: January 31, 2004, 11:55:47 AM »
Whatever Happened to old school games?

Duck Hunt, Tetris, Mario Brothers.  I know that they are all being remade, but I would just like it if they went back to nintendo.  It just feels better that way.  There are way to many games that suck coming out these days.  It's all about how fast can they get it on shelves.  But back in the day of atari and nintendo entertainment system they took their time, and may not have had great technology, but made great games.  They should at least put more effort into games and worry less about how the game plays and how it's storyline works than how fast they can get it out and how many people they can get to buy it.  You'll make more money with a good game anyway....

Gorgon the Wonder Cow
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Whatever Happened...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 12:17:44 PM »
Stop, look, and listen. Or so mother knows best.

Foot in mouth, make duck look delicious.

I do believe people have gone over this before. Yes there is a verscimilitude of people coming out with poop, and its replacement, crappy poop. But there are still some quality games coming out. Call of Duty, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Knights of the Old Republic, (there isn't anything good coming out on the PS2 though, ever, again) Battlefield 1942, etc.

So, like a plow through snow, you should keep your dol-lars in your pocket, let it waft for a while, and then, when someone comes out with a good game, and you know what good is, then you get it. (Wow, that was a lot of commas in that last sentence) Plus, like restaurants, developers find winter a bad time to release good stuff. Summer/fall would be your best bet when the goods, being replacable, come out.

I'm sure I've added nothing special to this, and others will probably come up with better stuff. But that is what you get, from me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 01:42:27 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 03:06:27 PM »
You said Sphyx was a good game.  How good is it, cause I heard it was the crappiest flavor of crap.  But that was from an unreliable source.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 03:06:54 PM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 04:03:23 PM »
It isn't flagrant crap. Its a fun game. Its a bit short, but I had a lot of fun playing the game. There's a thread here that talks about it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 07:09:19 PM »
Most good games these days take 2 to (In Duke Nukem: Forevers case) 374 years to make. Back in the days of Atari, ET was made in six weeks by a single programmer in order to hit the Shelves at Christmas.

Originality may be mostly dead in games, but presentation and general quality has increased.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 01:41:49 PM »
I suppose you are right...

But I still miss the quality of pong on a tiny TV.  Of coarse, I woudn't be to happy if we never saw windwaker or Vietiful Joe.

Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke