Author Topic: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War  (Read 1899 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
« on: March 16, 2004, 07:24:12 PM »
This game has apparently been announced for quite a while, but i just saw it. My gut instinct with any GW video game port is to dismiss it as inevitable crap, but they've got Relic doing it--the Homeworld guys, for goodness' sake. The first Homeworld was Game of the Year, and the subsequent titles have had incredible production values. This might actually be good.

http://www.relic.com/corp/news/2003/121003.php
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 08:38:28 PM »
I think it could be pretty good. I've always wondered when they might try something like this.

I don't think it would be very easy to screw up. All of the armies are pretty unique, and there are a lot of them. This also means the game might end up being insanely long. I just hope they don't  limit the missions to like 5 or 6 per army. That would be kind of disheartening. I'd rather have a massive 5 GB game then something that I can beat in a week.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 02:52:26 PM »
Never underestimate GW's power to screw up a game. Also, I wouldn't count on having a playable army for each 40k race, let alone a campaign. I imagine they'll pick three or four, probably Chaos, SM, IG, and Genestealers, and then use the others as random thugs in the campaigns, if at all.

They might prove me wrong, though. How cool would it be to actually have all of the armies, let alone all of the variants? I still can't imagine them creating a separate campaign for more than four of the armies, but having them available for multiplayer would be great.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 05:59:43 PM »
Yeah, I know. I have Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen. They makes my eyes want to bleed. And they also puts me in a semi-comatose state for a few minutes every time they flip to a "cutscene".

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 06:02:06 PM »
The accolades from PC Gamer Magazine continue to unfold. In addition to recently naming Relic Entertainment the 'It Developer' of 2004 and listing Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War as one of the top-10 titles to watch out for in 2004, PC Gamer has chosen Dawn of War for the cover of its April issue. Inside, readers will find a
5-page preview written by PC Gamer Editor-in-Chief, Rob Smith, with exclusive information about Dawn of War, including races, gameplay, and other juicy details.

Here are some quotes from the article:

"Mobbed by Orks, the Force Commander pivots and delivers a devastating swirl attack. Though the story will explain the weapon upgrade from power sword to ass-beating bludgeon-stick (as it will likely come to be known), Angelos will be the only real persistent character. And the game design decision backing this function is critical to catapulting this DoW from hardcore-strategy niche to broadly appealing genre leader."
"Even at this early stage, DoW's firefights could be the definitive statement on explosive combat. Swirling the fully 3D camera around the devastated landscape, slowing time to watch the detail of spent shells flicking out of a machinegun chamber, and panning back to drench yourself with the spectacle of Space Marines wailing on Orks is a thing of beauty."
"At a distance, squads will cut down charging opponents before switching to power swords to carve up, cleft, cleave, and c-c-c-crucify the ravenous hordes of Orkish brutality."
"Ammo and amputations, bullets and blood - each battle scene ends with a collection of cadavers. It's that simple."
"We have high hopes that the setting and the license serve merely as the icing on a satisfying strategic battle cake. Cry havoc and unleash the Dawn of War."

Another press release by them. Sounds like a ground control variant, which is what i have been demanding all along. Screenshots (or renders, you decide) :

http://www.relic.com/images/dow/screens/Assault!.jpg

http://www.relic.com/images/dow/screens/Battle_03.jpg
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 06:56:34 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 06:34:54 PM »
post to get those pictures out of the recent posts page

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »
Holy crap, those screenshots look good. So we know it has space marines and orks--has anyone seen hints of other races?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 12:42:47 PM »
Here is hoping for the tyranids. They could be inhumanly good fun to play with and against.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 08:11:08 PM »
Here's to hoping that it isn't WC3 with a 40K mod...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »
I should also note that the 40k game Chaos Gate is one of the best tactical strategy games i have ever played. You played the ultra marines beating the crap out of chaos marines. Very cool. Has some excellent music as well.

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 02:10:43 PM »
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war/511768p1.html

Interesting new stuff. I don't like the idea of resources - dressing them up as calling in re-inforcements is all well and good, but its still resources at the end of the day.

This picture is nice though : http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/620/620554/img_2114123.html

Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 04:11:46 PM »
I will be uncontrolably angry if I cannot play as tyranids.  I need my swarms upon swarms of angry beasts to make me happy...

On a side note holy crap that looks great.  This one will definately be taking the place of my AoM when it comes out.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!