Author Topic: MMORPG Guilds  (Read 1733 times)

Nytwalker

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I don't do THOSE kinds of photos.
    • View Profile
    • Eyeris Images
MMORPG Guilds
« on: November 25, 2004, 03:25:26 AM »
As some of you may know, i'm playing World of Warcraft.  I've been thinking lately that it would be fun to start a guild.  I'm interested in hearing ideas related to this.  Stuff like:

Guild Names
Guild Organization (officers? elected officals?)
Guild Rules
Guild Purpose

A few of my ideas:

Names: The Hunt, Coven (spellcasters only?), Unforgiven (love that Metallica song),

Organization: I figure you really need to have leaders to help organize stuff, control guild funds, reward/punish those that deserve it, etc.  As to how to organize, I think it would be interesting if it was done via elections

Rules: 1-Have a REAL name (I hate people who have names like L33tOrc)  2-Have fun, don't take things too seriously.  3-No swearing (you never know who might be playing, also see rule 2).  4- Support your fellow guild-members, donate unused items, this will make it easier for everyone involved.  5- Don't grief, give respect to your enemies.

Purpose: To help people have fun and give them ready-made groups and activities with people they know and trust.

Needs a lot more work, these are just some of my ramblings.  Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: MMORPG Guilds
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 09:55:28 AM »
you could make the focus of your guild to hunt down and kill griefers.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 08:08:04 PM »
Then you could call it "Who Griefs the Griefers?"

I think that part of a guild's purpose should be to watch its members' levels: either try to keep everyone the same level, or go out of your way to keep a nice spread of levels; that way everyone always has guildies of the right level to group with. The guild I joined in DAoC was very nice and helpful, but they were all so much higher level than I was that I never had anything in common with them and never did anything with them.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 08:16:01 PM »
That sort of thing eventually just came about in my World of Warcraft beta guild, without any real planning that I know of. We had a whole bunch of people that hit 40 at roughly the same time (partially I think due to the draw of having mounts) and we tried to include guildies in instance runs if it was at all feasible, in addition to helping with quests and such. There was also a fair number of folks in their 20s that I didn't interact much with, but we had a sizable number of all-guild parties going during peak hours.

One thing that I think can really help with that sort of an organization (meaning maintaining even levels in a guild/group) is the rested state feature. Without the end-of-beta deadline to worry about, rested state actually means that it's just fine to meander around with a couple different characters, letting some rest while you play with others and increasing the total advancement load you obtain, and allowing for some guild members to justify leaving their characters idle for longer than they usually would and giving others a chance to catch up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 08:16:26 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 03:09:48 AM »
My guild is realy good.  We basicaly keep a spread of high and low level people and the high levels are more then willing to help run people through instances and help get equipment.  We also manage to help out with equipment and such.  It's nice to allwayse beable to group with your guild, but I also look for one that even if I'm not able to group with I'd enjoy talking with in guild chat.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 04:53:03 PM »
That's a pretty good description of what I look for in a guild...never felt the need for much else.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 05:16:51 PM »
I've only grouped twice in WoW, including the beta, and I left as soon as we'd acheived our mutual goals. For some reason I just can't get into it--I see the quests as the main source of XP, and grouping with other people just gets in the way. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 05:21:06 PM »
I rarely did at lower levels either. At higher levels there's more and more point to it. It's not *required* to party for the average quests, but often the creeps come too many and/or too close together to take them reliably. I still soloed frequently at higher levels, but there are some quests out there that definitely suggest group play.