Author Topic: Question for N8sumsion about Robotech Invasion  (Read 1662 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Question for N8sumsion about Robotech Invasion
« on: December 21, 2004, 02:32:57 AM »
Is this game worth getting. I saw a used copy the other day for 38 bucks and that seemed kind of steep? Of course I love Robotech so....

Since you programmed some of it, what do you think?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 02:55:57 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

n8sumsion

Re: Question for N8sumsion about Robotech Invasion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 10:52:07 AM »
Umm... well, I'd love to say run right out and buy it, of course. But let me give you a little more info. I'm going to assume you're already a Robotech fan.

If you're looking for quality time with characters from the series, you'll be disappointed. Harmony Gold wanted us to create new characters and not use the ones from the series, because they are planning on relaunching the series in the future, something post-invasion. So there are a few brief cameos from Scott and Lancer, but nothing substantial.

It's a FPS, and it's a good one, but it isn't going to stack up to Halo 2 dollar-for-dollar. We had a much smaller team, budget and time frame to do it in. The multiplayer modes are good, but from what I understand there's not a lot of people on Xbox Live playing them, so you'll have to find some friends if you want to get enjoyment out of the multiplayer modes. Actually, this is really my favorite part of the game, as using the cyclone mode in deathmatches adds a lot of complexity to the matches.

It's a game I'm proud of, though since I wasn't in charge of the design there are some things I would have changed. But overall, I think it does what it set out to do, and that is give the player a sense of helping the robotech forces drive the Invid off the earth.

I hate paying full price for any game. I've only bought 3 games at full price this whole year (Star Wars Galaxies, Fable, World of Warcraft). But $38 for a used copy? I think the game's price point is set at $40 new. And judging by sales of the game (releasing a sci-fi fps less than a month before Halo 2 probably wasn't the best decision on Take 2's part), it probably won't be too long before the price drops down a bit.

Bottom line: in all honesty, I think this is a game you will get your money's worth out of, even at $40. However, if you can wait a couple of months, I'm reasonably sure the price will drop a bit. And it would be a great game to pick up for $20-$30.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 11:13:25 AM »
It's Xbox only though?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

n8sumsion

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 03:38:01 PM »
No, there are Xbox and PS2 versions of the game. Both support online play. The only major difference between the two versions is that the xbox features higher poly models and higher-rez textures on some of the characters.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 04:03:56 PM »
Cool I'll put that solidly on my if the price drops 25% list,... I guess I reall have to get Xbox live hooked up... which means a router... crud...

oh well..

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 04:28:27 PM »
I rented the game a few weeks ago to kill some time and I was not impressed with the game overall.  I love Robotech, but this game just didn't do it for me.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 09:15:57 PM »
So... it's not on Gamecube?
                William S. Burroughs

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 09:43:51 PM »
dude nothings on gamecube, except paper mario... which does look cool...

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 01:04:17 AM »
and don't forget the Resident Evil games and one of the best games ever made: Eternal Darkness
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 01:07:17 AM »
and the metroids, and Zeldas.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 01:56:37 AM »
metroid sucks,... but Zelda's ok...

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 04:41:54 AM »
and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Animal Crossing, and Harvest Moon which if I ever see for sale again, I will buy immediately.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

n8sumsion

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »
We didn't make a Gamecube version, because neither TDK (original publisher) or Take 2 (final publisher) wanted to fund development for that platform. The previous Robotech game Vicious Cycle made - Robotech Battlecry - was made for the Gamecube, but the decision was made that the Gamecube sku wasn't cost-effective enough to warrant funding the sequel.

Bottom line: not enough Gamecube owners out there to justify the cost of making a Gamecube version. Since we're not the ones paying for the development of the game, it's not our call.

As you can see from comments like Riccan's, not everyone enjoyed playing Robotech Invasion. Obviously, I'm going to be a bit biased. I played the game every day for over a year as we worked on it, I was happy with the result, I'm going to judge it a bit more favorably than the average person. I'll also typically point people to online reviews that gave it 8+ out of 10, rather than the reviews that gave it 5 out of 10.

To be clear, whether or not you buy the game is probably not going to affect me financially in any way. We would have to sell a few hundred thousand units to see any royalties back on the game. I don't want you to think I'm saying, "Yes, buy the game" in order to fatten my wallet. I'm saying, I think the game is worth the money at a $20-$30 price, and it's a fun game.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 01:23:02 PM by n8sumsion »

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »
Ok, I didn't like the NES and SNES Metroids, but Metroid Prime was one of the few games I've been able to finish recently. It's very well developed and is just a blast to play. Zelda on the other hand is more tedious.
                William S. Burroughs