Author Topic: Turn-based strategy  (Read 1985 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Turn-based strategy
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:14:20 PM »
You can't read this site for too long without coming across one of my many rants about how much I love turn-based strategy games (or Tactical RPGs, as I usually call them). I lauded Silent Storm, and even now, months later, I'll pull it out every now and then and play it--one time Mustard and I got together and pretended it was a multiplayer co-op game, just because it's so dang fun that, despite having many other games on hand, Silent Storm was the one we really wanted to play. And now, as if to prove me right, Silent Storm is GameSpot's 2004 Best Game No One Played: http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/bestof2004/day3w_20.html

Most of their little essay is about how the abysmal sales of Silent Storm will probably spell the doom of turn-based strategy/tactical RPGs, and I have to concede that they have a very good point. Is there no hope for my pet genre?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Turn-based strategy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 09:59:11 PM »
Based on my enjoyment of things like FF Tactics, I hope so. Another one that was really good once upon a time, was Super Battle Conflict. Does anyone remember this game?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

cheesegrater

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I'm a Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:30:53 PM »
I heard "Steel Panthers" is good. It's freeware. 400mb download. :D I haven't played it yet because it's so complicated?

http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/main.asp

cheesegrater

• Level 1
  • I'm a Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:14:51 AM »
Wow! I tried Steel Panthers and it's amazing stuff!!! If you like turn-based stratergy download it right now!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:15:13 AM by cheesegrater »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 12:05:22 PM »
Well...cool. I'll try it out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 12:08:07 PM »
I started a download this morning, but I only had a few minutes so it was only at 25% when I left for work. I'll see if it'll even install when I get home.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 02:45:23 PM »
ok, I've had problems with this. It won't start the campaign and the tutorial doesn't... tutor. It runs, but it doesn't explain anything. I can't seem to find a manual either. frankly, I'm a little frustrated and don't really want to put that much effort into making something work that's supposed to be "so easy to play" like they claim.

cheesegrater

• Level 1
  • I'm a Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 11:05:33 PM »
Did the setup extract all the zips? Also there is a patch. I tried installing it but I only have a 6 gig HD so I have no space at the moment. I played the original steel panthers and I really liked it.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 10:37:49 AM »
there was only one file in the zip. Well, three. But two were text files about the site it was downloaded from.