Author Topic: Battlefield 2  (Read 5367 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Battlefield 2
« on: February 27, 2005, 03:58:02 PM »
I'm pretty new here, but just heard about Battlefield 2, made by the same folks as Battlefield 1942, vietnam, etc.  Anyway, there is a new twist to the game.  After you move up rank sufficiently, you can take on the role of a general who doesn't actually play in the first-person shooter role, rather they have a 'god view'.  They watch where their team is (up to 32 players), can send in more ammo, call in air strike, etc.

I'm interested to see how it all plays out.  In Counter-Strike, I've seen people try to get folks to work together.  And it seems when you have folks with a plan, things go much better for all involved.  But almost without exception, everybody ignores the person trying to take on the leadership role.  It will be interesting to see if by having this role that allows a player to see the whole picture, other players will actually follow orders and work together as a team.

Anyway, comes out in June.  Looks to be pretty fun.  There is an article in Wired magazine on it, and the article may even be online by now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 09:56:00 PM by Firemeboy »
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Battlefield 2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »
welcome to the boards, Firemeboy! Be sure to read the FAQ and to introduce yourself!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 10:13:52 PM »
That role has been around plenty o times before. Check out Savage, Natural Selection, C&C Renegade.

But yes, BF2 looks interesting. I like the way that the commander gives orders to squad leaders who interpret them as way points for his men. Makes a lot more sense and more fun :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
Are those online games, though?  Does the person control AI, or actual people.  

I'm thinking about trying to do some official research on this.  That way I can get credit for school, and play Battlefield 2.  Oh, and it's a tax write-off...  :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 11:11:18 PM »
they were online.  I know with savage you sort of controlled both, though I never played it.  There's never been a game that's pulled it off well before though, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »
Savage sounds very similar to what you're talking about, and I hated it--good idea, though. The thing that might make it work with BF2 is the way you haev to earn the right to be the leader. That would mean that you wouldn't get morons jumping in and out of the HQ all the time, you'd be more likely to get experienced players who know what they're doing.

That still doesn't mean that people would listen to him, as you say.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 03:39:46 AM »
Yeah, the thing I wonder is will the 'general' have some way to punish those that don't follow orders.  If so, that would, in my mind, lead to some very interesting questions...  I know at least, if you don't 'obey', the general might not call in an air-strike, or send you more ammo, but if there was some other way a general could punish, or reward obedience, then that may change things a bit...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 05:34:46 AM »
If they had any way of forceing player to do something then you'd see the game bomb.  No one, especially FPS players, want to have someone else be able to control your unit.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »
In Savage everyone played the combat infantry units you usually get in fantasy RTS's, and were given waypoints, upgrades like speed, and new weapon options by the commander. They could also do the things like speed up building construction, do mining to get more cash in, kill animals for cash to get personal upgrades etc. The commander also controlled peon NPC's who did the basic building and mining stuff.

Great game, especially when you had 40 people a side with massive firefights and running melee battles. Felt like you were really in a wierd fantasy battle. It never did that well though, which is a shame.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 11:27:56 AM »
I've been agitating for some time for a game like BF2 sounds.  Having given it a bit of thought, there has to be a feedback system where the "generals" and squad leaders get to give simple judgement on the quality of the FPSers, and a way for FPSers to judge "generals".  Essentially, if a general/squadleader gets a player who is messing things up, he should be able to boot him and put a call out online for another player to replace him mid-battle.

So, generals can judge FPSers by how many times they've been booted with malice (more than one kind of booting: malice for stupid guys who mess things up, benign for guys who are just inexperienced?) and FPSers can judge generals on their win-loss ratio.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:29:08 AM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 01:23:33 PM »
Will players be able to choose if they want to be the general/squad leader?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 01:50:56 PM »
I think a better system, rather than punishing people who don't follow orders, is some sort of reward for following orders.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 01:52:08 PM »
Well as i understand it there will be honour ratings in the game, and the more kills you get, objectives done etc your honour goes up. Teamkilling etc makes it go down, and you can put server limits on amount of honour needed...

What that means is you'll get high honour servers full of elitiests, and low honour ones full of idiots with a hard time trying to jump between them. Your system would be open to abuse with players spitefully knocking down each others ratings and stuff.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
If they're smart then, they'll also be able to mark servers as mid-level honor locations, so you can move through.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »
What any of these systems would exacerbate is the steep learning curve--there's no single player portion, so the only way to hone your skills is to play online, which would require you to play with jerks and potentially never get good at it. A good LAN party with friends might be the only way to play without getting roasted by morons or booted for inexperience.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net