Author Topic: Jack Thompson  (Read 2749 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Jack Thompson
« on: October 17, 2005, 04:59:06 PM »
So for those who don't follow video game news, freaky wing-nut anti-game crusader Jack Thompson made a challenge to video game developers a few days ago: if they would make a game based on his hyper-violent criteria (in which the targets were all developers and retailers of video games), he would donate $10,000 to the charity picked by Paul Eibeler, head of Rockstar Entertainment. There has been a lot of fallout, inlcuding a harsh letter from the National Institute on Media and the Family, which completely disowned him for being a lunatic.

So today some modders came out with the game he asked for and as expected he refused to pay--not because they were only modders, or because the game didn't meet his criteria, but because the challenge was "satire" and the offer of charity money not meant to be taken seriously. So Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade have picked the charity they think Eibeler would choose, and donated $10,000 to it in Jack Thompson's name.

That frickin' ROCKS.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Jack Thompson
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 05:28:08 PM »
bwahahahaha

That guy's a wank.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 05:55:11 PM »
Yet another reason that Penny Arcade is awesome. Oh yeah, and that people condemning video games have no right to seize the moral high ground.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 07:17:06 PM »
Oh man. That is just perfect. As tycho puts it, 'you lose'.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 12:27:45 AM »
My favorite Thompson moment is when the National Institute on Media and the Family wrote the letter telling him to stop saying they support him and he freaked out and said that this was all a conspiracy against him instituted by Target and Walmart and is thus suing them.

I have to add what the PA guys did was really classy, they're not stooping to his level and showing who the mature participant of this crazy debacle is.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 12:28:06 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:06:29 AM »
Oh come on spriggan. We're talking about a man who, in a email exchange with the VG Cats creator, threatened to sue him because Scott said, 'You emailed me this form letter, and I'd like to know why'. Jack emailed him back saying, 'drop this now, or I'll sue'. Just because he waves vaporware lawsuits around doesn't mean he ever does sue.

The mans gone in the head. Wikipedia article - his career is mind boggling.

Just so you know, I find it delightful that there is not even a whisper of this sort of thing in Britain, except for an occasional attempt by the tabloids to sir up controversey.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 08:08:17 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 08:55:40 AM »
Oh I know he's sue happy, I've seen the VG cats thing before, I just find it funny that it's now all a conspiracy against him.

At least he has Squidi on his side.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 03:01:34 PM »
Well now he's faxed a rather weak letter to the Seattle PD asking them to arrest the employees of PA claiming that they have begun a criminal harrasment campaign. He blames their campaign on his 60 minutes interview and then fills the letter with all sorts of unrealated information about Rockstar Games and how they are really cop killers. I honestly think he's become unhinged because his arguments and writings have been barely cohearent for a long time.

Oh and apparently PA is an extortion factory... though Im unclear on what they are "extorting" precisely.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 03:15:09 PM »
mmm... Eric smells a restraining order in the works.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 03:23:08 PM »
except PA has a record of him Harrasing them... he called personally just to yell and scream...
Matter of fact they should file a restraining order...
Itd be nice.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 03:56:11 PM »
uhm... that's what I meant.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 04:37:47 PM »
oh, thought you meant him and not them...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 11:05:26 PM »
I'm just waiting for him to actually file court papers against someone like PA, you know they'll counter sue and end up winning.

Oddly enough the Seattle PD, according to Gamespot, has said they haven't gotten any faxes or requests from Thompson about arresting the PA guys.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:21:00 PM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 12:31:02 AM »
Well now Thompson is getting the Feds involved claiming that Gabe linking to the Florida bar association's website is an act of criminal harassment since Gabe knew PA's fanbase would click on it and send letters/e-mails.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 09:18:13 AM »
uhm... isn't that a part of the normal political process? If they're harassing him, he's been harassing a much larger group of people for a much longer time.