Author Topic: star wars: battlefront 2 review  (Read 4082 times)

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
star wars: battlefront 2 review
« on: November 03, 2005, 03:23:43 AM »
i just finished the campaign (it is broken into 2 sections).  it took about 5 hours roughly.  I thought the game was really fun and i can't wait to dive into some multiplayer with my roomies.  I think this game is much better than the last battlefront.  They lengthened the campaign mode and it actually ties into the story more.  

The first section is based on the episode 3 battles, while the second section deals with stuff between 3 and 4 and it was cool to see how things tie in (ie: why the stormtroopers don't talk like the clone troopers).  The various vehicles you can use are also fun to use, though i suck at flying in the space battles.  The usage of jedi is fun, but i thought it was kind of hard to use them to their full potential.  They also don't stay for very long since they don't heal.  Another nice touch they added is they made sure to incorporate a couple cool levels from the first battlefront (geonosis, kamino).  

Overall, the game is very fun and worth a rental for a get together with your buds.  If you are like me and get tired of the shooter multiplayer genre after a couple hours then i would just reccommend renting this game.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: star wars: battlefront 2 review
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 03:44:07 AM »
The game has been getting some great reviews (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927131.asp) and I almost bought it today but stopped and came to my senses and got Civ 4 instead.  I just don't like FPS enough nor do I enjoy playing them with the kids that infest the servers, if I had bought it I probably would have only played it one or twice before getting tired of the game.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 04:19:55 AM »
yeah, i would like to see some civ 4 when i head over on saturday to see how that is.  my roommate let me borrow civ 3 and it was pretty fun.  He even has the civ 3 board game!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 02:23:05 PM »
I got Civ 4 on release day.  It is delicious in all ways.

So why don't stormtroopers talk like clonetroopers?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:58:34 PM »
They are not clones, for a start :P

And I've ordered Civ4. It'll probably have the exact same issue i have with all civ games - ie, they force you into the historical path, so you get deluded with military tech around 1930 irregardless of how your game is going - rather than letting you tell your own story, it forces you to re-tread the historical one with different names and faces. Alpha Centauri was about the only game to ever sidestep those issues.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:48:49 AM »
there is a rebellion on kamino and the empire brings in bobba fett because he knows the cloning plant.  basically after the rebellion is suppressed, the empire decides it is too dangerous to have all the clones from the same template.  So from then on they start diversifying the clones.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:37:43 AM »
Wait...Do you get to play Boba in the game?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 12:53:32 PM »
According to a review I read, I think you do. I may have read it wrong, however.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 10:10:04 PM »
yep boba is in the game.  you get him during the kamino level in the campaign and during the jabba's palace level in instant action.  

I must say though having played with harbringer yesterday during the instant action levels, the computer is quite difficult to go head-to-head with(i know preposition ending a sentence, sue me).  It makes it more challenging and I guess it is better than the easy computer AI from the first battlefront.  Basically if you do not play like a war hero killing more than 4 times the amount of kills any other cpu player does, then you will lose the level.

One other funny thing is there is a new hunt game on instant action where you try to get to a certain number of kills of indiginous creatures.  We played on endor, so we were trying to kill ewoks.  It was so fun sniping those teddy bear fools!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 11:29:04 PM »
Yeah, except we got schooled by those teddy bear fools. The enemy AI is way tougher than the ally AI. Basically, you have to carry the team. Other than that, though, I agree that it is better than the original. And Cyan10101 is just jealous that I am a l337 fighter pilot and he is a pathetic n00b.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:17:40 AM by Harbinger »
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 01:38:14 AM »
i hate leet speak!! you will pay for your insolence harbringer...

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 09:30:10 PM »
i hate leet speak!! you will pay for your insolence harbringer...

ph33r t3h l337 sp33|< n00b!
Name the time and place. I will p|\|z3d j00!
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 09:49:59 AM »
/me looks into suspending an account

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 09:44:38 PM »
i am still baffled at what that second to last word is.  i can't understand it.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 10:32:58 PM »
Sorry, I misspelled it. It should have been "pw|\|z3d" which translates to "ownzed" which is apparently the only tense of "to own" that exists in leetspeak. At least, that's what they use in Megatokyo and Ctrl+Alt+Del, my sources for all things leet. So, e, don't sweat it. I'll stop now. Unless cyan gets all uppity on me again.