Author Topic: City of Villains  (Read 9563 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: City of Villains
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2005, 05:33:22 AM »
He only ever logged on at 4:30am GMT at the earliest, when I was playing, so I only saw him twice that I can recall. Three times maybe. And we only did a mission together the once :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2005, 12:12:48 PM »
We did two missions together, Ent, one in that park and one in...some other place, with Living Dead Girl. I play a lot actually, but usually at very weird times and, I must admit, I often don't make it past the character creator (because I get excited and want to try a new idea).

I'm kind of surprised that Warpo is winning, and that he's winning by so much--nearly double Wychwinter, who's the nearest competitor. So I'm curious: who is voting for whom, and why? Treespeaker is the same class, with a better backstory; Never is the cutest, and has the best name; Fragment has the coolest costume, and possibly the best backstory of the top 5; and Wychwinter has cool sleeves. For me, the thing that makes Warpo cool is the way his unique look (sort of a carnival magician) blends with his powers--he can toss people into the air, hold them in place, summon pool tables and throw them at people, and so on, which all seem like pretty magical effects despite the fact that there is no "magic" powerset. So I like him too, I just want to know what you guys like about him.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2005, 12:20:23 PM »
I think Warpo's just getting the "he's so goofy he's cool" vote.  I like Fragment for all that you mentioned, plus I think she'd be the best nemesis for UXB.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2005, 05:13:43 PM »
My vote is for Fragment -- keeping her look, but changing her powers.  I really don't want to read a blog about Warpo.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2005, 07:42:19 PM »
Also a possibility. Any of these characters could be tweaked or remade with different powers and/or archetypes.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2005, 07:51:50 AM »
My vote is for Fragment -- keeping her look, but changing her powers.  I really don't want to read a blog about Warpo.

True Warpo wouldn't be as interesting of a blog, though if he were to remake fragment it would just be a Brute probably.  Personally I think MA Stalkers have an interesting powerset, they're like controllers but melee and they have to hit to do the effect.  Of course the status effect isn't guaranteed on a hit either, but it's a cool take on a stealth/MA combo.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2005, 12:08:16 PM »
We could redo Fragment as a Brute or a Stalker, maybe with Claws or Ninja Blade. I think his complaint about her (and about Never) is that they don't really have superpowers, they're just good at fighting.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2005, 12:42:16 PM »
You want to stay away from a Claw stalker, there are problem with the animations in it so its very slow attack wise instead of the intended fast attack.  
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2005, 01:48:04 PM »
Yeah -- that's exactly what I meant.  If we're having a supervillian, they ought to have superpowers, not just martial arts.  Also, from reading Fell's description, she's pretty weak compared to the others.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2005, 02:56:55 PM »
Warpo got mine cause he reminded me  of Batmans Mad Hatter...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »
The Stalker Martial Art powers are quite possibly the least damaging attack set of any combat class, in CoV or CoH. It's very fast, and has some cool crowd control like Spriggity said, but I think a lot of my distaste with the Stalker was due to picking such a non-lethal powerset. Her character concept would fit nicely with a Brute using Dark Melee (a creepy set with lots of clouds of energy and whatnot) or a Stalker using Ninja Blade (though that's not really a superpower either). Technically, Fragment does have super-enhanced reflexes, but those aren't as cool as big flashy attack powers.

Speaking of Brutes, I played Never for a while last night in a group, and she really cleaned up. We had another brute for a while, on a 5-man team, and we went through stuff quickly but I never built up any appreciable Fury. When that Brute left, along with one other, and we were down to three I was able to build up quite a bit, so I thought it was just group size, but we ended up back at 5 people and I was still able to get a lot of Fury in a protracted fight, so I think the big difference is the presence of another Brute. If there are two melee classes fighting each other for targets, you don't get much Fury, but if you're the only one it's much easier. Incidentally, the group had the dumbest Corruptor in the world--he would start every fight by firing off his biggest aoe attack, usually before we were ready, and then we'd all have to save him. He died three times, to no one's surprise.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2005, 03:44:19 PM »
Brutes fury is their cool ability but it's also their Achilles heal, especially in PvP since your opponent can see your furry gage and just run away once it gets to a certain level, it also sucks in PvE if you're in a group with hight damage output like you've mentioned.

A ninja stalker does the same base damage as a MA stalker but has a defenses debuff that's stackable so you can eventually out damage the MAs its also has the best defense of any Villain class once it gets a certain ability, if you want high damage output you'll have to take Energy Melee or wait to see what Electric Melee or Knife Fighting turns out to be in the next update (if they're in).  The only stalker with super powers I guess is Energy Melee, since your hands glow, besides that they're just your standard ninja/Kung-foo people.  I guess there's Thorn/spike Stalkers too, they're the second highest base damage when it comes to Stalkers (keep forgetting about them).

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2005, 01:32:41 PM »
It's looking like Fragment is the favorite, though not by much. The voting officially closes whenever I get a really good idea for a new poll.

So are you guys voting for the current Fragment, or some kind of new, revamped Fragment? I'm assuming revamped, because nobody was voting for her until we started talking about redoing her powers and/or archetype.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2005, 04:54:14 PM »
I personally don't have an opinion on whether or not you should change her, just make sure it's what you'll enjoy playing and writing about.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2005, 06:31:48 PM »
And Fragment is the winner. I find this ironic, because I made her first, thought "I'll play her," and then thought, "no, I'll do a big thing in the blog where I let people pick their favorite." I should have just trusted my instincts, doggone it!

I probably will, however, make her a Brute. The trouble with the Brute is that I don't think any of the secondary powersets are a good match for her. I'll play around and toss up some screenshots.