Author Topic: The Sims  (Read 4533 times)

The Bot

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I have a PhD in comedy, & a diploma in..in..Fiona?
    • View Profile
    • Fantastic Fantasy
The Sims
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:37:27 PM »
Ok, so this is my favorite video game of all time. Have ya played it? What do you think? Have you got any hints/cheats? Please, let's discuss?
Frankly, I'm shocked. But, even more frankly, I'm always shocked.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: The Sims
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »
I wasn't impressed.  I need more game in my games than it provides.  The Sims is just too much simulation for me, so it is aptly named.

I do have a great story though.  One of my friend's sims was greatly entertained by the microwave.  Everytime he cooked something he'd just stand there and clap and cheer.  It really made him happy.  One day, while he was celebrating near the microwave he spontaneously combusted and died.  Brilliant.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 03:52:07 PM »
That's awesome Dr P. It sounds sort of what student life is supposed to be like.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »
That same thing happened to me once. But I got better.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 07:17:02 PM »
Sims killed video gaming.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 07:19:06 PM »
Video killed the radio star. It's the cycle of life.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 02:49:15 AM »
And a new version of Civilization usually marks a galactic rebirth.

Just sayin'

The Bot

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • Fantastic Fantasy
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 03:28:17 AM »
It sounds like you're talking about the original Sims...
Have you tried the Sims 2? It's a lot better.

It's funny, everyone seems to hate it, but it was voted as #1 PC Game of All TIme!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
That's because all the nerds hated it. It sold so many copies that there was talk of removing it and it's expansion packs from the top 10 charts, here in the uk, because it was boring to see 4 or 5 spaces taken up by various Sims entries.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:14:29 PM »
Voted by who? Electronic Arts?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 12:48:30 PM »
All I know is we got the Sims 2 (PC version) cause I enjoyed the first one and every time I try to play it, our computer locks up. We try everything we can to make it work (including turning off the antivirus software which I think is ridiculous that you have to, especially if you have cable internet), but it didn't help. About 15 minutes in, it would lock up. And it's not that we have a bad system. We have a great All-in-Wonder video card, 1 GB RAM (which isn't amazing, but not bad), etc. (my husband built it so he made pretty good) and we haven't had any problems with any other games. It makes me so mad that we paid for the game and I don't even get to play it!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 01:07:02 PM »
Looked for patches? Gotten cracks to disable any retarded anti-piracy software bundled with the game (that kind of software often causes problems).

Fellfrosch

The Bot

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • Fantastic Fantasy
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 04:44:43 AM »
All I know is we got the Sims 2 (PC version) cause I enjoyed the first one and every time I try to play it, our computer locks up. We try everything we can to make it work (including turning off the antivirus software which I think is ridiculous that you have to, especially if you have cable internet), but it didn't help. About 15 minutes in, it would lock up. And it's not that we have a bad system. We have a great All-in-Wonder video card, 1 GB RAM (which isn't amazing, but not bad), etc. (my husband built it so he made pretty good) and we haven't had any problems with any other games. It makes me so mad that we paid for the game and I don't even get to play it!

Well, at least you enjoyed the first one.

Since everyone seems to think this is for Sims horror stories, here's mine:

On the original Sims, I had a family that was doing really well. But, shock horror, the game decided it didn't want to save this family. So, whenever I played with it, I had to leave the computer on for days at a time. Finally, I decided to turn it off (manually, with a switch), to stop it from overheating. I uninstalled it, and lost the family.

*Sob

It's like that film; "50 First Dates".

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 09:26:53 AM »
somehow it lacks the power to evoke emotional response that  I would expect from a typical.. i don't know... story of stepping on an ant?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 12:39:47 AM »
Voted by who? Electronic Arts?

Too be fair SE the SIMs is the most popular video game series ever, more copies have been sold world-wide then any other game (yes, more the halo 2) and the game was the #1 selling game for about 2 years straight (ie was the top selling game or expansion every month).  Also around 60% or so of the players are women, not men, which helps account for the high sales.  People who have never bought a video game before bought the sims or sims2.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.