Author Topic: DDO - Dungeons and Dragons Online  (Read 2501 times)

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
DDO - Dungeons and Dragons Online
« on: March 06, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
DDO is one of the latest releases for the Massively Multiplayer Online RPG's market.  I was curious if anyone here got in on the pre-release or had started playing.  I've heard mixed reports on the game play and have been trying to decide if it's worth the 15$ a month price tag on top of the initial output for the software.

Any opinions?

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: DDO - Dungeons and Dragons Online
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »
I have moral objections about paying a monthly fee to play a game I already own. THese objections would be much less prominent if I had some spare cash, but still...

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 03:28:56 PM »
I've yet to hear a reason to play this game instead of WoW.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »
Umm . . . you can only get to level 10 in DDO, and maybe if you play it for a while, then you'll be really happy to get back to WoW?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
I didn't find it that amazing. The in-built voice comm was great, apart from the smacktards who turned it off and refused to activate it (ie, they refused to hear THE REST OF THE PARTY). Other than that, the dungeons were fairly cool, including some traps and shirt that really made the rogue feel like a rogue, rather than some kind of retarded sneaking warrior. But the setting was desperately boring - Stormreach is a really bland city.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 01:12:53 AM »
I just decided to download the 7-day free trial from the google ad, you don't need to give them any CC info from what I've seen so it's worth trying it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 01:16:05 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 04:24:15 AM »
Some initial thoughts:

While the max level is 10, there seams to be several "sublevels" inside each level where you get, I think, action points to specialize in abilities more.

I'm not sold yet on D20 = good MMO, this feels like D&D which I guess is a good thing, but it feels like every other D&D game out there which is bad since those don't require you to pay a monthly fee.  I can't see a reason to play this over NWN 2 except this is Ebberon.

Things I like:

That tumble is action based, meaning you actually have to hold a button, shift, and move to use it.  Though I'm not sure what the point of putting more then say 3 points into is since from what I can tell the only benefit you get from higher ranks is to be able to wear armor with a higher dex penalty.

Active block, you hold the Shift key down to block, it gives combat a little more interaction then the standard wait and attack that most MMOs have.

You can jump and climb up things, that's cool, though I don't know what the point of the Jump skill is same thing with the swim skill.

There's no random killing like in other MMOs, so far everything has been dungeon based and I'm killing monsters and not wandering around trying to find things to kill.

Things I don't like:

Bland character models.  I didn't like any of the character models nor did I see any cool armor in my short time in the game.

It felt too much like NWN, Baldurs gate, ect but with the restrictions of a MMO.  You're limited on how you can heal, go and play.  It will probably be quite a while until you get any epic feel from this.  Game play wise it felt like every other D&D game I've played yet I have to deal with online fees and all the morons that flock to MMOs.

It's not very solo friendly.  I died about 4 times in less then 2 hours, your very limited on your healing options (you can't heal over time) and you get very little money to actually buy food or healing pots.  And I have no idea how a mage could solo this game considering you have to have a rest area to get spells back and I have yet to find one in a non-training dungeon.

When ever rogues open anything they come out of stealth.  And Stealth isn't as good as in other MMOs, I think I've managed to sneak up on 3 things and 2 of them were sleeping.

Bows really suck in the game.  To shoot you have to wait for your character to reload, which is to simulate attack speeds, yet you cannot move while reloading or you'll cancel it.  No strafing and attacking or kiting.  Maybe there's a feat that fixes this but It's frustrating.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »
I should mention I'm on Xoriat (server) if anyone else decides to use the trial.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 10:02:13 PM »
This game is starting to grow on me some, at first I didn't like the idea of not being able to heal in dungeons a negative but it does add a sense of challenge and some skill to the quests however I'd had to redo so many due to the randomness of combat.

I really think that Atari and Turbine made a big mistake with making this a traditional MMO, if they had chosen the Guild Wars route I could see this much more popular.  Not only could they fill out Xendrik but they could add mainland Eberron and such to really give players replay value.  Plus I'd see a lot more people buying it, like me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:03:31 PM by Spriggan »