• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: GTA
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 08:45:10 AM »
you know what would fix that? People not responding to a post just to say "you suck." those posts suck worse than "Game X is cool!"

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »
I didn't just say, "you suck." I told him that his post was poorly conceived, and that that was no way to start a thread. I also told him not to start any more threads until he put some thought into them before he posted them. True, I was sarcastic about it, but I think it got my point across. And I think it was a point that had to be conveyed.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
i'm just telling you how it came across. I'm starting to really think we could use a LOT less aggression in our posts.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 07:31:49 PM »
i'm just telling you how it came across. I'm starting to really think we could use a LOT less aggression in our posts.

QFT. Newbies get a hella hazing on here, and I think it really hurts the forum growth.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 05:55:03 PM »
Since there's a thread on the main page about GTA I thought I'd bring up the FTC's ruling on Hot Coffie from Joystiq:

The harsh words give the impression that this is the game industry's final warning on the subject of full disclosure to ratings systems -- the FTC ruling did note that all future violations by Take-Two will results in an $11,000 fine per violation (i.e. per game sold). As GameSpot extrapolated, with 7.27 million copies of San Andreas sold in the US, Take Two would have had to pay almost $80 billion dollars.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »
Ouch. That's a lotta billion dollars.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

SUPER HAMBURGER

• Level 1
  • do do de da ddddoooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 08:59:58 AM »
I like the GTA games because i go to the beach in the morning and kill the runners with a bat.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
mmmmmmmm bigmac, mmmmmmmm cheese burger, mmmmmm any random burger

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 02:42:10 AM »
Since this has turned into an opinion post, I'll just say that I'm agreeing with Spriggan and Archon.  I hate these "Game X is cool" posts, especially when they're about games that have been covered to death in the news and other sites.  At least give me a "New Game X is going to be really cool, and here's why" post.  Heck, I guess I'd even settle for a "Game X is cool," as long as it added a detailed account of why.

Proof that "New Game X is going to be really cool, and here's why" posts don't work:

http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=video_games;action=display;num=1141869482

i.e. I post what I thought was a succint introduction to a relatively unknown game series complete with a link to a really nice and long trailer for the game, hoping for some discussion on the game and what's the first response I get?  Someone accusing me of being a bot.  Admittedly, things improved from there and there was a decent discussion on cyberpunk thereafter, but still...

Seriously, it seems like forums are breeding pools for prideful "I'm smarter than you" mentalities.  Yes, the opening post for this thread was a bit weak, but there was need for the insulting and condescendingly sarcastic responses that it got.  Despite the brevity of the opening post, it was pretty obvious that he was trying to start a discussion on GTA; there's no need to insult the guy.