Author Topic: Viva la Revolution  (Read 12239 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Viva la Revolution
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 10:09:47 PM »
I don't think either company was planning cut throat tactics against Nintendo because neither of them see themselves as directly competing with Nintendo.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »
I don't know--I think that's just spin talking.  I know that's what they're claiming, but if that's true, then it seems they're saying "We're going for hardcore gamers who are obsessed with graphics and power, whereas Nintendo is going for everybody else."  That doesn't seem like a genius plan to me.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2006, 10:47:59 PM »
     Well, it would appear, at this point, that there isn't much they can do to stop something like that. Neither Sony nor Microsoft was prepared for Nintendo to release a truly revolutionary control system for their console, and it is a bit late to start now. Although Sony hasn't released their system yet, I highly doubt that they could take the time to reconfigure their system to allow for something like this, and still be competitive, even if they could get past inevitable patent issues. The 360 has already been released, which means that there is no way that they could possibly adapt to compete with the Revolution at this point. Assuming that the new control system is well-received, that leaves Nintendo in the driver's seat, and Sony and Microsoft wondering how they can do damage control. They can lower prices like Nintendo did with the Gamecube. They can rely on their graphics as their primary draw. Or, they can rely on their game designers to release games that are good enough to support their system.

On a separate note, I'm glad that Nintendo has finally done something to restore themselves to their former glory. Here's hoping they don't screw it up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:48:18 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 12:51:40 AM »
I don't know--I think that's just spin talking.  I know that's what they're claiming, but if that's true, then it seems they're saying "We're going for hardcore gamers who are obsessed with graphics and power, whereas Nintendo is going for everybody else."  That doesn't seem like a genius plan to me.

Thing is Microsoft and Sony both see themselves as doing just that, the argument because what percentage is that "everyone else".  Nintendo thinks there's a lot of people they can get with this approach while the other two see themselves as going for the majority while Nintendo is going after a "niche market".  You also have to take into account that the 360 and PS3 are touted as "media centers" and not game systems which is the approach Sony and MS are taking to expand their market and lets face it your average gamer does want the graphic level those two systems offer but not many are willing to pay the amount both cost.  The Wii has nice graphics, not sure of the exact specs but most people see it as only slightly more powerful then the Gamecube, that still look decent now but in a few years will be horribly outdated.  So I see Sony and MS saying "the Wii will be fun but in the long run you will want something that offers as much as our systems do".
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 02:23:58 AM »
And I'll probably get a PS3 or 360--in a few years, when the price has dropped.  But in the meantime, the Wii will be my "upgrade," and I can see a lot of people--especially parents--thinking the same.  Wait out the console wars between Sony and Microsoft, then buy the winner.  Wii plays DVDs, Gamecube games, Wii games, and all the others.  It's a steal.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
Got to love Joystiq

darkjetti81

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 08:27:44 PM »
I could be wrong, but as an invester I would be terrified to put any stock in this new system.  It sounds glorious and visionary, but wouldn't I have to go out and bye a big screen, flat screen, or digital projector to enjoy the new gaming style??

I think that after the first market leap, this system will have serious losses.  This may be another mistake by Nintendo, and the system could be before it's time.  The games will most likely be difficult to format and supply the demand.

I mean, How accurate is the new remote system??  will it be this thing were as long as I'm close to the target with my aim, it magically explodes??  Or will it be *very* precise and live up to the marketing allusion?

I think the first few games might be revolutionary, but this fad will be fleating.  I'm puting my money into a stable market like Microsoft and Playstation.  At least the risk is backed up with more than hope.  

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 08:34:11 PM by darkjetti81 »

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2006, 12:35:13 AM »
How much have you read about Wii?  Why would you need a large tv screen?  To aim better?  As for formatting the games, everything I've read points to game makers being able to complete games for a third of the price as games for PS3 and 360.  True, the graphics aren't going to be as stellar, but they'll have new, innovative games for less money, a system for less money, and a huge backlog of games.  All the buzz from people who've been playing the thing has been enormously positive, and that's just with the initial batch of games.  Usually it takes a while for a system to get its legs and start really churning out some quality titles.  There are launch titles for Wii that make me really want to get the system.  Not so for 360, and looking grim for PS3.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 01:18:49 PM »
I'm with Parker on this, you wouldnt need to buy a new T.V.,  unless you don't think you could aim effectively on a smaller television.

Anyway, the only one you would need to buy a new T.V. for is the PS3, since it has a graphics card that can go beyond anything that a current system can support. Which means, that in 2-3 years when the next T.V.'s come out with high er resolution, it will be able to support that.

That is the only one I could justify buying a new T.V. for.

I don't think I would though.

My wife and I are going to get a Wii when it comes out, and then maybe look into getting a PS3 when the price drops, it sounds like that is the most trendy thing to do, if you want a new system, but don't feel like going with the price tags of the other guys.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »
The Wii motion controll has very little to do with the TV and everything to do with the sensor you set ontop of the TV.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2006, 02:30:54 PM »
Apperently the Japanese don't give a flip about the Wii, according to 1up all the intrested is in the PS3 overseas.

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2006, 02:47:38 PM »
Really?  Could you cut and paste the article in here--my internet's being a bit buggy, and I'd like to read it.  Crazy Japanese.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2006, 02:54:35 PM »
Not going to paste a whole article even if it is short, sorry, but I'll post some of the stuff.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150896

top 10 things

Impressions of the PS3 controller

Final Fantasy XIII information

PS3 price and release date

Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Snake playable announcment

PS3 menu & interface

PS3 online service

PS3 game pics

Polymorphic content surrounding FFXIII

Dragon Quest Swords

Square-Enix game pics

The only Nintendo items: Smash Bos and Dragon Quest.

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »
Who did they poll, then?  What was their sample?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2006, 03:10:08 PM »
Gamers.  Seriously what's with the 3rd degree here? You need to take a chill pill or something. It was a game site over there, but it's not surprising considering that this wouldn't be the first Nintendo console to be mostly supported by non-Japanese developers and consumers.

No one in Japan bought the N64, just like there were only 4 or so Japanese game developers actually make any games for that system, everything else was US made. Plus SONY has like 80% of the gaming console market in Japan, Nintendo has a bigger market here in the states.  Why do you think the original DS was released here first and Nintendo has commented that the Wii will probably launch in the US first?  They also release most of their games here first too that are the non-Mario ones, ie Metriod and Zelda, because they're more popular in the states.