Author Topic: A Geek Girl's Guide to Video Games  (Read 8890 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: A Geek Girl's Guide to Video Games
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »
Hey, I know Bob. What a jerk.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 02:56:45 PM »
I think there was a chunk missing, actually. There was a paragraph that went "But that doesn't mean I ..." and that was it.

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 03:50:45 PM »
I will point out that video games really are good for certain neral pathways development: I actually have a standing order from a phyiologist to play at least half an hour of eye-hand co-ordnation intensive games per day.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:17:05 PM »
This is an article that sounds like my wife wrote it.

My wife loves Halo and Burnout Revenge. '

We play those quite often. Right now we are doing a campaign in Battlefront 2, and we do DDR 1-2 times a week for an hour to get some light exercise when we don't want to go out.

She loves to watch me play RPG's, she almost cried at the end of FFX, (don't repeat I said that). Otherwise she hates to watch me play alone.

And nothinga  guy loves more than a gal who plays games!! Total turn on to a gamer type you know.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:00:52 PM »
yet again, something I can relate to... Actually the "let me do that" syndrome led in part to my last breakup...
In which I lost my ps2 which I had bought as a gift to us both... I miss that thing... I cant afford another one...
Gaming withdrawal... I had JUST realized that there were actually plots... that were fun!
my ps1 is outdated and dying... when is ps3 coming out so I can get ps2 cheap?!
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:30:46 PM »
I'd recommend looking for a used one, like on Craig's List (www.craigslist.org). They are usually pretty cheap.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 11:32:58 PM »
Janci, you so totally rock.

Is it ok to admit that it was my 7-year-old that beat you at Mario Kart? (Actually, the 6-year-old repeatedly beats the 7-year-old now, and he's kinda lost interest in Mario Kart for now.)

Of course, with Kingdom Hearts II in the house, the Game Cube games have gone on the back burner for a while.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:33:24 PM by Old_One »

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »
When Warcraft first came out (waayyyy long ago, like when I was first married) I actually did the entire original campaign. I haven't gamed since, mostly because I have three children who won't leave me alone for 5 minutes together. Occasionally I'll watch my husband play, but I'm not interested anymore. I guess I just don't have the hand/eye coordination or the time.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 03:22:23 AM »
Recently, I’ve been learning to play Halo with some of said unaffected people.

And it's a blast.

We were in multiplayer, and I ran over my friend with a car. Then she chased me with it. And then we managed to lose the car entirely. I hear we were supposed to be off shooting some enemies or something, but I'm still not entirely sure.

One of the funnest things to do in Halo is to set the map up with warthogs (Headlong works best because of the sheer volume of vehicles) and have a massive demolition derby. Whats really fun is when you can co-ordinate it to have three or four people go off a jump and collide in mid-air, and try to have another person hit them all with a rocket at the same time. Biggest explosion ever.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 03:23:10 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 06:00:07 PM »
Wow, Im thinking I really need to play Halo... explosions, sweet!
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Yancetastic

• Level 1
  • I'm the best there is at what I do.
    • View Profile
    • Cogneato.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »
As long as you play the RIGHT video games there is a obvious increase in response time. I remeber when I was in first grade, I was having trouble with multiplication exercises (you would have like a min to do like 15 problems), I couldn't finish fast enough (I would complete like 8) but I wasn't the only one most the class couldn't get past half. Then my pops picked up a NES and Tetris, well the next time we had the exercise I finished in record time. Stimulation is good as long as its not ALL blood and hookers (I'm talking about video games people geez) whatever gets your brain thinking and the blood pumping to your head. But I'll tell you what give me D&D or any other RPG any day of the week, because I would SO much rather have some Story with my plotting and stimulation.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:39:17 AM by Yancetastic »
IM me whenever, I'm on M-F 10-5 ALWAYS, I'm "WORKING" ;-)

Boris_Flinn

• Level 2
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:04:27 PM »
I haven't laughed so hard and came out smarter for it for a long time but reading that ...... took my breath away.Thank you for makeing me laugh and think and not question life.  :o
To Live Is To Die.

I will have your respect I am a 9th level Ranger/knight!

medrx

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 05:39:23 AM »
Okay, so I've never really been able to get into Halo, I just don't seem to have the patience for it, but I too almost cried at the end of FFX and I am woman (hear me roar).  I actually did cry in FF VII when what's her name dies....Sorry it's 2:30 am and not thinking properly.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 08:52:27 AM »
It sounds more like "I am woman, hear me weep.