Author Topic: E3 gone  (Read 1286 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
E3 gone
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:15:41 PM »
Yep, it looks like E3 as we know it is gone for good.  Publishers are sick and tired of spending money and resources on something they don't think is worth the little press they end up getting.

http://news.com.com/Makeover+for+massive+E3+game+event/2100-1043_3-6100232.html?tag=nefd.top

One reason behind the downsizing of the show can be attributed to the dollar cost of the event to exhibitors, including the demands on companies to assign large numbers of staff to focus on the show, expenses associated with travel to the show, and the added expense to polish game builds and demos to be shown to attendees.

and what are we to expect now from the new E3?

Sources said that rather than fill the 540,000 square feet of the cavernous LACC, the show will take place at a location that would support exhibitors in meeting room space only, with companies showing their wares to a select group of attendees numbering in the hundreds rather than thousands.

While I understand why the gaming industry is taking this view it's sad that it's going away in that ever since E3 started it's been something I've always looked forward too.

Joystiq has a list of "the good and bad about this", I'm not going to quote any since it's rather long.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:19:09 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

chunktile

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: E3 gone
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
Well, we might still get decent coverage, but I highly doubt it.
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 03:32:22 PM »
We'll probably get better coverage but it won't be at one single, anticipated event.

You have to realise that E3 was hectic and a lot of things never get covered due to the shear size.  Now with smaller shows smaller publisers can get some press and things will be more focused.

I should also add that what it's going to become are still just rumors, for all we know they could just set a limit on how flashy booths can be and bring down the tone to something like CES.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:55:13 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »
So here it is:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/31/e3-killed-reborn-as-new-e3expo/

The new E3Expo will take shape over the next several months. As currently envisioned, it will still take place in Los Angeles, described by ESA as a "great and supportive partner helping to build E3." It will focus on press events and small meetings with media, retail, development, and other key sectors. While there will be opportunities for game demonstrations, E3Expo 2007 will not feature the large trade show environment of previous years.

And here's opposable Thumbs views on why this is a good thing:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/7/31/4819

While I had a blast at this year's E3, it's not hard for me to see why they would scale it way down. The show offered no surprises, and in places like the Nintendo booth, everyone was waiting for hours to take the same picture. When I saw a picture of the Wii controller in one of my stories and I couldn't remember if I had taken it or if I had gotten it e-mailed to me, I knew there was too much coverage of the same things.

Even getting into E3 was no longer enough. Attendees had to get the good press passes that allowed them to get in early, and then the VIP passes for each booth that let you see the game itself instead of the rolling demo outside. Of course, then you had to wrangle an appointment to see the good stuff behind closed doors. E3 has already become a lot of small shows—the show floor was almost a formality for many companies.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:24:07 PM by Spriggan »