Author Topic: Frence Makeing sence.....What?!?!  (Read 9221 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Frence Makeing sence.....What?!?!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2003, 04:58:40 PM »
I still hold that Linus is Britain.  He is more culturally refined, but he still believed everything Lucy said.  Shortly after the attacks in Afghanistan, Blair was referred to by the international press as Bush's lapdog.

Who is Schroeder?  Who is America's unrequited love interest?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2003, 05:34:57 PM »
Arab Oil, or possibly Japanese technology.

I think Mexico is Charlie Brown, because we always pretend that we're their friends, and then we yank away the football of friendship and economic support just as they're about to kick it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2003, 05:42:43 PM »
"Life is like a bowl of Peanuts."  I always thought it was "Life is like a bowl of cherries."
Boogie woogie woogie!!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2003, 02:37:25 PM »
So back to the original topic: France (or, as Spriggan says, Frence).

This morning on MSNBC they had one of their military analysts on shooting his mouth off about somethig or other, but they made an interesting point about France and Germany.  They said that both of those countries have been known to sell things to Iraq in the last decade.  It was the opinion of this guy (and I have no idea how credible he is) that Germany and France don't want to go to war because the world will find out how involved they really are.

So, who knows.  It's interesting though.

www.robisonwells.com

Saint Ehlers

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2003, 04:42:54 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised, but let's add to the rumor mill. Germany has a secret alliance with Iraq, that only France knows about. If we go to war with Iraq (or if France tells anyone about the alliance), than North Korea, Germany, and Iran will all declare war on the US and invade France.  ;D

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2003, 04:51:29 PM »
I say more power to 'em.

www.robisonwells.com

Entropy in Exile

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2003, 05:05:01 PM »
now hold on a minute mustard.
I still hold that Linus is Britain.  He is more culturally refined, but he still believed everything Lucy said.

*snicker*
since when does britain believe everything america says? you realise that british opinion polls show 70% against war in iraq? your damn lucky blair likes you : his own party is howling for him to give you the middle finger and join the french position.

Does that make Britain the Linus of the world (since it kind of follows the US around and nods its head when we tell them that fir trees give us fur for coats and that the ants job is to make the grass grow)?  And is the security blanket that Britain clings to is its one time status as the main world power?

...?
precisely where did you pull that bit about fir trees and ants from? do tell. you sound like your in need of psychiatric help there mate.
and our one time position as superpower is either two things in britain : for lefties its a horrifying concept, one treated with eternal shame. for righties its a was a glorious age, one we should restart with a punitive invasion of france. actually, that last part is just me.
a lot of people wish we could go back to the days when we would deal with mugabe slagging us by sending teh navy over to bomard any and all shore towns. wasnt terribly nice, but it was damn good fun  ;D

actually, its funny you should mention teh british empire, since its america that did the most to destroy it.

As for us following you around, im sure that during the 50s and 60's we did anything but. first your presidents did their damnedest to get us to lose the empire, then you delivered a national humiliation during teh suez canal crisis. not terribly surprising that when vietnam started we turned around and said we didnt want to get involved.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2003, 05:10:47 PM »
Most of Mustard's comments were Peanuts jokes, which, as we are increasingly aware, don't make any sense whatsoever to British people who never read Peanuts.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Saint Ehlers

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2003, 05:58:37 PM »
ditto what Fell said, but look here, limey boy. We hardly need British assistance to embarrass ourselves.  ESPECIALLY over how we handled Vietnam.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2003, 01:44:53 PM »
So, did anyone else watch Powell's speech to the UN?  There was some pretty incriminating stuff.  Anyone have any thoughts?

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2003, 03:08:05 PM »
I didn't. Being a working stiff, I have to go to work. But I'm assuming it's posted on CNN or somewhere, and I'll be going to check that out now.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2003, 05:42:49 PM »
Well, now that I've read that, I certainly will be reconsidering my anti-war stance. I was thinking that if there was so much evidence, why didn't Bush produce it before? I am going to assume that their "sources" are being divulged to world leaders, especailly the evidence Powell didn't describe in detail.

I still think Iraq will be scarier when fighting on their own ground than as a general threat. However, I'm softened on the idea of going to war Iraq. I still think Bush is a doofus, but I may change my mind about this policy. Now, if he could just do something about our crappy economy.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2003, 08:12:43 PM »
I agree about changing my position.  My main complaint was that, even though everybody knows that Saddam ought to get ousted, I didn't know why it had to be so soon.  The evidence presented changes all that, in my mind at least.

Can I say one thing that may tick a few people off (or at least something that not many will believe)?
Ehler's said:
Now, if he could just do something about our crappy economy.

Unfortunately, the President can't really do much about that, in the immediate future at least.  The economy is this odd ethereal thing that can't be pushed around very easily, and the government certainly has no magic button that will fix it.  The economic policies that Bush has presented, and is beginning to implement, will take at least a year, if not many years to change anything.

The problem is not with the government, but with the population in general.  After the plunging stock market, there is no consumer confidence.  Businesses are closing, laying-off, etc., and the economy spirals downward.  How is the president going to convince everyone to begin reinvesting?  For every hundred people complaining about the bad economy there probably aren't more than six or seven that are actually doing something about it (hiring more employees, investing, etc.)

Yes, the president has influence on the economy, but it is not something that he can change quickly.  Without trying to make partisan comments, most of the problems that we're experiencing are either due to 9/11 or the latter years of Clinton's presidency.  Bush's real influence will show up a few years down the road.

Oddly enough, there probably isn't much that he could do better for the economy than to kick Iraq's trash.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2003, 08:15:14 PM »
By the way, I would still much rather discuss Powell and Iraq and all that, rather than the economy.  If anyone wants to argue with my claims, go right ahead, but there were few classes that I hated more than political economics, and I won't be arguing back.  I would rather pound a nail into my skull than have a lengthy economic discussion.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2003, 08:55:03 PM »
All in favor of pounding a nail into Mustard's skull while discussing obtuse economic theories, say aye.