Author Topic: Britain and the EU  (Read 1548 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Britain and the EU
« on: February 22, 2003, 07:20:13 AM »
I’ve been thinking about the EU a lot lately. Most people in Britain have, to one degree or another. I had an interesting thought. It is generally thought here that when Tony Blair gives up his fanciful notions of being a EU president, and when Brussels finalises its daft constitution (which features the biggest power grab in history) then Britain will retreat to a position of being a economic partner (ie gaining all the possible benefits of the EU) but will not have any of the monetary or political baggage (ie all the disadvantages). This could have some interesting effects. Since the EU will, when the 10 member countries join, have 470 million people in it then a lot of companies are gonna want to get in on the action – that’s a hellava big market – and they are going to want to build factories offices etc in a lace that is cheapest, right? Well, since Britain does not have any of the continental leftist anti business laws, none of the unemployment the bureaucrats over there adore so much, and taxes that are so small in comparison as to be negligible, but will have the benefits of EU economic partnership (no tariffs allowed etc) then we will be the obvious choice. The UK already has masses of Japanese and US investment (most leftover from when their economies allowed investment) and all this, plus the fact that “plucky blighty” is being best mates with America while the frogs are up to their old tricks means that Britain could soon be rolling in foreign investment, allowing us to make a very neat benefit, partly at the expense of the French. I like that last part.

The route to victory for the UK :
1) do what the Norwegians do – economic partnership, not political slavery
2) Restart the empire. Iraq isn’t about oil – its about imperialism obviously
3) Invade France and put every lefty politician and bureaucrat found within Paris to the sword.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Britain and the EU
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 10:02:10 AM »
Heheh, I like that.

Thought "allowed for investment" is what I'll take issue with. The economy is falling because people won't invest. It's not the other way around. Otoh, it's really not that bad an economy. In '96 we made a big deal about how things were bleak. You don't remember that do you? Because in '96 the US was at the height of economic rise. Ok, so our unemployment is a bit higher, etc, etc. But it's not *that* bad. Not yet anyway.