Author Topic: What the freak!    (Read 2538 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
What the freak!  
« on: March 18, 2003, 04:01:42 PM »
OK this is nuts the UN human rights council is going to start an investagation into the USA for human rights violations.  and guess who's leading it?  Lybia!  this just shows how much a joke the UN is.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: What the freak!  
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 05:20:21 PM »
The ICC said a month back that, in the event of war, it would investigate Tony Blair for war crimes. Amazing. I always thought the idea was you investigated crimes when they have been reported, not that you investigate on the off chance one occured.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 12:07:22 PM »
technically George W Bush could be tried for war crimes if this war goes ahead because he went against the UN.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 01:08:26 PM »
actually, I doubt if they legally COULD convict Bush of anything. He didn't directly contravene any UN resolution or bylaw I'm familiar with. He simply isn't waiting for the UN to back him up.

I dunno, is it a "war crime" to wage war? To wage war when you legally haven't specifically declared war? I'm a little fuzzy on UN policies, but I don't believe it is.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 02:05:32 PM »
No.  It's not, and being convicted of a 'war crime' requires more than waging war.  War crimes are things like breaking the rules regarding POWs, civilians, etc...
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 05:19:52 PM »
Say for some realy odd reason that war crimes are committed.  The US isn't a member of the international court (that one that went up last year) so unless the us people willing give up the offenders to the UN or the UN comes and gets them they wouldn't be tried by the UN.  I was watching the news and someone said that there is no international law only agreements.  But anyway if something did happen I'm sure they would be tried here under US law.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 08:40:10 PM »
As the months go by, the UN looks more and more akin to the Galactic Senate circa Episode 2...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 09:12:36 PM »
As the months go by, the UN looks more and more akin to the Galactic Senate circa Episode 2...

BWAHAHAHAHA! Can we start making fun of International leaders by identifying which person is Jar-Jar now?

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 11:36:59 PM »
I don't think there's even a question as to whom Jar-Jar is.

;D

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 12:41:10 AM »
Mr. P, that was COLD!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 03:52:16 AM »
Maybe so, Slant, maybe so, but I'm allowed to have my biases (one of the things that makes this country great).  

It's become painfully obvious that the U.N. doesn't have the teeth to enforce its own decrees.

Which makes me wonder just what changes we will see post-war.  

If we follow history we and our allies would pull out of the UN and then form our own international policy making deliberative...which the U.S would then pull out of because its a bit too constraining for our political outlook.   ;)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2003, 04:05:53 AM »
Lol.

The US will never fit into international organizations because of a simple mindset, which was summed up quite nicely last year by Condy Rice  "Great powers do not just mind their own business."

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if we see a resurgence of NATO's importance in the world.  They're  a much more blood-and-guts type of NGO.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com