Author Topic: Settlers  (Read 5910 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Settlers
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2003, 03:19:12 PM »
If you love settlers, then sure.  If you're ambivalent about the game but have it because everyone and their mother secretly play it (at school I ran into scads of people who play settlers, but wouldn't confess it in ordinary conversation for some reason) then invest your dinero in something you're more passionate about.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2003, 03:25:09 PM »
I'd probably describe myself as "interested" at the most. I'm keen on owning it because it's one of the few games that my wife likes enough to actually suggest playing with guests. So perhaps I'll spend my money on Fictionary or Fluxx instead

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2003, 07:30:06 PM »
I love nano-fictionary, unfortunately I can never get people to play it with me.

People who like to tell stories, love it. People who get uncomfortable on stage don't care for it. At least that's my assessment.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2003, 10:51:32 PM »
It appears to be very much a party type game. So maybe I could get people into it. If nothing else, it looks really fun for even a few, rare games.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2003, 01:48:42 AM »
That one sounds cool. I might have to borrow it sometime, 42. (Largely for the same reasons Saint already mentioned: I'm always looking for games my wife will play with me.)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2003, 01:53:16 AM »
I actually don't have Nano-fictionary, though I wish I did. I played it with one of my older brothers who happens to own and who also happens to live in Maryland.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2003, 02:55:04 AM »
I've never heard of Nano-fictionary.  Anyone want to explain that one to me?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2003, 08:02:18 AM »
42, is he looking for a role playing group?

kije, it's a card game. each card has an element: like a character, a complication, a setting, etc. Each player draws a card, and when all are satisfied, you draw another, etc. When you're done you tell a complete story using all your cards. Everyone judges the story. Obviously it's very subjective. But it's social, it's semi-artistic, and it's fun.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2003, 06:05:50 PM »
I don't think my brother is looking for a gaming group. He usually so busy designing missles for the navy or hanging out with his current girlfriend, depending on the week.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2003, 06:12:05 PM »
Muchas gracias.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Do you think a place like WotC would carry it?  

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2003, 11:41:35 PM »
feh. if he thinks girls or designing cool destructive explosives is more fun than me...

er... I guess he'd probably be right....

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2003, 01:19:15 PM »
WotC stores are ejecting most of their non-WotC stuff, but I since I don't know who actually makes the game, they may or may not have it. If you're coming to Utah, though, we don't have a WotC store anyway.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2003, 10:15:05 PM »
I'm not coming to UT until August.  As it stands, I'm within 20 min. of 2 WotC stores, and probably a half-hour from their headquarters.  

Is this a recent move by Wizards?  'Cause I've seen all kinds of stuff in the stores, from all kinds of companies.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2003, 11:33:38 PM »
they are. They've been drastically marking down anything not WotC and not accepting returns. It's taken them an AWFULLY long time to do it, been going on for a few months, but that's meant it's been a great place to get GHS stuff. It's a great place to check for something first to get cheap stuff.