Author Topic: Cessation of discussion  (Read 17685 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Cessation of discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 01:01:25 AM »
Should be pretty cheap seeing that no one lives there.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 12:54:30 PM »
One can only hope.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »
I saw a fight brewing, and wanted to stop it before it started.

I mod another forum and that is just a foreign concept to me
People fight
People CAN have fights w/o it turning into uninteligable flame wars

HOWEVER
Here, I feel reluctant to post a contrasting opinion because I might get modded.  
I have seen threads locked JUST as they grew intrestig.  I have OFTEN wanted to put my 2 cents in only to find the thread locked...
I have seen people take offense at commentsa I would never have thought twice about.  
Maybe I am from a rougher internet neighborhood, But I did think some of the mod-choices here were excessive
Alles!!!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 05:35:39 PM »
It's a sad fact here on the boards that disagreements turn very quickly into flame wars. Until we can calm down as posters, I think Jam was modding well to head it off in that manner.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 07:05:09 PM »
gotta agree with Osleon, yeah we fight, but our flame wars are actually really tame compared to 95% of the BBS's Ive been on. Kenzerco's Hackmaster board was downright hostile and frightening. It makes more sense to stop the fight after it happens instead of assuming it will happen. I think a lot of the drop of in discussion stems from rabid modding as of late. It certainly makes me want to visit less. That could be because I have strong opinions I want voiced, but I dont think it is.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 07:21:46 PM »
I think "rabid modding" is a gross exageration.  Maybe I've missed something, though -- name the threads that have been locked or threatened with locking.  Unless it's only on the threads I never read, it's really, really uncommon.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2005, 08:08:04 PM »
compared to a how it used to be one thread locked is rabid. But there have been a few locked in the last 3 months... the one that leaps out at me is the cookie monster thread there were however more.

Cookie Rehab?
Urge to Kill rising!
I remember others but cant seem to find them right now.

the other stuff I cant show you because it has been edited posts and the like. Mainly Im just getting tired of the threats. Threats mainly levelled at noobs for no reason.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 08:17:50 PM by ElJeffe »

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2005, 08:55:23 PM »
Yeah, ok, I suck as mod and officially step down.

Happy now?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2005, 09:06:53 PM »
I, for one, would not be. Jam,  I don't think that people are knocking you directly. You did what was expected of you, and you did it well, in my opinion. What I think people are saying is that we should start expecting something else in a mod. I don't know if you like that any better, but that is my impression.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005, 10:25:52 PM »
exactly, your a good mod, as the rules exist now... but we need a little change.

If you were a bad mod you would have locked this thread.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:27:00 PM by ElJeffe »

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 10:59:53 PM »
First off...

Isn't there a way to make sub-threads; I mean, have a thread that is under another thread, like a thread in a folder as we have it now?  Can't we just make it so all of the 'pure' threads have a little button below the posing window that says 'creat sub-thread' and automatically quotes the post that the person is replying to?  That would solve the pure threads problem--nobody would have to make a new thread, they wouldn't get to numerous or hard to find because they would only be choosable once the master thread was highlighted.  I've seen such on other forums, can't we encorperate that into the new TWG?

I, too, have found myself visiting way less these days, since nothing interesting ever comes up anymore.  Most of the stuff that remains unlocked remains mindless dribble or small talk because anything that becomes a debate or an argument is immediately locked, modded, threatened or otherwise massacred.

Flame wars at TWG rarely, if ever, succumb to personal attacks, and when they do, the attacks are coupled with opinions, so it isn't even half as bad as at most forums.  I think that until a debate or argument turns into personal attacks, it should remain unlocked.  If there is a 'flame war to be,' it should be left up UNTIL it becomes a flame war--opinions, especially conflicting opinions, are getting so rare here at TWG it makes the site much less appealing.  I always have TWG open, I'm here all the time, but because nothing ever interests me I hardly even browse anymore.

And the Noob treatment now is not too harsh, I think.  I came in pretty rough, and I didn't resurrect old threads, I just turked a few people off with my opinion(s), which DID turn into a flame war (one which was not locked or edited, which goes to show how much more censored TWG is today compared to a year or so ago).  And now I'm, or I would like to think I am, a productive member of the board--at least I'm not detrimental.  If nobody has to deal with some stressors when they join the board, they'll never loose those Noob habits--I think that where the bar is now is about as 'nice' as we should get--give them a few warnings, but don't make it excessive, lay them in line if they're out of it.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2005, 11:03:33 PM »
/me brandishes noob stick

I'll learn you good noob!!!!

(does that bring back memories) :D

I didnt mean to say we were worse as far as treatment went, just that we have a way to come. But yeah it seems like discussion has dried up in favor of safer pastures.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 11:11:04 PM »
Which is a shame. Because the interesting conversation is what lured me to TWG in the first place. That and the fact that there were other people who liked Fantasy as much as I did.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 11:11:18 PM »
I don't care if 95% of the other sites are worse then us or "tougher", just becasue another site dosen't see any problems with it dosen't make it right.  The Cookie thread that Jeffe mentioned was getting really personal and some people were personaly trying to attack others.  Personal attacks are NEVER acceptible here and all most all the threads that get locked is becasue of this.  I don't care if it, or another thread, was just "Getting Intersting" to some people such personal things, or purposly posting things to make others mad, is not what frends do.  In the early days of TWG there would be lots of discussions that would go on for pages without someone trowing a flame and, if by chance, one did start up the other forum posters stepped in and calmed things down.  Problem is now a days it's allwayse the same people causeing threads to be locked, if you ever go back and read them you'll see the same 2-3 people that were being rude and abrasive, the fact that this has been going on for quite some time shows that these people do not care or have not realised that they're the problem (which seams kind of hard since they allwayse get chastised for causeing said problems).

JP rarely locks threads and only when things start getting personal, if you don't want threads to get locked anymore then tread people how you'd like to be treated.  And if you like to get yelled at by others, called names and be disrespected then don't post here anymore, that's all there is to it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:11:50 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 11:29:35 PM »
 I don't care if it, or another thread, was just "Getting Intersting" to some people such personal things, or purposly posting things to make others mad, is not what frends do.

Exactly. But I hope that you don't think that we thought threads were interesting because of personal attacks. I, for one, think that they were more interesting because people had strong opinions and the debate was somewhat competitive. This is a far stretch from making personal attacks, and I agree that crossing over that line is not something a friend should do, and is ridiculous.
and, if by chance, one did start up the other forum posters stepped in and calmed things down.

Another good point, people should stop relying on mods to step in to resolve conflict. First of all, people should check themselves carefully, but also, if you want lively conversation to continue, then resolve conflicts when you can, to keep people from crossing the line.