Author Topic: Recipies that succeed  (Read 2808 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Recipies that succeed
« on: November 09, 2003, 07:25:39 PM »
Sometimes I get a hankering to try to cook something exotic, today I tried my hand at Pho Soup and succeeded with flying colors.
The only thing Im mad at myself for is not getting the soup to clear.... but otherwise it maggnificent full of fish sauce goodness, spicy and sweet notes and of course loaded with shaved beef.  MMMMMM

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Recipies that succeed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 01:12:54 AM »
Okay, I had a cooking success tonight. I don't really cook, but I've been wanting to try cooking to cement my independant status.

So tonight I successfully made a chocolate souffle. I was very fluffy and sweet and good, but next time I make one of these things I'm not whipping the eggs whites by hand.

Now, I just need to learn to make a really good sauce to go with the souffle.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 01:36:55 AM »
42, I'm impressed! I've been cooking desserts since I was a kid and never attempted a souffle. My big thing lately has been pumpkin pie. Really easy, and generally enjoyed by a variety of people (for instance, at a dessert night). My roommate made apple crisp made from apples she picked at a local orchard the other day... mmmm! That combination of butter, flour, and sugar--what variety and yummyness.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 02:41:05 AM »
Yes, I too am impressed by your souflee abilities. I just haven't been brave enough to actually try something out of the cookbook more difficult than say, pancakes.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 09:59:05 AM »
Souffles are much maligned by people who expect them to explode, fall or just come out badly thanks to TV shows of the 1960's and 70's. Not to say they arnt challenging (congrats 42) but they arnt horribly difficult.

have you ever had Shoofly pie... omg its a slice of brown sugary heaven!!!!!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 11:42:20 AM »
I've heard that it is, but I guess I will have to wait for a visit to the South to try some good southern cooking. On the otherhand, my brother spent two years in South Carolina, maybe he knows something about good grits.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 12:02:38 PM »
Actually shoofly pie is yankee fare, or at least Amish fare... but umm its good....
Now sweet potato pie thats southern!!
And Grits are good. MMMM Grits.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 12:05:25 PM »
with salt and butter.

NOT with cinamon and sugar

also, gimme some good ol' biscuits and gravy or chicken and dumplins.

yeah.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 12:22:31 PM »
Well I made an apple pie and a pumkin pie for our stairwell activity last night. I did not have enough time to bake and refrigerate everything by the time people got there. Stupid me, I didn't finish reading the pumking pie receipe beforehand so that I could know that a pumkin pie needs to sit in the refrigerator for at least a day. . . . The pumkin pie is still chilling, so I'm not sure if this was a successful receipe or not.

The apple pie came out okay. I put in extra water, forgetting that I usually make pies with Granny Smith apples (which need more water) and I was making it with Golden Delicious (which don't). So the pie was runny, but good.

However, not even the apple pie was done baking by the time everyone arrived. Thank heavens for Marie Calendar's Chocolate Mousse pie. And also, it's a good thing that I tried this on people besides my inlaws. . . .

I wasn't very thrilled with the crust receipe that I used. Anyone have a pie crust receipe they like?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 03:52:30 PM »
mine involve a can of crisco, you can thank a strong southern tradition and a grandmother who taught me how to bake, so I don't think its what your going to want.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 05:39:55 PM »
How so? I thought all crust receipes called for shortening? Or are you talking about 3 lbs of shortening?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 05:42:23 PM »
just about 3 pounds :) , also there is no measuring involved, you just do it all by feel... which is hard to communicate to someone you dont have right there.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 08:30:50 PM »
Ack! No, I wouldn't like that receipe (though it's probably delicious) as I like to have a set amount of ingredients that I can measure and combine. My mom, however would love that receipe. She thinks that accurate measuring takes too much time.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 11:15:17 PM »
The big thing about pies is letting them rest. Its so hard to leave em alone too.
My favorite recipie is my Grandmothers famous double hershy cake.... its sooooooo rich and  chocolatey.mmmmmmm thats one that will never leave the family though.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 01:26:53 AM »
I never can seem to get crust to turn out as well as my old friend Krissy could. I've found, though, that especially when I don't want to spend the time on pie crust, that the Pillsbury pie crust that you can buy refrigerated, usually right next to the crescent rolls and cookie dough in the refrigerated aisle, works well and tastes like homemade. Not quite the same, but still really good. Much better than my own feeble attempts.

And pumpkin pie is one of my favorites. It doesn't really have to chill for a day, but it should have been out of the oven for an hour or two before eating. Cooled, and the cooler the better.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing