Author Topic: Style Guide  (Read 13004 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Style Guide
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 02:59:42 AM »
Personally I greatly prefer internet to Internet. There's only one of them as far as I know. Even Wired News had a news article recently about how it was going to stop capitalizing it.

They still do e-mail though. Bugs me.

Not a big fan of Web either.

But anyway I've never written anything for TWG.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 08:48:48 AM »
Most publications I've worked for considered Internet a proper noun. I don't agree, but that's standard usage--or it was. Someone check the new version of Chicago! I only have up to 14 e.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 08:49:20 AM »
well, if it bugs people, let's go with what people like. I'm just trying to establish that we need to be consistent. Let's be consistent in a way people like.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 09:02:25 AM »
Since this is a place to get a discussion going while I was formatting JP's article it occured to me that we should have things preset in the style guide, I'm talking about the CSS/HTML one, that would have preset "box" types for easy placement of boxout text and pictures.  If we do that we could start haveing more formatted articles.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 09:09:45 AM »
well, then make it so, as far as I'm concerned. But I dont' think our style guide itself can tell them how to code it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 09:13:17 AM »
Na, it's just that they're both style guides that's why I posted it here.  I'll whip up an example page to show you (and that we can leave up moderatior refrence) the differnt types we can do.

I've allready got my hands on a copy of TWG's normal style guide so I can just add the new code and get Tage or Fell to upload it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 09:26:03 AM »
I'm being lazy and not wanting to look this up, do you have a set size for the blog pics SE?  I plan on haveing several picture ones for better blog layout.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 09:41:41 AM »
the pictures linked to are whatever size they are whenever I cut all the stuff in the picture you don't need.
The thumbnails are those same cropped pictures set to a height of 200px. The width is variable, size I keep the aspect ratio in tact.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 09:43:14 AM »
so they're allwayse 200px high then?  K, that makes my job easier.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 09:48:28 AM »
always. Yes.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 02:53:22 AM »
Since I love to read Chicago (snert) I looked it up.
I can't find where Chicago 15 ever explicitly states it, but in every instance in the manual, the word is capitalized.

See 6.17, 6.110, and 6.119.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 08:54:11 AM »
that's why I capitalized it. I've not seen it used in a reference other than capitalized.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 01:46:26 AM »
luckily in most of the books I work on, there's no difference between the lowercase and uppercase letters. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2005, 10:34:23 AM »
resurrecting this for an FYI:

I have made it policy to italicize movie titles, like books, rather than put them in quotes. For conformity's sake, I would like to stick with that, so it'd be helpful if people submitting anything that refers to a movie use the <I></I> tags rather than quote marks. I'm not sure what I'd do about shorts. It seems to me if full-length films are italicized like books, then perhaps short features, like cartoons, might be in quotes. For example, the Superman cartoon SERIES would be italicized, but the episode "The Metal Monster" gets quotes. I'm not sure how that applies to non-series cartoons like the Pixar shorts. I'm seeking opinions from anyone who has an opinion on it, but esp from those who do a lot of editing (like Stacer).

BTW, I still plan on writing up a style guide, I just have too much on my plate right now. This thread is for determining what our standard styles would be, so if you notice something that needs it, post it here.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 11:28:45 AM »
I agree. Short films in quotes, feature length in italics. Same goes for books vs. short stories.

Also, we need a consistent style on stressed words. Some people use all caps and some use italics. I can see the need to use all caps to stress something even more than italics might, but in general, I think italics works for most stresses.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing