Author Topic: Ultimate Fanboy Story  (Read 3377 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Ultimate Fanboy Story
« on: April 05, 2004, 05:33:24 PM »
So, I was thinking about the Arthur thread, and pondering how that legend has kind of spawned its own varied mythology--kind of an internal 'mythos' of its own.  

Then I was thinking about Hellboy, and the Lovecraftian themes, and how the Lovecraft mythos was kind of the other major self-sustaining fictional mythological world....

And, you guessed it.  I figured "Hey, wouldn't that be the most awesome fantasy fanboy story of all time?  I would call it:"

ARTHUR VS CTHULHU!

I can almost see it now....

(Feel free to respond to this, or come up with your own fanboy crossovers.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Fanboy Story
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 05:38:05 PM »
Well not really as fanboy as all that
Starship troopers (the novel) done as a miniseries like Band of Brothers with all the detail and washed out color.

but I suppose Batman vs Santa Claus cause it'd be fun!  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 05:38:24 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 05:41:54 PM »
Dare I mention Buck Rodgers and Flash Gordon!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 06:14:30 PM »
Oh man... anyone else remember that PvP strip where they filmed the batman vs star wars vs aliens thing - darth vadar, a squad of stormtroopers, and
brent 'batman' spinner being face hugged. Classic.

But, there is a 'Dark ages cthulhu' out i think. It'd be like that, only even funnier - the PCs would be forced to hunt things that send them insane :D
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 06:37:18 PM »
You can't really have anything VERSUS Cthulu. I mean, not successfully. It's not really even tragic.

Of course, you could have Star Trek and X-Men. Oh wait, that WAS done. By Marvel nonetheless. Ugh...

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 07:30:01 PM »
Arthur fighting Cthulhu would be what would make it so great!  He'd, like, find out that Cthulhu stole the Holy Grail, and would gather his knights via a FFVII summoning spell, set Excallibur to "Toast Demons" and take the light of Christianity to the Great Old Ones--via a few swift kicks to the face(s).

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 07:31:06 PM »
Of course, you could have Star Trek and X-Men. Oh wait, that WAS done. By Marvel nonetheless. Ugh...

Hey, i read that. God that book was trashy. I read the sequel to the first crossover one. Uguu~

You can't really have anything VERSUS Cthulu. I mean, not successfully. It's not really even tragic.  

It is, however, very funny.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 07:53:48 PM »
Arthur fighting Cthulhu would be what would make it so great!  He'd, like, find out that Cthulhu stole the Holy Grail, and would gather his knights via a FFVII summoning spell, set Excallibur to "Toast Demons" and take the light of Christianity to the Great Old Ones--via a few swift kicks to the face(s).

I think, by the code of chivalry I'm sworn to, I'm obligated to give you a swift death, God-hating saracen though you are.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 11:28:06 PM »

We're talking about Cthulhu, not Azathoth or Yog Sothoth.  He's not exactly undefeatable.

The coolest crossover IMO would be Alucard from Castlevania: SOTN and Vampire Hunter D running into each other and getting into a slug-fest, then half-way through figuring out they are brothers.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 11:21:08 AM »

We're talking about Cthulhu, not Azathoth or Yog Sothoth.  He's not exactly undefeatable.

Uh, yes he is. They drove a SHIP into him and he survived. And its kinda the whole point of the mythos, there is nothing can be done to something like Cthulhu.

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 12:51:12 PM »
I think what EP was saying is that Cthulhu, as one of the 'lesser' great old ones, is at least comprehensible in some small way.  The other two are forces like 'Chaos' and 'Creation.'  They're pretty much indestructible--if you destroyed them, you'd destroy reality.  Cthulhu is tough and all that, but he isn't intrinsically tied to the fabric of the universe.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 12:58:35 PM »
In that case, I want to see Cthulhu battle the Eternals from Sandman.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 10:15:53 PM »
What EUOL said.  Obviously he is hard to kill, he's a GOD.  But even gods can be defeated... some probably can't be killed or destroyed, but certainly they could be defeated.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 10:18:22 PM »
Heh, I'm going to bring up the bane of fantasy stories now:
Gods can be defeated, just looked at David Eddings.  Any of his series, they are all identical.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 10:34:54 PM »
pfft.
You people obviously haven't read your lovecraft.

Cthulu is not comparable to your fantasy story gods. "god" isn't even the proper term for him. The whole POINT of the cthulu mythos is that there is NO hope for humanity to triumph against any of the named forces.

To nerd this up further, look at GURPs cthulupunk. you can nuke the crap out of Cthulu, he still just reforms and comes at you. You expend the entire earth's arsenel of nuclear weapons against him, and he just keeps coming. And don't look for supernatural aid either. All of it is firmly in the cthulu mythos camp. so using it just subjects you further to their influence. Even if you did find some independent, it would be far weaker than his. It is hardly a defeat from mortals that put him into his slumber.