Author Topic: Bandwidth  (Read 1815 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Bandwidth
« on: April 12, 2004, 03:06:40 PM »
So, I've been looking at web hosting services. Pricing them, seeing what's available, etc. A lot of the sites I've looked at have listed 40GB of bandwidth. Now this seems more than I would ever need in any version of the universe, but I used to say that about a 2GB harddrive (a long time ago). What's the general rule of thumb on guesstimating this?

Tage would you mind telling me how much bandwidth TWG uses? If TWG uses 200GB of bandwidth, or less than 40, that would, at least, give me an idea of what to expect.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:10:23 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 03:14:42 PM »
Since we moved servers, we lost all our previous stats, and we haven't had long enough to build up good monthly averages yet. However, I know that TWG by itself almost never pulled more than 20GB per month. A 40GB/month bandwidth is pretty generous, which you'd really never hit unless you were hosting full-length movies, or maybe got linked by fark, slashdot, or penny-arcade.

Which hosts are you looking at, incidentally?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 03:23:24 PM »
lunarpages.com, fuitadnet.com and zyx.net

It's all rather premature at this point, as I'm not even sure if my husband will have a job next month when we are moving out of Wymount (and away from our beautiful, cheap T1 connection). However, it's something I've been meaning to look into for a long time now.

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:25:09 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 03:24:55 PM »
Well at least you'll be able to make Cadbury creme eggs... (read the recipie thread)
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 05:07:29 PM »
well, I already gave you my opinion. zyx will save you money, since it's a donation volunteer thing. However, lunar pages has anything you'd need. and well, you pay them and therefore have a contract to make them fix what's wrong.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 11:44:47 PM »
TW gets close to 100 GB/month, and that is with only the material on the site, none of the download stuff, which is hosted on different mirror servers (the main two of which each do 11 GB/day), or any of the BitTorrent stuff, the tracker for which is on yet another different server.

We get a bit less than 20K visits per day. Removing the pictures on this single page http://www.toriyamaworld.com/manga-full.html cut our daily bandwidth usage by 1.5 GB/day.

If you get only a few hundred visits a day then 40 GB won't be a problem for you. But if you expect thousands a day, you might have problems.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 01:07:55 PM »
Well it also depends on the content too.  TW is basicaly a media site.  Lots of graphics and other high bandwith goodies.

MoD, what are you planning on useing your site for?  Also, as you've been doing, shoping around is a good idea.  Or you might get stuck with a crappy hosting play like those a Rydia.net.  Also decide if it's worth paying for.  There are lots of free hosting out there if you can put up with advertisments.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 01:12:14 PM »
well, that's what zyx.net is. Until now, he hasn't even done banners. and he usually doesn't shove banners up on personal sites. He does ask for donations (this is a guy, not a group or company) to help cover his costs, but they aren't mandatory.

anyway, the big difference I see is that with a site you pay for, like I said, they have obligations to get on it immediately. With free sites, well, you sometimes get what you pay for, which is nothing.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 02:13:04 PM »
Funny you should mention rydia.net as it was the server I was looking at orginally, but they charge more for less features than lunarpages.

The page will basically be for my own personal use, though I may stick my friend's website up, she being too poor to pay for one right now. There are free websites out there, but they don't have php, perl and MySQL--and I'd like to have them so that I can play with them and experiment. If I'm really lucky I might even be able to take some CC courses and learn how to do what I want to do. So, basically, it's a hobby that I think is worth paying for, provided the $$ is available.

Thanks for the bandwidth information guys.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 02:20:26 PM by Treyva »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 03:02:32 PM »
Well it also depends on the content too.  TW is basicaly a media site.  Lots of graphics and other high bandwith goodies.

Well, that's why I said only the things on the site are counted in the 100GB/month. Just graphics (and whatever html pages). None of the "other high bandwidth goodies," which are on other servers.

I was very surprised to discover that the site uses that much bandwidth when files aren't counted in that. Things can add up more quickly than expected.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 04:11:38 PM »
Yeah, fortunately for us here at TWG, our site doesn't have to deal with that whole "internet popularity" thing.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 04:25:54 PM »
popularity is for dorks. Only cool, trendy people are unpopular.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 03:41:44 AM »
Wow that explains so much SE.  My life has meaning now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 04:58:45 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 04:33:24 AM »
SE, I won't even start on what is fundamentally wrong with that statement.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 07:18:33 AM »
I don't really think you need to.  its pretty obvious, to any not *too* drugged on caffeine
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.