Author Topic: Quotes...  (Read 18077 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Quotes...
« on: June 25, 2003, 02:00:38 PM »
Post any quote that strikes your fancy.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill, the British philosopher and economist, penned these words in 1859, in anticipation of the coming war in America over the issue of slavery.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 02:37:35 PM »
From Tycho, bless his foul-mouthed little heart.

I know now the dark depths and dizzying highs of true fandom, and don't pants with me about this because I've got a nine hundred page hardcover in my grip. I'll bat your head clean off and start running for first.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 09:24:16 PM »
another one from Tycho
The Craptacualr makes its home in high forests and dines mostly on fish and psychotropic plants. They are poor spellers and are mystified by commas.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 09:24:34 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 11:32:03 PM »
Ray Barone:
You know when you're growing up and you think your dad's Superman? ANd then you grow up and you realize he's just a guy. . . in a cape. . .

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 06:20:22 PM »
"Fate (only) protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Unknown
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 03:44:02 AM »
monte cook refering to D&D 3.5
A few weeks ago, in an interview at gamingreport.com I said that 3.5 was motivated by financial need rather than by design need -- in short, to make money rather than because the game really needed an update. I said that I had this information from a reliable source.

That source was me. I was there.

See, I'm going to let you in on a little secret, which might make you mad: 3.5 was planned from the beginning.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 03:47:01 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 08:17:57 AM »
One bit of Christianity i actually like:

<Firefly> Time for my prayers:
<Firefly> Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
<Firefly> May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
<Firefly> May j00 0wn earth just like j00 0wn heaven.
<Firefly> Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
<Firefly> And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz, just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
<Firefly> Please don't give us root access on some poor d00d'z box when we're too pissed off to think about what's right and wrong, and if you could keep the fbi off our backs, we'd appreciate it.
<Firefly> For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 02:23:26 PM »
That's awesome.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 07:04:15 PM »
<Vod> Oh Baracus, who was in 'Nam, Mr. T be thy name. Thy van will come with Face and Hannibal, on Earth as it is on TV-Land.
<Vod> Give us this day, our daily milk, and pity us fools, as we pity the fools who cross us.
<Vod> Lead us not into airplanes, and deliver us from Murdock. For thine is the Mohawk and the Van, and the Gold Chains, forever, or at least until the mid-80's. Amen.

For all you MrT affiacandos.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 12:03:15 PM »
"Canada is like a loft apartment above a great party"
--Robin Williams

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2003, 12:22:23 PM »
No one is so offended by the self-important as the self-righteous, yet nothing so offends the self-righteous as not offending anyone.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 09:55:21 AM »
The Constitution of the United States isn't perfect, but its a lot better than what we have now.

This is on Mike Shapiro's Yahoo! profile page, but I'm not sure who said it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 09:56:18 AM by SaintEhlers »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 05:00:36 PM »
I'll admit the chances to get a constitutional referendum to have a King of the United States drafted and passed in time are very slim. Our actual plans are to raise awareness in 2004 and target 2008 for the real quest for the White House. The big thing is to deny Cthulhu from rising out of the ocean and devouring us all before then
Peter Corless of Green Knight Publishing on King Arthur's bid for "King" of the U.S.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 12:17:40 PM »

Wargaming is like a Facehugger. Inject the egg when the target is young, and when the time is right (social situation, disposable income, free time) the horrible, homicidal alien bursts forth from their chest in a frenzy of wargaming.

Get them into the hobby before puberty. Wait for them to go through puberty and they will be back. It's planting the seeds from the future, and although it looks like the seed withers and dies, it is like the seamonkey eggs. Some will hatch when you add them to the water. Others will only hatch if you allow all the water to evaporate, then add more water.

So, wargaming is either like Gieger's Alien, or Seamonkeys, depending on your mood.

- Comment posted by a historical wargamer during a discussion of the hobby.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2003, 02:48:29 PM »
[13:34] EntropyTWG: just think! With the power of the internet your children and fells children can talk online and discuss how much they like the / key
[13:35] SaintEhlers: heheh
[13:35] EntropyTWG: it would be like Gargamel and Fastcar17, only more intelligent