Author Topic: Structured Debate  (Read 1247 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Structured Debate
« on: May 25, 2004, 09:11:35 AM »
We have a massive number of people awesomly good at arguments here. Just look at some of the debate we get into. Step in with an argument and no facts to back it up, and you'll be torn to threads in seconds.

Thus, I propse a series of structured debates. It'd work just like a normla debate, with rules for forum. That is, a time limit not of minutes but of 24 hours and of what fits into a single forum post. The other rules would still apply - an afformative and negative team, each of three members (or possibly four)   a topic open to interpretation, and an odd number of Judges (One or three most likely).

For this to work, we'd need at least six people other than me interested, three for each team. If there's more,  people can rotate between debates (which would take about a week each) or have more judges.

Since I'm organising this, I elect that I could Judge the first, unless someone else particualrly wants to, and I have a good idea for the first topic.

On the subject of topics, these could be anything from both serious debates, or more likely important stuff - we can decide once and for all weather Eowyn or Arwen is hotter, or if Spiderman would beat the Hulk in a fight, and backed up with conclusive evidance.

So, anyone interested, or is it a stupid idea?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Structured Debate
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 09:34:03 AM »
well, the problem with those topics is that we KNOW Eowyn is hotter than Arwen (It took time to convert me, but the truth has power to it) and well, Spider-Man HAS beaten the Hulk in the comics, so there's very little to debate.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 09:35:49 AM »
They were examples for illustration purposes only. They are rperesentations, rather than actual examples, you see.

So are you in or not?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 10:04:11 AM »
probably not. That sounds like work.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:19:56 PM »
I tried doing that a while back.

Can't remember how well it went.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:06:31 PM »
Well, if you get enough people in I will either debate or judge.  I am indifferent to which.  I would suggest the topic of violence in Video Games, since I have a report on the topic due tommorow and I need more sources...  ;D
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!