Author Topic: BEHOLD!  (Read 3691 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: BEHOLD!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 12:44:38 PM »
Once again I have to comment on how perfect that cover is. Hrathen looks exactly like he should, which is a feat in and of itself.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 11:22:55 PM »
Showed my dad the cover and he can't wait to buy it.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 11:58:28 PM »
Actually, I don't like the people. The man looks like a statue. The women... looks very meh. Random passerby number 28.

The background is quite nice, but rather confusing in the manner than Gemm indicated. And the text is a bit cluttered. Hard to read the quote it seems.

But overall, nicey nicey.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 12:14:05 AM »
Once again I have to comment on how perfect that cover is. Hrathen looks exactly like he should, which is a feat in and of itself.

I like his armor, but I imagined Hrathen as much older, middle-aged. I thought at first (without really thinking hard about it) that that was Raoden (I thought that his skin was Elantrian), but now that you point out that it's Hrathen, of course it's the red armor.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 12:14:41 AM »
BTW--the next sample chapter is up, for those of you who haven't read the book yet.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 12:53:06 AM »
Well that's what you get for useing a crappy browser.

Try it now.

http://brainfart.org/badscreenshot.jpg

fix it.

I really doubt it's a browser problem, because I haven't seen a site rendered with problems like this for over a year.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 01:04:17 AM »
I used Safari with OS X at work. We changed over to OS X about 3 weeks before I quit, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but I found it to be a pretty nice browser, except that it's so new that most sites don't program for it. I don't know how the programming is different for it, so I won't comment on that, but I liked the user-end part of it. The tabs, especially, were a nice feature.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 03:05:28 AM »
Wow! Very nice. It looks just like a Tor book.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 03:08:41 AM »
Safari dosen't handle CSS very well, maybe if they did it would be used by more then .4% of the people out there.  Seriously, if you're not going to use IE at least use Mozilla/NS, but it could be worse, you could be useing Opera.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 04:59:55 AM »
Guhh.............turns out it was reading from a cached version of the stylesheet, which didn't have the "pictureholder" div defined. That does seem to be a browser issue. I'll report it as a bug.

The page shows fine now that I reloaded the stylesheet.

And your .4% estimate is low in general, though I don't know what the statistics on brandonsanderson.com are. I'm reading 1-2% estimates on various sites, and arstechnica.com has a 7.06% Safari usage (two most recent versions only). Onestat.com showed an 0.48% usage back in January but as of May 2nd it was up to 0.71%. They haven't reported since then, so perhaps they'd show close to 1% now?

anyway... validator.w3.org gives 167 errors on brandonsanderson.com
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:15:04 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 06:08:44 AM »
I know about the validation errors, but they're actualy all minor that deal with very early versions of IE and NS (like 4.0 and such), or ones caused by my PHP sessions and that I refuse to put alt components in my image tags wich for somereason the validator requires.

oh, and I was going by thecounter.com which as safari as 1% but it's got half what the top 1% browers has so .5% http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/August/browser.php
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 07:01:15 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 12:29:07 PM »
alts are required so that people using lynx and (more importantly) blind people can access the site.

685536/931406567=0.736%

still almost double 0.4%

You're using tables, which do not exist in XHTML. But the browsers seem to be forgiving anyway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 12:32:40 PM by OoklaTheMok »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2004, 12:32:20 PM »
arguing about numbers between .4 and 1.2 percent seems a bit quibbly to me.

However, .4 does represent I guess 1% represents 1 in every hundred people. That's enough for me to think it's worth it. It's hard to worry about one in every 250 people though.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 12:37:50 PM »
I only argued against 0.4% because it took precision that far.

In any case, it was just a cache issue, so anyone new with Safari going to the site will have no problem.

Website creators shouldn't have to tailor their sites to specific browsers, because all browsers should see things the same way. This isn't really true on a lot of little details, but brandon's website isn't super-complicated so there's no effort involved on sprig's part.

And in the last few months for the first time ever Internet Explorer has been losing marketshare.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 12:40:30 PM by OoklaTheMok »

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2004, 02:23:01 PM »
It looks great Brandon.  When will I get my signed copy?   ;D
Boogie woogie woogie!!