Author Topic: Smartest man in the US  (Read 4880 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Smartest man in the US
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2004, 10:12:55 PM »
what? You mean that isn't LIVE?!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2004, 10:37:56 PM »
Good grief. We've finally gotten to watch it. Watching it right now.  That man is a machine.

I'm glad I never had a roommate like that. I've got enough self-esteem issues as it is...
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2004, 11:05:24 PM »
The thing about Ken is he's very unassuming.  Nice, clever, but not 'rub-it-in-your-face' smart.  He was a great roommate.

Intelligence comes in all varieties, Fuzzy.  Some people are brilliant with trivia and quick to push the button, but one man's success should never be the instrument of another man's dejection.  Our worth comes from our inherent individuality.  Part of Ken's individuality is his ability to remember and utilize facts; you have your own individual abilities that are just as valuable.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2004, 12:06:53 AM »
just because we can't think of them fast enough to include them in our posts doesn't mean they don't exist!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2004, 12:14:37 AM »
I would like to point out that this is probably the 20th time in my life that someone has tried to reassure me that I am full of fascinating talents, without being able to name one.  

Previously I have been told that I am really good at being myself, and that I have a memorable and unique personality, which unless perhaps someone offers me a talk show is going to get me zilch.

Oh, I supposed I could go on "Name That Tune" if it's still around.  I'm marvelous at memorizing songs.  Again, not particularly useful.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 12:15:42 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2004, 12:47:53 AM »
You missed my point.  

Your talents don't have to be fascinating, nor do they have to earn you a million dollars, for you to be of equal value to Ken.  It's your unique combination of talents that creates your worth.  

I wasn't giving a "Oh, I'm sure you're good at something" speech.  I was trying to point out something deeper, and more fundamental, about human value.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2004, 02:59:18 AM »
I like that Ken's still not perfect. Tonight I caught him for about the 5th time, and I got the "sulfa drugs" question that he missed! Yay!

He's probably the smartest person I've ever seen on the show. Not because of his answers necessarily, but because of the way he plays the game. He is super-fast on the buzzer, and he doesn't go in for the big risks. He plays as safely as he must. Like tonight, when he was just barely double the 2nd place person's score, so he wagered only $300 on Final Jeopardy (rounding up to the nearest $500 when he got the question right).

That always going for a round number thing though is probably a sign of obsessive compulsion. He's like a Brandon Sanderson character!

Though I've wondered why he doesn't try to go for an odd number that will make his total winning score round to the nearest 10,000.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2004, 05:15:18 AM »
I liked it when he bet just enough to tie for most in a single game, and then Alex was like "Jeez you could've bet another dollar" you know because then he would have had the record rather than just tied for it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2004, 06:02:31 AM »
Conan featured Ken in his monolauge (sp?)

"He's been on so long that when he hears the words 'Alex Trebick' he replys:

'What is: who's my <female dog>!'"

Though the most annoying thing is how people are calling him "KenJen".  What the crap, is he dateing J-Lo or something!  It's like its freaking Bennifer all over again.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »
I think it's kind of amusing.  The thing about watching Ken is that, never having met him, he just really comes across as a nice Mormon guy from Utah.

I really want to meet his wife though, after the thing about the potent potable flash cards.  Now that's just smart.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2004, 10:31:13 AM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 10:31:42 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2004, 04:39:24 AM »
For those who didn't notice, the season's over, and Ken took $75,000 on the final day, after tying the record of $52,000 three times before (what a tease). $1.3 million +. He'll be back for more episodes in September.

Amazing. I would've liked to've seen that episode. On Friday I was still entombed in the depths of Comic-Con though. Alas.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2004, 07:37:06 AM »
Does all this remind anyone else of "Quiz Show?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2004, 05:20:02 PM »
articles make comparison to Van Doren quite often. I doubt many people think Ken's cheating though.

But there is this: http://www.dailyhog.com/jeopardy_07212004_9223.asp

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2004, 05:25:12 PM »
yeah, well, I just think it sounds the same. I don't think that there's really any accusation of cheating.

That article... was .... odd...