Author Topic: Stirring...  (Read 872 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Stirring...
« on: January 05, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »
http://homes.eff.org/~barlow/Declaration-Final.html

JP's not the only one who can find that kind of declaration stirring. Though it ignores the fact that we are all governed outside the net by these heineous organisations, so its all just a pie in the sky :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Stirring...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 09:53:56 PM »
does that guy realize that DeToqueville didn't really have a "dream" and spent as much of his book making fun of the results of American liberties as he did praising us?

Also, does he seriously think there aren't geeks who work for governments who know just as much, if not much much more about technology and the Internet and it's nuances as he does?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 11:16:05 AM »
Yeah...  DeToqueville was pretty sure that America would fail.  Maybe he wrote something else dreamish, though, that I haven't read.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 03:16:17 AM »
I disagree with what that guy wrote. Context, Identity and so forth DO have a place here.

Now, the Hacker's Manifesto - that I read everday, to affirm who I am.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 05:51:57 AM »
Well, actually, it ties in with the comment on the 'intro to the internet' page, where it says that personal achievement in real life has no bearing on how people will act towards you on the net - all net denizens will see, and care about, is your achievements and abilities within the net. Speak like a moron but claim to be a doctor and see how far it gets you.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 10:11:58 PM »
Yes, of course. But that's still identity. For example, I am respected in the TWG community for decent posting and writing reviews and so forth.  It's the same thing based on different Ideals and acvhievements, and one that is a whole lot more honest and deep.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 12:27:24 PM »
...since when are you respected?

Uh, I mean, yeah! Respected, deep comments etc etc. :)

Fellfrosch