Author Topic: Hungry People Watch this space;Gaming Chef's back  (Read 3426 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Hungry People Watch this space;Gaming Chef's back
« on: January 16, 2005, 08:26:50 PM »
Thats right, tonight I adapt and post fun recipes and answer cooking questions if I can...

I owe Msfish a recipe, and Entrosupi needs some ideas for lunch, wean him of pizza for lunch....

Anyone want a recipe, I'll find it or work it out. Anyone entertaining? I'll give you ideas.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Hungry People Watch this space;Gaming Chef's b
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 09:53:50 PM »
Ok, Jeffe, here's a challenge.

I'm always interested in new, quick recipes, but I often have to adapt them to my food allergies. So if you can find me some recipes to add to the bunch that MsFish and Brenna gave me for Christmas, you'll forever be the most superfly chef.

The allergies include: milk and anything made from milk, containing any part of milk, or are derived from milk. This means butter, cream, ghee, yogurt, whey, caseinate, and occasionally "natural flavors;" eggs and anything containing any part of an egg; pork, and yes, this means bacon; fish of any kind including barbeque sauces containing anchovies and oyster/fish sauce; peanuts, and anything with too much tomatoes.

There are some easy substitutions I can make. For example, I've found a couple of brands of margarine that are dairy-free so a butter substitution is no problem. I also have a powdered egg replacer based on soy products that sometimes work and sometimes doesn't: I have yet to make a decent non-egg brownie.

If you choose to accept this assignment you do so of your own volition. This message will self-distruct in  . . .

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 10:44:20 PM »
For butter substitute Fleischmann's unsalted margarine,  or soy butter. .
For melted butter substitute oil or melted margarine.
For milk used simply as a liquid, substitute water or Rice Dream. If you're baking, fruit juice can add a nice touch. Reduce the amount of sugar that the recipe calls for, though.
For cream, try Farm Rich, available in the refrigerator section of many grocery stores.
For milk used as a thickener, substitute pureed tofu. (Be sure to puree the tofu completely. Finding granular lumps of tofu in a recipe calling for milk is repulsive.)
If you need to make a French-style roux (which calls for butter and flour) use margerine and any other liquid instead. You can thicken soups lightly this way, which permits you to make "cream" recipes without the cream. A Cajun-style roux uses oil and flour, and is also an excellent thickener for liquids.
For condensed or evaporated milk one reader suggests using Jello "cookable" vanilla pudding mix with soy milk to substitute in recipes for evaporated or condensed milk. She says, "It works particurlarly well in pumpkin pie. It would probably also work in fudge sauce -- just use a receipe based on evaporated or condensed milk. I add 3 tablespoons of pudding mix to 3/4 cup of soy milk to get the equivalent of 3/4 cup of the other milks."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:04:12 AM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:19:41 PM »
5 Spice Scallops w/ Lemon Sauce
2lbs of Sea Scallops rinsed and drained
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup canola or corn oil

Marinade

3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice wine (I like Mirin a sweet japanese rice wine  that has a low alchol content and a lot of natural sugar)
1 Tsp 5 spice powder
  Black pepper to taste
2 tbsp minced ginger and garlic

Lemon Sauce
6 tbsp chicken broth (you can do up to a cup if you are cooking more scallops)
3 tbsp lemon juice (its easiest to get a Real lemon bottle or squeeze bulb)
1tsp sesame oil
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp cornstarch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 11:52:05 PM »
living without eggs

When cooking at home, you can almost always omit eggs from recipes by adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of liquid to balance out the moisture content. Or you can substitute one of these egg alternatives in your recipes. Each of these replaces one egg (these substitutes may not work as well in recipes that call for more than three eggs):

1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 tablespoon liquid + 1 tablespoon vinegar  

1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water

1 1/2 tablespoons water + 1 1/2 tablespoons oil + 1 teaspoon baking powder

1 packet gelatin + 2 tablespoons warm water (don't mix until ready to use)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 11:54:10 PM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 11:59:48 PM »
Soy bacon is a nice substitue to bacon....

Flavored oils are a nice investment if you cant have butter, obviously check to see if they have nut infusions...

Oh and there is a soy alternative to yoghurt

Soy Yoghurt!!!

http://www.vegfamily.com/product-reviews/whole-soy-yogurt.htm

Use lots of fresh spices, especially ginger and garlic...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:02:01 AM by ElJeffe »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 12:00:13 AM »
Wow, Old One, I'd be very very sad if I developed those allergies. You named about every favorite food or ingredient of my favorite foods. I love fish, and I love anything that combines flour, eggs, butter, and milk. And pork, too--not a favorite, but definitely a staple.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 12:17:21 AM »
This recipe is from Jamie Olivers "Happy Days with the Naked Chef" and it has a nice combination of crunch and spice.

Sirloin of Beef with Bok Choy (its an asian cabbage or lettuce with big cruchy stalks) Soy Sauce and ginger.

2 8oz sirloin steaks, salt and pepper (sea salt or kosher salt are best)

2 bok choy... any green will do, even celery, but crunchy is better than soggy.
8 tbs of soy sauce
1/2 to 1 clove of garlic minced or grated
1 thumb sized piece of ginger peeled (use a spoon to scrape off the skin, you'll be amazed how well it works)  and grated
If you want heat a chili seeded and diced or grated is nice.

Juice of 1 lime

2tbs olive oil

Put the soy sauce in a small cup or bowl

mix the giner garlic, and pepper with the lime juice and olive oil

Boil some water with salt

Throw the steaks in a skillit, or put them on a grill untill cooked to your liking, while the steaks are going boil the greens in water untill tender.

Drain the greens, and plate, take the steak and douse it in soy sauce and then cover with the mixed spices. Slice the steaks, put on the greens and pour the juices back on the greens.

Eat....

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 12:40:44 AM »
My favorite dessert

Original Nilla Banana Pudding

Layers of Nilla wafers, creamy pudding and fresh banana slices are the stars of this American classic.

Prep: 30 mins - Cook: 15 mins - Cool: 15 mins

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Dash salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
45 NILLA Wafers, divided
5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
Additional NILLA Wafers and banana slices, for garnish

1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

2. Reserve 10 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1 1/2-quart casserole; cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.

3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.

4. Bake at 350°F in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with additional wafers and banana slices just before serving.

Makes 8 servings

Nutritional Info Per Serving:
287 calories, 6 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 7 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 117 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 1 g dietary fiber

This recipe created by McCormick, Inc.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 03:54:27 AM »
Hey!  My mom used to make that stuff!  I had forgotten about it.  Yummmm....

Thanks for the scallop recipe!   ;D
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 03:54:34 AM »
Poulet Yassa (Chicken Yassa)
A traditional chicken dish from the Casamance region of Senegal, Poulet Yassa (Chicken Yassa), is one of the most famous African recipes and is found in Senegalese restaurants the world over. For best results let the chicken marinate overnight; in Africa, this is essential to tenderize the sometimes tougher African fowl. It is also very good when made with fish, see: Poisson Yassa. For the simplest yassa, make the marinade from just oil, lemon juice, onions, and a little mustard.

What you need

one-half cup peanut oil (or any cooking oil)
one chicken, cut into serving-sized pieces
four (or six, or more!) onions, cut up
eight tablespoons lemon juice
eight tablespoons vinegar (cider vinegar is good)
one bay leaf
four cloves minced garlic
two tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
one or two tablespoons Arome Maggi® sauce (or Maggi® cubes and water), or soy sauce (optional)
chile pepper, cleaned and finely chopped (optional)
cayenne pepper or red pepper, black pepper, salt (to taste)
a small cabbage, cut into chunks (optional)
a few carrots, cut into chunks (optional)

What you do

Mix all ingredients (except the optional vegetables), the more onions the better, and allow chicken to marinate in a glass dish in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Remove chicken from the marinade, but save the marinade. Cook according to one of the following methods.

Cooking method 1: Grill chicken over a charcoal fire (or bake it in a hot oven) until chicken is lightly browned but not done.

Cooking method 2: Sauté chicken for a few minutes on each side in hot oil in a frypan.

While chicken is browning: Remove onions from marinade and sauté them in a large saucepan for a few minutes. Add remaining marinade and the optional vegetables and bring to a slow boil and cook at a boil for ten minutes. Cook the marinade into a sauce. Reduce heat.

Add chicken to the sauce, cover and simmer until chicken is done. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 04:01:20 AM »
Hey, do you think you could throw all the ingredients in a crock pot and let them cook that way?  I'd be alot more likely to actually make something like that, and I know the Senegalese slow cook things....
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 04:05:57 AM »
yeah, but you need to sear the chicken (brown it) first... it seals the outside and keeps it from falling apart... make sure its actually pretty well cooked, because you dont want rawish chicken in the pot too long and slow cookers are kind of low temp...
The slow cooker will disintegrate your veggies too...

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 04:06:00 AM »
Have you ever tasted Fleishman's margarine? It's disgusting.

Soy milk and other soy products have a distinct aftertaste, and rice milk is supersweet. It's only recently that I've finally found a brand of soy milk that I can stand to put on my cereal, and I'm not to the point of drinking it straight, yet. Unless it's chocolate and I heat it up in the microwave.

The egg substitute I use is a combination of potato starch, tapioca flour and a leavening mixture that includes baking soda and citric acid. But like I said, it doesn't work for brownies. There are several really cool recipes on the package, though, including a custard recipe and a lemon pie filling recipe. There's even a recipe for quiche, but I haven't had the guts to try it yet.

For milk, I substitute 8th Continent Soy milk. The vanilla pudding mix is an interesting idea, but I've found that even in cookable pudding mixes they put in milk protein to help it set and hide it under the mask of "natural flavors." I can't tell you how many times I've tried something with a seemingly safe ingredients list (except for "natural flavors") and had a reaction. Only a few companies are identifying what is included in those "natural flavors" and more often than not it does include a milk product.

I'm very wary of anything saying that it's non-dairy, because usually it isn't. It can call itself non-dairy and still contain caseinate (and occasionally whey).

Mocha Mix doesn't contain dairy, but it's also 20 calories per teaspoon, 15 from fat,  made of coconut oil and palm oil, and I do have some standards when it comes to fat intake. I imagine Farm Rich is something like this, but I wouldn't count it as non-dairy until I see the ingredients for myself. Almost all "non-dairy" creamers contain some form of milk protein.

I LOVE soy yogurt, especially Silk and WholeSoy (which tastes the best and has the best texture, but not enough calcium). They have some good flavors and I end up getting the majority of my calcium intake from that and the soy milk.

Have you ever tried soy bacon? It's very, very, very dry, and tastes like the paper that my husband seems to think the vegan cheese looks like. Even better than soy bacon is turkey bacon--but that assumes that you're not a vegan. It has enough fat to keep it moist, but not enough to cause an immediate infarction.

Thanks Jeffe for the research and for the vegan coconut cake recipe. Wow. That looks really good. But one pound of sugar? Time to break out the Splenda.