Author Topic: Japan: Explain thyself.  (Read 4607 times)

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
Re: Japan: Explain thyself.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »
And since a number of baby-boomers chose to sacrifice family time for work time, they expect the same sacrifice from their co-workers/employees.

I interviewed with one company where the interviewer blantantly told me how upset he was that they had to hire someone new because his old employee decided to quit so he could spend more time with his family. Then the interviewer went off on how he felt his old employee was an idiot and a traitor. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't get that job.

That is so sad and I'm glad you didn't get that job either. That is one reason why I like my job. In the interview my boss told me that I should do whatever is best for my family, i.e. I should only accept the job if it will be what is best for my family (or future family since me and my husband don't have any kids yet). I thought that was so great for him to say. I know that he'll understand if I have to quit to have children. It also makes me want to be a better employee.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 02:24:40 PM by Jelly_Belly »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 11:42:30 AM »
I generally agree with all the discussion here.

I've yet to have a job where they expect me to neglect family, though.  But then, I'm still young...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 12:25:05 PM »
Expecting you to neglect you family is not something placed on young workers alone. It's at every age level.

One problem is that when you agree to work overtime or sacrfice personal time for work time, many managers don't understand why you wouldn't be willing to do the same over and over again. Then they quit asking you if you are willing to do the extra work and just start expecting you to do it.

When I worked at PDC, overtime was mandatory, not optional. I saw at least 2 people fired for not working enough overtime. Didn't matter that for one of them it was because her baby-sitter wasn't willing to work the over-time too. Not sure if that was entirely legal, but like many companies, they will do what they want until someone forces them to change.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 12:26:13 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 12:39:06 PM »
Im pretty sure its not legal since the 40 hour work week is a federal standard.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 01:56:33 PM »
When I worked at PDC, overtime was mandatory, not optional. I saw at least 2 people fired for not working enough overtime. Didn't matter that for one of them it was because her baby-sitter wasn't willing to work the over-time too. Not sure if that was entirely legal, but like many companies, they will do what they want until someone forces them to change.

That was my experience at PDC, too. They'd complain if I "only" made 40 hours in a week. I'm surprised I lasted two years there, because I'm allergic to overtime.  ;)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 04:10:47 PM »
I'm sorry for being ignorant, but what's PDC?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 05:16:24 PM »
Pedofile Defence Contractors. A japanese out-sourcing company.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 06:06:51 PM »
The Phone Dictatorship Company...

I mean the Phone Directories Co.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2005, 09:49:22 PM »
I'm not allergic to overtime yet., I like the money too much.  At sento I had 28 hours of overtime on a paycheck once....

The problems with companies and overtime are this - they want it when THEY want it.  you don't get to pick the weeks you work overtime ususally. Unauthorized overtime can get you fired, and not putting in "required" overtime apparnetly can get you "let go" so you have to pretty much do everything they say.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:50:34 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2005, 10:00:44 PM »
heh, Brian, who is on a mission but who posted to AORP, was fired from a job for signing in early once. That was so insipid.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2005, 12:39:42 AM »
You see I listen to these stories and wonder why you did not undertake drastic action to cleanse the genepool of 'tards.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2005, 12:00:17 PM »
I have a tough time explaining to some people, that absolutist careerism is not my cup of tea.
That I would be happy to make enough to provide for my family and anything else would be nice, but unnessiacary and not worth the stress, time and sacrifice.  
I just want a Chevy and a Ranch-style house.
Not a Porche and a 5000sq foot custom build

It alwasy seemed to me that the simple households were the happier ones.

Oh and babyboomers have alot to awnser for in the problems of this country.  Amazing that the "greatest" generation was able to spawn such a self-centered irresponsible yet grandstanding in show-values group of ingrates.  

There are exceptions of-course.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:06:48 PM by D66 »
Alles!!!

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2005, 12:08:12 PM »
I agree with that. From my experience, it is the simple families who have a smaller home and have enough to have the necessities in life and a little more than that are more likely to be happy. I have heard that smaller homes make a more tight-nit family group. Also, if you think about it, the more you own, the more stuff you have to take care of and keep up. The bigger your house and yard are, the more there is to clean, weed, mow, fix, vacuum, etc. Now I'm not saying I don't want a good-sized house, but I am thinking 3 or 4 bedrooms, 2 or 2 1/2 baths, a two-car garage, and a yard big enough to have a small garden and for my future kids to play in. Unless I had more than 6 kids, I don't see a problem with that size (and we're not planning on having that many, so I don't think it will be).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:09:30 PM by Jelly_Belly »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2005, 12:53:28 PM »
4 bedrooms is plenty. My wife's family had 8 kids, and they made do with 3 bedrooms for the kids and one for the parents. And one of the kids is non-communicative autistic, and for several reasons needed his own room, which left 2 bedrooms for 7 kids.

Now, their house is crowded, and everyone would like more space, but everyone feels that need. I think as long as everyone has a bed and everyone has a space to do their homework and dinner can still be made with that going on, you've got the minimum. Naturally, I WANT more than that, but if it comes at the cost of seeing my kids even less than I do right now, no dice.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »
I agree with you three.

But my girlfriend is going into Neurosurgery (if she can, otherwise she'll fall back into Cardiology).

She wants to be fairly wealthy.  *sigh*
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."