Author Topic: BYUvians  (Read 5272 times)

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
Re: BYUvians
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 11:07:22 AM »
So even though there are 100,000 people who live in Provo, if you do live in Provo you must either go to BYU, work at BYU, or have graduated from BYU, huh? . . . Well, in this case it's true, but you shouldn't assume things.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »
well, when you narrow the age category down to 18-30, and realize that nearly half of those 100,000 are BYU students (well over half, I think, when you factor in Provo residents that are BYU faculty, staff, and alumni), then I think my percentage chance of being right on that assumption skyrockets. Plus the fact that most of the Utah visitors (nearly all?) to this site come by way of being referred by current visitors means that you are very likely to have a connection to one of our regulars in Utah.... nearly all of which do/did go to BYU (and being in Provo means it's probably not HoM that referred you -- and being female means that it was probably one of the women who referred you). So yeah, while there may be 100,000 residents of Provo, I think the odds of being right on this one were pretty high

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 12:17:18 PM »
I have to say that the name 'jelly belly' conjures wierd and strange mental images.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 12:23:34 PM »
I knew you were BYU because I recognized your email address from your application at CTMH. I hear you got another job somewhere else?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 01:47:49 PM »
Is this Dan? I didn't realize. Yeah I did. It's full time with benefits. Couldn't really turn that down, even though it's technical editing. Plus I got the offer first and didn't know what was going to happen with CTMH.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
I'm not really sure why I picked jelly belly, but my nick is jillenabean as in jelly bean and I love jelly belly candy. There are no jelly beans besides jelly belly. It's good stuff.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 08:19:28 PM »
Here, here.  

Glad you found the thread, by the way.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 12:25:51 AM »
OH. I know who you are then.  :)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 12:30:04 PM »
Thanks. I'm proud of myself for being able to wade through the many forums and find this one. Very proud  ;) .

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 03:44:28 PM »
I have a request for those of you still attending BYU. My brother is starting in the fall, and I offered to try and get him a paper copy of the BYU University Catalog. I know that it is online, but sometimes it's easier to plan four years of your life when you can bookmark, fold the corners and highlight.

Can anyone help me out? I will pay for the catalog and postage, I just need someone willing to do the walking mailing for me.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 05:09:35 PM »
I can do that, if you want.  How do you want to work it?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 05:45:12 PM »
Speaking of BYUvians--do any of you currently go to BYU or live in Provo and would like to work on Leading Edge Magazine? We have a strong core of staffers, but we still have positions opening up. If you or anyone you know is interested, we meet on T & TH 7:30 to 9 p.m. and Sat 10:30 to noon at the Crandall House West (two houses west of the bell tower and across from the Marriott Center). We could really use some more people, esp. as summer approaches. Please come, enjoy the insanity of our conversation and read wonderful (and sometimes not so wonderful) stories from the slush pile. Trust me--it's a blast! All TLEers--MsFish, Mr. M, OldOne, Brenna, fuzzyoctopus, and more--can testify! (I believe Fell, EUOL, and others used to be members as well.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 05:45:32 PM by Jelly_Belly »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 07:26:03 PM »
Fell, EUOL, Tage, Ookla, and SE have all been editors, in fact.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 07:46:06 PM »
/me snickers as that's basically all the literary inclined people on the board who are in provo
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »
Send me an email to dreamon27x at gmail dot com with your address and I will send you a check for the catalog and postage. Do you think $15 will cover it? It's been a while since I've been to the bookstore. ;)

Thank you so much for your help, MsFish.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy