Author Topic: Who turned in my HumPub key??????  (Read 1811 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Who turned in my HumPub key??????
« on: June 03, 2005, 07:29:03 PM »
Hey!

I just got an email saying that my key to the Humanities Publication Center got turned in to the Key Office, and that I can pick up my deposit in 285 BRWB.

Who turned my key in? I don't even remember who I gave it to when I graduated FOUR YEARS AGO. I assume it has passed through several TLE staffers' hands since then. I meant for it to be of use until the end of time... What prompted this?! Is the HumPub moving from Crandall House West or something?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
Re: Who turned in my HumPub key??????
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:50:25 PM »
No, I heard they're re-keying the building. May have something to do with how many fifth-generation keys are floating around! lol
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »
I know they have threatened several times to re-key the building because there were so many unaccounted for keys. It seemed that every student publication had at least one unaccounted for key.

Also, I thought they would be closing down the Crandall House West soon?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 12:41:47 AM »
I never saw a point in returning my key, especially because you only get back part of your deposit when you turn the key in--so if I turned mine in, the next fiction director or whatever who needed a key would be out 5 bucks or whatnot. Plus we had a long and proud tradition of passing on the keys.

If they had a way to transfer the record for the key to a new person without having to pay the money, if we both went to the office together and showed our requisition forms or whatever, I would have done that gladly, but that wasn't an option.

I'd still like to know who turned my key in, if they caught the name of who it belonged to when they gave it back to the key office--I wouldn't expect anyone to remember whose it was otherwise...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:44:50 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 12:56:06 AM »
I doubt anyone turned in your key. They're just sending out notices to the people on the old key check out slips since they've re-keyed the building. At least that's what I was told when I exchanged my old key for the new one.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 02:47:19 AM »
oh...

that's nowhere near as fun.  :(

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 06:26:28 PM »
Actually, if you're Peter, I turned your key in. I got it from fuzzy while I was fiction director, but when I went to get a new key--since I'm now an editor and entitled to one and they rekeyed the building so I had to get a new one--they said since the key I had was not given to me, I had to give them a deposit for a new key and they would email you to try to give you your money back. I'm pretty sure you get the whole deposit back, though (all $10 or whatever you paid, at least that's what they do now :)). It's probably good though, cause Dr. Thorne told me, when I got the key card, that he would really appreciate it if we not pass keys on to other staff members. I really like and respect Dr. Thorne, so I think I will turn in mine when I am no longer a staff member.

I guess I should say sorry :P for turning your key in, but it was either that or have a worthless key that doesn't open anything.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 06:35:53 PM by Jelly_Belly »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »
Did you ask Dr. Thorne if there is a way that you and the next person who needs a key can go and get the key officially transfered without having to pay extra money? That's what they should do...as I said above...

I forgot I gave my key to fuzzy. Makes sense. I am glad that it served you well!

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 10:31:39 PM »
As far as I know, things have changed. You give them a ten dollar deposit and when you turn in the key, you get your ten dollars back. I'm almost sure this is the case. I used to work in the Linguistics Dept office and dealt with key cards all the time. So if I'm right, it doesn't really matter because it doesn't really cost any money to get a key.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 12:03:15 AM »
Well, it has always just been a deposit as far as I know. You get the entire deposit back when the key is returned.

I know when I worked for Mel, BYU was concerned about the security risk of unreturned HumPub keys and keys passed on to succeeding staff members. I think they said that they were going to rekey the building if there were more than 5 or 6 unaccounted for keys then they were going to rekey the building. Course, nearly every stundent publication had an unaccounted for key. I have a hard time seeing someone robbing or vandalizing the HumPub, but I can see why BYU officials would set a presidence.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 12:38:00 AM »
If anything we'd just break in for a late night D&D session... oh wait, we did that for years.

Yeah yeah, set a precedent.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »
Ah. I believed that you only got part of the deposit back, like it was $15 and you only got $10 back. Oh well. I don't weep for forgetting details like that.