Author Topic: Google Ads  (Read 45718 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Google Ads
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »
Easy to ignore.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »
Yeah, ditto. At first, they were disorienting but the format and placement they have now is easy enough to ignore after a bit. Sure, I wish we didn't have to have them. But w/o trying it out, it's near impossible to see if they'd generate enough $ to buy a game or two. *shrug* Wait and see, I guess.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Marche100

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »
Its easy to ignore them. Veeerrrryyy easy.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2006, 02:26:45 AM »
Like I said, I have always loved the fact that TWG is ad-free, and this is only a trial. That said, we have earned 4 and a half bucks since putting them up on Friday afternoon, so that's what, just over $2 a day? We get paid for both click-throughs and page impressions, for those who are curious, and in a purely monetary sense it does seem to be working out. Most of you seem to hate them, though, so in that sense they're not working out at all.

I've been thinking about how best to use this money, and one of the ideas that came up was helping to subsidize the mass trip to WorldCon in August. There are ten or so forum regulars going, and if we buy nothing else (and if this rate keeps up) we'll have a few hundred dollars by then to help pay for hotels and gas and meals. It won't be a lot, especially spread out over that many people, but it would help. It's just a thought. There are plenty of other possibilities, too: paying for Magic drafts and other games/food at TWG get-togethers, buying RPG books we can't otherwise get (which applies to those outside of Utah as well), paying Tage for the web space that thus far he has more or less been comping us, and so on. This is money that you guys are earning via writing articles and posting on the site, and I want to make sure it gets used to benefit you.

In other words: I know they're distasteful, but if you can get used to them they do look like they'll have a direct and significant effect on what we can do. Give it a week and see what you think; if you really hate them, we'll take them down. They're no good to anyone if they drive people away.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2006, 02:37:38 AM »
Wow $4 already!  I was expecting something along the line of $.10-$.25 a day.

Most of you seem to hate them, though, so in that sense they're not working out at all.

I don't think that's the case, I think it's more 60-40 with only 40% not liking them and the others not bothered by them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:47:45 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2006, 05:20:33 AM »
That's good money, Fell.  It's worth the slight annoyance.  Think of it this way, folks:  Tage hosts this all for free for us.  Without him, we'd have to be paying what, fifty bucks a month for this bandwidth?  I have to say that the google ads are the most unobtrusive, well-targeted ads you can get without actually seeking individual advertisers.  I think it's a good and simple balance for the site.  

Just a personal opinion, but I'm not sure subsidizing the trip to Worldcon sounds right to me.  Too many of us go to it in order to advance are careers.  It seems to me that the money from the site should go toward directly improving the experience for all of its readers--meaning getting more review materials.  (Though, perhaps sending one person to the con, who then blogged about it a lot, might be appropriate.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2006, 08:27:01 AM »
You could buy me computer games =)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2006, 04:19:19 PM »
Most of you seem to hate them, though, so in that sense they're not working out at all.

I'm starting to get used to them; it's not like I"m not used to seeing them on other webpages, just I'm not used to the way it looks on this one.   You know how we all are with change.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
I don't mind them at all.  I think people in general are likely to oppose change, so that could account for a lot of the opposition.  

I also don't think subsidizing World Con is a practical idea.  You could easily spend a couple hundred dollars on game books etc. in eight months, right?  So the site gets more and better reviews, and members get free stuff.  Seems logical to me.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2006, 07:24:41 PM »
We get paid for both click-throughs and page impressions, for those who are curious, and in a purely monetary sense it does seem to be working out.

So all we have to do to boost that monetary income (and thereby get more games) would be to click on one of the ads each time we visit?
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2006, 07:26:10 PM »
That was my understanding, so that's what I've been doing.  I figure it's not that far out of my way to click on some of these things.  Some of them are amusing, too.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
Ah, there's nothing like a little group intrigue to keep me coming back to TWG. 8)

Edit: But I second someone else's comment that it'd be nice if another window would come up when you click on a google ad so that you wouldn't get spirited away from the TWG site.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:40:04 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »
You could buy me computer games =)

Although probably said in jest, I think this is *exactly* what ad money should be used for. Well ok, not for Entropy exclusively, but for anyone who will write a good review.

Most of the regulars here contribute to our site content. I think we should help those people who have reliably written good reviews. So if we get $60 in a month, I think a fair distribution would be to get:
an RPG book
a board game
a movie pass for each of the brothers Gibbs
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »
Yea! Time for the bickering to start.

I don't think the Gibbs should get a single penny until they start using the site's review system.  If we get rid of that silly 2 score system that they're insisting on using then ya they deserve a ticket or two a month.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2006, 12:17:45 AM »
We should subsidise their tickets to crap films though. Otherwise we'd have nothing but good reviews, and that looks bad ;)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch