Author Topic: This kid rules  (Read 5105 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: This kid rules
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 10:24:38 AM »
Seconded.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:55:06 AM »
Wow, that principal and teacher did not handle that well. Poor kid.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 02:04:08 PM »
Simply amazing. Someone should tell the people at that school that forced patriotism does nothing but prove that a country is less worthy of being proud of. I would like to see their reactions.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 02:19:37 PM »
The Kid was acting like an 8 year old Kid.  
BFD
The administration over reacted.  However the Paren and author of the Blog showed sincear disresepect to the country in his statements.  
So
Kid Ok
Parent =doofus
Alles!!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 02:24:31 PM »
oh, I don't know that I agree with that assessment of the parent's reaction.

It was funny. She laughed. The school wants to force patriotism. and as much as I love my country and want others to do it, suspending someone for not agreeing with you is extreme, even if the kid had been in HS. So the parent thought how silly that principle was.

Sounds to me more like she was just laughing at the situation.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 03:19:01 PM »
Oseleon, I can see your not a brit right away. Even the most patriotic british (I count myself as heavily that way) will mock britain mercilessly if he can. I know a civil servant who constantly crack jokes about how crap britain is. And to us, the repeating of an oath of allegance is hysterically funny, such poo-faced need to be solemn about something we always poke fun at. (That habit is why 150,000 people put 'jedi' as their religion last census, to mock the whole thing). You'll find a lot of jokes at british culture in Prattchet, Monty Python, etc.

Of course, if you as a foreigner were to come to Britain and crack jokes about how crap we are, you'd get lynched, or at least get less than stellar customer service.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »
Wouldn't we get that anyway? Zing!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 04:37:48 PM »
There was some laughing at the situation but there was also lots of "America is bad because we're at war in Iraq, can't we all just get along" rhetoric.  She wasn't trying to convince anyone it was just obvious that all right thinking people agreed with her subtext on that point.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
uhm... no.

she said
"Hey Lady, it's a big universe. Why should we pledge allegiance to a mixed-up country? Why shouldn't my son embrace the potential of stardust?"

so she said it was a mixed up country. That's unpatriotic? That cruel? I'm sorry, I don't see it.

The only thing I can see is that "Why should we pledge allegiance." But keep in mind that this is in the context of a kid who is psycho over Star Trek. That's what he was pledging allegiance to. I think any charges of hating america or political subtext are a severe over-reaction.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:54:37 PM »
     I think that you are reading too much into her thoughts Skar. She never mentioned anything about the war in Iraq. It seems like you assumed that because she said the country was "mixed-up" that she was saying that because of the war in Iraq. There are any number of possibilities as to why someone would say that.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 10:33:20 AM »
Yes, but realisticly we know what she was aluding to
Alles!!!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »
Realistically we know how to spell, and how not to jump to vastly overblown and inflamatory conclusions.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 11:15:38 AM »
I don't think you can claim to know what she was alluding to. There's no content I've found at  all (in her comments or in the blog itself) that she's talking about anything specific at all.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 11:17:15 AM »
Oh come on, Ent -- you've been around here long enough to know that's not realistic.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com