Author Topic: Job opportunity X2  (Read 2294 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Job opportunity X2
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:25:45 PM »
Anyone in California, or who knows anyone, my husband's company, Temple Games, wants to hire someone in the bay area to be their store liason.  They need someone who is already familiar with games, game stores, ccgs, etc who can travel around and demo to local game stores who sell their product.  PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:41:05 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Job opportunity
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:37:34 PM »
2nd job opportunity -
Temple Games needs someone who knows php (or another similar scripting language) and can build a database-driven website from the ground up, ASAP.  Also needed is someone who can redo the existing websites so that they are tied together as more of a single entity that's easy for employees to update with minimal html knowledge. Ideally these websites will feature lots of user functionality that is tied in to the user's message board (vBulletin) ID.

NOT location-dependant like the other job. You can work from anywhere.

If you're interested you can contact jt (at) templegames (dot) com

Spriggan, you  know php, don't you?  I think at least one other person on here does.  This would be a one-time job, not long-term employment.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:38:15 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Job opportunity X2
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 03:47:33 PM »
well, I do, but as for speed, I couldn't vouch for it. I'll shoot him an email anyway.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »
I'm interested I guess, depends on how much they need done and if they'll pay my price.  Building a site and custom backend from scratch isn't cheap, but it's my specialty.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:56:57 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Job opportunity
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
2nd job opportunity -
Temple Games needs someone who knows php (or another similar scripting language) and can build a database-driven website from the ground up, ASAP.  Also needed is someone who can redo the existing websites so that they are tied together as more of a single entity that's easy for employees to update with minimal html knowledge. Ideally these websites will feature lots of user functionality that is tied in to the user's message board (vBulletin) ID.

Huh, a custom db-driven web site that ties into an existing forum authentication system? So... like this site? ;)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 04:35:24 PM »
Hey, is that lucky or what?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 04:36:17 PM »
I asked JT for a more detailed list so I can send a bid, once he sends me that I can forward it to you Tage if you want.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 04:38:38 PM »
I'm not really interested in extra work. Although I'm tired of WoW so I might have some time. Just pass along anything you get, Sprig.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »
done.  Sent it to your work address since that's the only one I have.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 07:31:59 PM »
I love how you prefaced the details with "nothing complicated," Sprig. Actually, it looks quite complicated, especially considering the amount of design work they're looking for, too.

As a word of warning to JT, it's unlikely they'll be able to use the existing content from their Rails sites. Rails doesn't use standard HTML, from what I've seen, and it won't just transfer over to PHP. ALL of those sites will likely have to be redesigned from the ground up, and they aren't simple sites.

I can't say for sure, of course, not having much experience with Rails and not having seen the code. However, I'd be willing to bet it'd take a *full time* web developer several months to meet all the requirements.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 08:07:33 PM »

As a word of warning to JT, it's unlikely they'll be able to use the existing content from their Rails sites. Rails doesn't use standard HTML, from what I've seen, and it won't just transfer over to PHP.

You're right; Rails, as far as I know, is Perl based.  The site was designed by a guy who loved Ruby on Rails and went on and on about how great it was and easy it would be - then he quit and they couldn't find anyone else to take his job who KNOWS it.  It's not a widely known language.  They've then hired three more people who don't know Rails who have tried to muddle through, and they just need this done.

*shrug*

The whole hiring a new web person has been kind of a mess and I don't know how much I want to get into on a public forum, but I do understand it's a bit of a trial - don't anyone feel obligated. But if any of you are able and willing to help, and if they'll pay you enough money that it's worth the effort, then great, everyone wins.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 08:16:47 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 08:21:50 PM »
I love how you prefaced the details with "nothing complicated," Sprig. Actually, it looks quite complicated, especially considering the amount of design work they're looking for, too.

I guess we have different ideas of complicated, which to me is something I don't know how to do very well or requires a lot of work on small parts.

I think the whole project will be time consuming, especially on the design part, but all the coding is rather simple.  And since the backend is basically the same for all the sites you're just doing it once.  Also JT mentioned to me they don't care about any of the current rails stuff, just the HTML which is easy enough to get.

I'm still looking things over, but I think the backend could be done in a month or less.  Doing all the individual website designs could take some more time.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:30:04 PM by Spriggan »

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
I was going to suggest that they hire someone full time to do their web stuff, but they've already hired THREE people? They need to get those three guys on the ball then, rather than looking to contract someone else for a quick fix.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 05:03:41 PM »
I was going to suggest that they hire someone full time to do their web stuff, but they've already hired THREE people? They need to get those three guys on the ball then, rather than looking to contract someone else for a quick fix.

They've quit.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »
Oh. That sucks. In that case, I stand by my original sentiment that they should hire full-time instead of looking to contract out. :)