Author Topic: Is there anything good about Northern Virginia?  (Read 2566 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Is there anything good about Northern Virginia?
« on: December 10, 2005, 11:34:22 PM »
I know that this might hit close to home for some people but what is good about Northern Virginia?

I'm actually posting this to find out about Northern Virginia because I have an job interview in McLean, VA on Thursday. A "Big 4" accounting firm is paying for me to fly out to Virginia this week and I want to know what people think of Virginia as a place to live. My wife is from Maryland, so she has her own opinion. I figure that I will have a better shot of getting the job if I knew a little more about VA. Does anyone have any useful information?
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anything good about Northern Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 12:30:39 AM »
Yes.
Anything specific your looking for? I mean I could try to sell you, but dont know what you like or consider good. If your asking about Traffic, it sucks, other than that there is a ton of stuff to do. If you like history you have DC nearby, a plethora of Battlefields historic sites and other goodies. You have an active music scene, a good theater scene (one of the best in the nation) Plenty of sports from minor league baseball to major league soccar and football. Your not far from one of the best national parks in the country and the beach is just 2 hours away.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:45:55 PM »
Jeez.  Now I want to move to Northern Virginia.  

Oh wait, I can't afford it.  Oh well.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 05:03:55 PM »
heck I cant afford it.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 05:08:35 PM »
Which means I never will be able to, what with my choice of careers.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 05:15:38 PM »
nah it just means you need to have rich roomates.... you can get a room for a reasonable amount, or a basement apt...
I just live beyond my means.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 12:27:29 PM »
NoVA is expensive in terms of real estate. Very expensive. Esp. if you're used to Utah-like prices.

Commutes are typically longer in NoVA than in many other places in the country. I have an average commute at 45-75 minutes (depending on traffic and how quickly I get a ride... If I were to drive, it'd probably be about 45 every day). It is not uncommon for people to live in West Virginia or Fredricksburg and take a 2+ hour commute into the city, just because real estate is so much more affordable out there.

However, as Jeffe pointed out, the art/theater/etc scenes are great. Plus the history: many, many, many colonial, revolutionary, antebellum, and civil war era sites are in 2 hours or less drive. Many more are day-trip worthy. The variety of food (dining out or groceries) is amazing with more access to authentic cousine from around the world than nearly anywhere else. The education is among the best in the nation (particularly Fairfax County, where Jeffe and I grew up, and where I still live). And salaries typically make up for the extra cost of things. If you're going to be working for a huge firm like that, there's no doubt your benefits will roxxor in terms of vacation and compensation. The variety of people is fascinating and there are many different cultures and friendly people to meet. NoVA totally rocks, man.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 01:24:07 PM »
a 2 bedroom apt near where I live often goes for the staggering sum of 1600 dollars a month (or more!)
Out in Mclean things can be cheaper, my buddy Mike lived in Reston in a 2 BR apt for 1200.

Driving will be key, if you live outside the beltway, you'll find public transportation is spotty or just downright bad. However if you slug like E you can get rides almost anywhere (though more typically you'll get Springfield commuters) Slug lines rock because its organized accepted hitchhiking to allow drivers to use the HOV lanes (and thus avoid traffic) again, out by Mclean you'll have less of that. What you will have is a quieter community, and a little more nature... plus you'll be close to Wolftrap (an outdoor stage where tons of concerts are given in the warm months) tickets range from 15 dollars for lawn seats to 75 for nice cushy box seats.

Getting into DC is easy, just drive to one of the large metro stations, and take the metro in. For a small outlay you can get an all day pass, or a monthy pass. Once in DC you have a nice Zoo, the Smithsonian Museum complex, major league basketball, football, baseball teams, amazing shopping, heck theres even an anarchist soccer league that doesnt mind who shows up for pickup games. We have a small chinatown, and some great dining and tickets to events at the Kennedy Center are usually inexpensive. Plus you have the National Gallery of Art, the Corchoran Gallery, the Gugenheim, and the National Cathedral. Baltimore is an hour and a half away so there you have more football and baseball, the historic inner harbor and the aquarium. And the Md State Capital Annapolis is neat because of the Naval Academy.

As for parks you have several.
The big national park in VA is the Appalachian Trail a 2000 mile trail that runs from Georgia to Maine That cuts the state in two. A person up for a day trip can drive out to the penninsula to check out Chincoteague and Assateague (where the wild ponies live) or drive down to Williamsburg and Yorktown.
Shorter Daytrips bring you to almost 30 civil war battlefields, Mount Vernon, and the Maryland Renfest (In August and September)

Come see an indie film in Shirlington or just drive down route 17 and get yourself an old time frozen custard. Or drive west in the Shenedoah valley to pick apples in the fall or canoe, kayak and whitewater raft in the spring and summer. Drive out to Winchester for some nice antiques (or Manassas or Fredricksburg) or go shopping at the Potomac Mills Outlet mall. Or my personal favorite, drive to Old town Alexandria in the Summer and walk down King street.

Its fab..

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:25:39 AM »
My fiancé is actually from McLean, and we'd like to move back there once we graduate this spring. It's a beautiful area, especially in the spring and fall although I found it a bit too hot and humid in the summer (could be because I'm originally from Upper Michigan...) But as others have said, there's not a lack of things to do in the area. The metro is great for getting in and out of DC if you're near a station, and there are plenty of Cons in the area. If you can get a job that'll let you afford to live there I highly recommend it.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 12:39:31 AM »
Well, at least I can say that some people recommended Northern VA. Honestly, it sound a lot like Maryland (which is where my wife grew up) but with better schools. I doubt that it could be better than living in Denver but the Denver office isn't hiring tax attorneys right now and Norther VA has to be better than other places that I have lived. Thanks.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 03:11:02 AM »
it is like MD with better schools  ;)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 09:21:46 AM »
also, fewer yankees.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 05:34:02 PM »
In Canada, we are all yankees.  In Britain, too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 05:34:14 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 08:43:30 PM »
Yanks. Not yankees. :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 09:08:35 PM »
and if your from the west... sometimes cowboy....