Author Topic: column: Geek Girl #5  (Read 4624 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: column: Geek Girl #5
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 03:45:25 PM »
Here, now.  Getting all grown up and mature on us now....
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »
Which is why catharsis makes the world go round.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 07:19:02 PM »
Yeah, well, I wrote this half asleep.  So give me a break.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:44:07 PM »
I have to say that I liked the part about your mental math difficulties. Sad to say, I'm in the same boat. I'm always freezing up when I have to try figuring out number-type stuff in my head. Numbers just aren't very compatible with my poor, literary brain.
Sure is a pain. So I strive to hide my number phobia wherever possible, of course. Too bad my brain doesn't process numbers much better even if I've got paper and pencil... *sigh*
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:05:48 AM »
Yeah, well, I wrote this half asleep.  So give me a break.

Not criticizing, just commenting. It was a bit more serious than normal, but it was also riddled with funny metaphors and such to lighten the tone of it.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 12:28:36 AM »
Yeah well, one of these days I'm going to write something very serious, so this way you won't be surprised.  

Where've you been, anyway?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:28:58 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 02:34:58 AM »
I'm always freezing up when I have to try figuring out number-type stuff in my head. Numbers just aren't very compatible with my poor, literary brain.

Strange, I do quite well with numbers and literacy, art being where I fail.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 07:26:39 AM »
Obviously, this thread has been far too useful and such.  I'll bring it back on track.  

My super weakness is my ability to forget/lose things, including my name, where my keys are, and even what my super powers are.

By the way, my creative spelling is not a super weakness.  It's a super quirk!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Where've you been, anyway?

You told me to go away.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 12:43:59 PM »
My super weakness is my ability to forget/lose things, including my name, where my keys are, and even what my super powers are.

And, of course, that ability isn't limited to yourself. You often forget things about other people, too. This must be what makes it a super weakness.

I have a super weakness for clutter. No matter how much space I have, I seem to have twice the stuff to fill it. Hence, you will never walk into my apartment and think of me as a minimalist. I like books too much. And movies. And plants. And family history. And...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:44:55 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 02:19:48 PM »

*Fish tries to restrain the sarcastic comment, but fails her will save

Yeah, it takes a special kind of super-weakness to lose one's girlfriend like one loses one's keys.  

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
Now, Fish, that's not fair.  You have to tell the whole story, otherwise people won't get the context.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 02:17:41 AM »
Now, Fish, that's not fair.  You have to tell the whole story, otherwise people won't get the context.

It's not my story to tell.  But you can't make comments like that and expect me *not* to make that comment.  You know better.  

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 05:46:40 AM »

So what you are saying, is that if you ever manage to be given the responsiblity of taking care of children, you shouldn't be the one to take them shopping or on field trips or really any sort of supervision.

Just know that bogeymen and evil fairies love you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 05:47:18 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.