Author Topic: Torino!  (Read 2511 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Torino!
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »
Okay, since I've been in bed the past two days with a flu, I've been watching DVDs as well as the Olympics. Boy, I forgot how fun it was to watch the events. I'm not really much of a sports enthusiast, but I like winter sports more than summer, I think.

I watched Shawn White, the "Flying Tomato", snag the gold in snowboarding. Sweet. The Americans didn't sweep the half pipe medals this time. Still, they did pretty good. Although... their uniforms looked like old-fashioned striped pajamas. No, really. Hmm, maybe it's just part of the whole "rebel" thing?

I also watched some short track skating. But I want to watch some pair figure skating tonight. Oooh, and maybe some curling because it's just sooo mesmerizing. lol. Well, we'll see. Anyone else watching the competition in Torino?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:53:26 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Torino!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 03:02:54 PM »
Last night Mustard was watching the men's downhill with his wife. It really looked like the Austrian was going to win, right up until the very last skier, and she shouted at the TV: "Austria can't win! They didn't even become a sovereign nation until 1955!"
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:11:56 PM »
My favorite thing to watch is gymnastics, so I like the summer games. Although the ice skating is pretty fun to watch as well. Mostly I don't get into the Olympics at all, although it's cool to keep track of all the metals the US wins.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:26:20 PM »
Last night Mustard was watching the men's downhill with his wife. It really looked like the Austrian was going to win, right up until the very last skier, and she shouted at the TV: "Austria can't win! They didn't even become a sovereign nation until 1955!"

Because she's a nerd.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:48:50 PM »
Mustards wife wins considerable points. That line is the essense of every insult with British use against... pretty much everyone.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 06:17:33 PM »
I think the winter Olympics are more interesting to watch then the summer.

I find it quite funny that Miller lost the down hill race, the one that instead of practicing on (he never raced the track once before the event) he went bar-hopping.  The guy didn't deserve to win with that attitude.

I also shaved my fake soul-patch off, Ohno why hast thou fallen?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:51:16 PM »
Of course, you have to hand it to Miller when afterward he admitted that even if he skied his best, he would have only one the silver. I'm assuming he is saying that his best skiing is when he is drunk but I'm willing to bet that he could do better if he didn't drink.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
I also shaved my fake soul-patch off, Ohno why hast thou fallen?

Why, indeed. What a bummer! :(

Wow, I love watching the speed skating. Go, Joey Cheek, go!!

But I do hate how such a little mistake can totally screw a skater up.

*Possible spoiler for MST or PST people*

Also, Kelly Clark washed out on her last jump and is knocked out of the running for a medal. Shoot! And her run was so powerful, such huge jumps on that half pipe!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 11:42:55 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 12:00:12 AM »
I like watching it. We're recording a bunch...there's an average of 24.3 hours per day, you know...

Not paying much attention to hockey, but curling rocks!!

And man, there were some BAD crashes in women's luge this afternoon...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 08:48:06 AM »
I think this is the only olympics in the past 20 years I havent really cared about. Part of it is that I really dont care for the winter olympics (ohhh the luge) mostly its just I dont see the point anymore since pro atheletes are allowed to compete.
I should be less bitter about this for the winter Olympics of course because there are fewer winter sports that have pro leagues. Problem is I dont think speed skating is exciting, or Curling curling is down right boring. But cross country biathalon is cool. Shooting and cross country skiing, thats a cool concept.

When it started on friday my first response was... oh, the olympics are on. Hmm, well I'll check the highlights.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 10:44:50 PM »
I've discovered the all-out fun of snowboard cross. So fun to watch! Didn't know this was a new event this year. Cool.
--Spriggan

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 01:09:03 AM »
I've also found snowboard cross to be exciting. Both men and women's final races were absolutely thrillng. The women's in particular was huge as the American snowboarder (Lindsey Jacobelis?) had a huge lead and then blew it by doing a stupid showboat stunt in the air that she couldn't land. She stuned everyone by losing the gold medal.

I am also facinated to learn that most of South Korea hates American Short-track sketer Ohno. Hopefully by beating him this time, they will stop mocking and threatening him.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 03:10:29 PM »
by stupid showboat stunt you mean snowboarding right,... I mean If its not anything like SSX tricky why watch it. I was peeved for like 30 seconds until I asked myself, what if she'd landed it... how much cooler would winning have been. Frankly I like her response,... "I was having fun." That to me is snowboarding.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
Yeah, it kinda rings true w/ the spirit of the sport.

Well, well, well. Shani Davis won the gold in 1,000 meter and Joey Cheek got silver.

I'm bummed that NBC has NASCAR on now instead of Olympics. Now -that- is a sport that doesn't excite me.
--Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »
Yes but USA has Ice Dancing, ugg so lame, and MSNBC has curling.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.