Author Topic: Editor Needed  (Read 3434 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Editor Needed
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »
also if this is a book they're trying to get published why would they want it in PDF format?  I wasn't aware that any non-vanity publishers would accept that format.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »
Well, I've had two publishers tell me that they prefer PDF format. There is a way to make it exactly the right size of page with bleeding etc, but you don't have to worry about formatting getting messed up, which has happened to me before (stupid QuarkXPress). Granted, these aren't major printers, one is the University press, but still.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 11:54:14 AM »
Are they willing to give this out to non-BYU students and out-of-staters? I have the free time now (since I've taken a leave of absence from school) and only have to work. I have a laptop with Word, and my work hours are 11 pm to 7 am. Between working and sleeping I find little things to do. A puzzle for instance.

But yes, do tell if this is feasible.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 11:54:16 AM »
The press I work with (Lorraine Press in SLC, fairly large but not focused on books, though they have done a few) prefers PDF.  They'll accept InDesign or Quark files but they just turn those into PDF files before they send them to the presses.

Of course, if you screw up on your PDF and want them to fix it you have to send them the source files.  I usually just send them everything including a PDF that I think is correct.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 03:16:57 PM »
Are they willing to give this out to non-BYU students and out-of-staters? I have the free time now (since I've taken a leave of absence from school) and only have to work. I have a laptop with Word, and my work hours are 11 pm to 7 am. Between working and sleeping I find little things to do. A puzzle for instance.

But yes, do tell if this is feasible.

Couldn't tell you. I got this in an email that was sent out to BYU editing minors (although I'm graduated. I have an in). So that's who they're expecting, I'm sure. But the only info I have I put on the first post. If you're interested, I'd call them and talk to them about it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 03:11:09 AM »
We sent PDFs to the printer, but that's because we're a publishing company. No one sends us anything already in PDF form. They must be wanting to self-publish.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!