Author Topic: Editor Needed  (Read 3433 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Editor Needed
« on: March 15, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
I was sent this email from the Ling & ELang dept at BYU (it's the dept. that editing is under). Just in case anyone is interested:

I need an editor to format my wife's book. It is about 250 pages long. We would like to find someone this weekend if possible, and have it done in 1 week. The job pays $10 hour. The person will need to have acceess to MS word or open office (open office preferred so we can port it to pdf, but either one will work) on a computer. The book is called polkadotmoms and is the ultimate self help book for moms- it helps mother's regain their passion for life. We will require a signed nda (non disclosure agreement) and we will pay an estimated 50% payment up front and the remaining upon delivery of completed work.

We prefer to find someone who is interested in this topic as there may be more editing/ writing work for this same topic in the near future as well.

Thanks for your help!
Clint Wilde

Edit: Personal info taken out since they've probably found someone by now and I don't want them to be spammed on their phone.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:52:08 PM by Tink »

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Editor Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
yeesh. They want it done in one week? Let's see, roughly 6 pgs per hour, with 250 pgs, that's still 41 hours, a full week. Tough if you've got a job already and classes. Hmm. I could use the money, though. $10 isn't too great, though. That's about half the going rate.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
That's what I felt like, which is why I'm not doing it, but if you need money and have time or want the experience, it might be worth it. Most of those who got this are still students and it's good pay for BYU undergrads.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:09:12 PM »
I think I'll let this one pass. If they were offering a decent wage, I *might* think of doing it despite the short deadline.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:23:37 PM »
The wage together with insisting on an NDA seems awfully amateur to me.  Like, so amateur I wouldn't have any confidence that they'd actually pay up.

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »
Well, I'd say you just don't give them the product until you have payment. You'd have to meet to get paid anyway. You could put it on (I know archaic) a floppy, or a CD, and not give it to them till they've paid you. Of course, if you're not in the area, I guess you just have to hope they would send payment in the mail.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 07:28:13 PM »
From the description of the book as being the 'ultimate' and the very short deadline, I would suspect this is more a call for proofreading rather than editing.  Most of the time when someone believes they've created the ultimate of something they just want someone else to make sure they've spelled everything correctly, not really for input on ideas, flow and such.  As well, I wonder at how many hours the writer thinks it will take to edit that many pages.  I know one of the folks that recently asked me to work on a 300 page manuscript assumed I could edit about 30 pages an hour and had budgeted 10 hours worth of pay.  They were very surprised when I very seriously informed them that 30 pages an hour was NOT reasonable for any kind of decent editing, even proofreading that fast is ridiculous unless all they want is the very worst of the edges whacked off.

This is only an opinion, but it is my gut impression that there would need to be quite a bit of negotiating and setting of expectations in this situation.

~J
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 07:35:10 PM by JenaRey »
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 08:58:33 PM »
They expect it to be formatted in MSWord?

I saw a lot of things (vanity projects) like this pass through the publication center when I worked there. They were good for people who needed some experience, but we almost always disasters. Typically the people contracting the work had no idea how a book was put together or how to get one printed. And almost always they under budgeted for the total cost. Often it was a number of months (years) before the student-editor got paid.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »
Yeah, Brenna could tell you a few stories about her experience with one particular guy...
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 01:01:56 AM »
Do tell... :D
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »
You would declare him insane, too, Mister Faster Master Pastor
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »
My being insane has nothing to do with the hilarity of a story it just makes them more fulfilling.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter whether or not I declare someone insane, as long as I get the dirt first.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:35:47 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 02:52:46 AM »
Ah, yes. The man who tried to pay me in self-help books.  ::)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 02:54:07 AM »
Keep going... :)

Edit: Wait, you mean he tried to pay you for working with self help books, instead of money?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:56:45 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »
Also, they seem to think that you can't make a PDF from Word. What are these people? Dumb? I'd write them an email and tell them that everyone you've found wants to take at least 2-3 weeks, and twice as much money, and to use real software instead of a common word processor.

/me shakes his head.