Author Topic: December 28th- Dark Prophecy- Part Time Angel, Chapters 1 and 2  (Read 1215 times)

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
December 28th- Dark Prophecy- Part Time Angel, Chapters 1 and 2
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
So, the first two chapters in what I hope will be a trilogy of books about a teenage boy who gets a summer job working for Heaven as a guardian angel. Crazy, I know, but just bear with me. As always, I invite you to destroy the text completely, only asking that you give me some explanations on just why it sucks.

-Bryce
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
Re: December 28th- Dark Prophecy- Part Time Angel, Chapters 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
Okay, here goes your first critique. Now, keep in mind people here generally have some pretty high bars set, so don't be afraid if you get clotheslined by them the first couple times.

In short, it wasn't that bad.

BUT (and you knew this was coming)

The very first part (from Sheila's POV) set me up for something very different than what I ended up getting. A shift from third person to first person is very jarring, and not at all what I was expecting. This may or may not be bad, depending. If you have them often (like if every mission had it, and those occur about every 2 chapters), it might actually work out pretty well... but if it's only this one time, oy.

Now, I'm going to come right out and say that I'm not particularly fond of first person. There are a lot of things you have to be very careful about, and since there's a very limited view of the world (namely, the one person), you have to try hard to show the reader the world. That said, you didn't do too bad a job. Since it's present day, I can get a good feel for it, but you're going to find that your actual writing becomes dated pretty quickly, and readers in the future might have a lot harder time visualizing. For instance, do you think anyone's going to know what an XBox 360 is in a couple decades? They *might* (go find people in grade school who know what a commodore 64 is. I bet you won't). There isn't much you can do about this other than generalizing, but that doesn't always work.

One other thing that might become an issue really quick is that there isn't much real conflict going on. You have a dead guy, but the issue seems to be taken care of rather quickly by Ben. So... I'm going to need some reason to latch on to Matt pretty quickly. Please don't drag me into a high school drama. I avoided that once already on my way through for a reason. I want to see his "job". Is he a good "employee", or is he constantly at risk for "termination". Are demons trying to recruit him and pay him more? These kinds of things could add a lot of depth to the story, and give me a reason to read on to find out more.

Okay, on to more specifics. In the fight scene, Sheila puts her stiletto in Barry's groin, and then kills him. This almost works. The problem is that in a real fight, you end up with a huge adrenaline rush, especially when you get dealt a blow like that. For Sheila to get the knife away and manage to slit his throat without him putting up any further fight is somewhat amazing (and yes, I've been kicked in the crotch. It hurts, a lot, but if it's pain or death, I'll deal with the pain). I'd almost picture him more waving the knife around wildly as she approached. Women's defense training says to kick the guy, then run like hell. His likelihood of pursuing her is pretty small for the time being, and she should be going to the authorities.

I really like Matt. His character acts pretty believable. He seems to be a little cocky with God's powers, but well... most people would be, I'd imagine. Given my prejudiced opinion toward first person, I really didn't find his personal narration bad, although sometimes I feel like he's speaking a little younger than the 15-16 he is (more like 12-14). This just might be me being stupid, though. It's been awhile since I was that age.

One thing that bothers me though, is that the book seems to be geared toward YA, but with prostitution (I think?) and slitting throats in the first page, that might be a hard sell. You're definitely getting to the upper end of the spectrum. Dunno. Frog'll probably give you a better answer on that one....

Overall, I think you have a pretty nifty basis for a story. Being "heaven's garbage man" seems like a new idea (to me, anyway).  It kinda feels like "Constantine: the younger years". :) So keep writing, and we'll see where it goes.
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
YA books tend to be a lot like adult books these days . ..  with younger protagonists.  Just about everything appears in YA these days.  And yes, I do mean everything.

Now for my look at the story: 

Within the first two sentences you have a knife and stilettos tapping.  Because you started with knife, and then said "stilettos" my very first thought was, "cool, a knife fight."  I read it three times to understand you meant shoes.

Describe too late.  She rounds a corner then, wham.  "Oh look, a wall."  Or, "I lost my glasses and didn't see the wall at the end of the alley."  Or what?

Pro knife fighters don't play with their knives.  They hold them in a reverse grip  so the blade is harder to see.  Also Pro knife fighters carry about seven (give or take) blades on them.  Some for throwing.  They don't lunge either, that's what throwing knives are for.  The point is that if you dropped the one word, "professional" from those opening paragraphs, this all would read much better.

Also if he's pro and on edge, looking for an attacker, he's going to react to that garbage can in a much more pro way.

While you're doing first person (yay) the whole chick to first person was kind of . . . annoying.

More over than you could ever imagine.
Seriously? 
Okay now I get to praise you a bit.
I've never had a proble with first person and it's nice because we get to really meet the narrator.  The best part is, he's funny.  Not just in the, I say funny things way, but in the, "I swear I knew this guy in highschool" way.  My one issue with him is that he's horrified by watching someone get their throat slit, but has really no problem acting normal afterward.  Had you not mentioned the part about his family and things, and hinting at the nasty stuff he'd seen on his angel missions, I'd be more confused.  However, because of that, I'm only put off instead really wondering why.  But then if he's tracking pimps with knives, I mean . . . he can't be too squimish.

In all honestly, I wish there were more to read. 

I did find it odd that while he's on the Almighty's errands, he seems to have no problem misbehaving.  I would think, personally, there would be conduct codes or something he'd have to follow.  Since you're dealing with a subject that just about everyone is going to have preconceived notions about, I would suggest getting more into the job specifics (and how much it pays) earlier.

And as a guardian angel, why didn't he cover up the murder scene?  Or is that someone else's job.  I mean, dead guy in ally, chicks prints on the knife, Barry's blood on her hands (litterally) all screams "I need cover up to be protected."  Or is it because she killed the guy she lost the protection?  this all of course goes back to the job specifics of Guardian Angel, which I think we'd be better off knowing upfront, since your title is "Part Time Angel."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »
Needless to say, the title is great. It introduces the fantasy element (angels), but also breaks expectations by saying part-time. Excellent!

Oh, so you're into the short chapters, I see? That is good. This should be a fast read, then.

Since you started mentioning Sheila in the first line, I assumed we were in her viewpoint. I was not expecting the switch. We need more showing from Mateo. Namely, I want to see him knock the barrel over, and then immediately see his emotional reaction to what Sheila did. Right now, it feels a bit contrived. Mostly, it's that page of third-person switching into first-person that is the largest issue. If we get more showing (and more "I's" in the prose on that first page) we'll be in much better shape.

That last line of Chapter One was cool. I do need to say that if Benedict is extremely old as an angel, his dialogue seems quite childish.

Onto Chapter Two!

The prose is much better now that we know what viewpoint we are in and he is coloring the reader's perceptions. We need more of that in the first chapter.

Mentioning Left 4 Dead 2 is a good touch, but it immediately dates the piece a year or two down the line, and doesn't really add anything to the story.

Okay, finished reading.

My biggest problem is that he switches back to his normal emotional state too easily. I like his normal emotional state--he is funny--but he goes through the transition too quickly.

Moreover, from a narrative standpoint chapter two was too telly. It's an easy thing to do in first-person, but honestly, the only meat to the chapter was when he found the scroll. We're zipping past things, such as family relations, which should be explored in greater detail over time, not given to readers in a single paragraph.

That said, you did a superb job describing Matt's appearance without having him look into a mirror. It felt perfectly realistic and rational describing him at that particular moment. Kudos! I'm bad at describing appearances of my characters.

So, ultimately, I liked it. You have a good narrator, you have an interesting concept... I love the quips like "When you work for God himself, you start feeling like just about anything is possible." Right now, I'm expecting a fast paced book with a fun narrator. It remains to be seen whether the narrator can stay humorous for the length of a book. But as YA or middle grade fiction goes, I like a lot of what you are bringing to the table.

The length of your paragraphs in chapter two give me pause, especially since they are, for the most part, expository (the family part especially. Why not show us their dialogue and give us a view into their characters that way?). In my humble opinion, a chapter should function somewhat like a story unto itself, with a beginning, middle, and an end. Chapter two didn't really have it. These paragraphs, when it got to the family part, felt like "wee, we're moving through the telling until we get to something more fun". Long paragraphs in this case make me think it is infodumpy. Perhaps the most challenging part of writing first person humor is making jokes that don't also damage the story. Story always comes first.

Needless to say, you've hooked me (the title did a good job at that, by the way). I'm interested to see what happens. Now I just want to see this awesome story, and if you don't give me good story, I'll be sure to bug you about it, at length. My enormous blocks of textual rants are somewhat legendary.

Good stuff :)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. I'll obviously have to return the favor with some in depth stuff of my own soon. I especially appreciated getting multiple opinions on the third person to first person switch...Looks like I need to find a way around that mess.  :P I honestly haven't produced much of this story, so you got about half of what's available so far. I think that with your guys' feedback I might actually get there, though. You honestly don't know how much that means to me, so I'll keep it short. You rock!

In talking with my brother and wife about the novel, I think I've decided that I don't want to completely play the religion card in this novel. I'm not going to have God or Satan as a character, and that leaves me with some serious decisions about how deeply I treat the back story of this organization that Mateo's working for. Who are they really, where do they get the powers, etc. Brainstorming these things on a 6 hour drive really helped, so hopefully I'll have some new material to submit soon.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
Okay, so I haven't read the other posting, nor have I finished chapter 2.  That being said, here's what I thought of chapter 1.

First, play up the scene in the alley!  Make it more dramatic!  More descriptive!  This is a great scene with lots of potential, but it comes off as kinda so-so.  Other than that and some sentence structure problems you can clean up in post, I liked the chapter.

Chapter 2.

I love the voice of your character.  It is distinct and real.  However, he is not very good at descriptors.  I need to see what's going on!  I don't mind the exposition either.  It is well written and paints a great picture.  No problems with me.

Hmm... of all that you wrote here, I think the part that bothered me most was the fight in the alley.  You have flying trashcans and cardboard boxes, and yet nobody sees the person throwing them?  Does Mateo have the ability to become invisible?  If he doesn't... well, why doesn't Sheila see him?  For that matter, why doesn't she look for him?  Even more importantly, why does she murder a dude when it's even possible that there might be someone in the alley throwing stuff (insert awesome scene from The Emperor's New Groove here. 

Other than that, I don't think it's a problem if you leave God and Satan out of it.  I think it's better that way.  However, I do think you need to turn the story (meaning the conflict) on very soon.  We have a good setup and a good premise, but now we need the meat.  Bring it on.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot