Author Topic: New Comic Company on the Block  (Read 3583 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: New Comic Company on the Block
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 02:03:54 PM »
Yeah,  but they're opening to the US. New company, news stories in foreign countries, I figure we gotta shot at it.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 03:25:41 PM »
I guess the price of e-mail overseas has extended into the range of what say you? 50`^, maybe 60`^ parsecs a bit? But who knows. I don't do a lot of overseas e-mail exchanges. =P That's a load of sarcasm. Freaking Idiots.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 03:55:06 PM »
uhm... yes, see. that's what I'm going to do. But it's much easier to guarantee a response if you CALL. and it's also faster. What I was saying is that I won't know. Foolish mortal.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
I would, what with there being female leads, the channeling of pagan magical force, and the occassional typical comic scantily clad female. That doesn't sound very Arab extremist to me.

You're right, if you assume that Arab extremists are above using sex and forbidden things to entice young recruits.  They're not.  Using Jihad as an excuse to indulge is their primary MO.

However, looking at it further, the item that leads me to think that it may be a legitimate comic company, (and by legitimate I mean having generally the same goals as Western comic companies) is that they're marketing to the U.S. in English.  Most of the wahabiist propoganda that makes its way into mosques in America (and their's quite a bit) is in Arabic and therefore, pretty universally inaccessible to non-muslims.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 05:19:28 PM »
I think however, what leads me to think it's a legitimate company and not a terrorist front is perhaps the fact that our Constitution states that you are innocent until proven guilty, and that there's no evidence whatsoever indicating that AK Comics is any kind of front, even if they are Arabic. Frankly, Skar, the fact that your first post jumps to the conclusion that they are probably a front for terrorist activities makes me ill. If you said such a thing about an individual, you could be sued for defamation of character.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 05:58:10 PM »
Well they do have AK in their name. What more evidence do you need?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 05:59:41 PM »
SE, you don't make me ill, you make me laugh. :D

I think however, what leads me to think it's a legitimate company and not a terrorist front is perhaps the fact that our Constitution states that you are innocent until proven guilty, and that there's no evidence whatsoever indicating that AK Comics is any kind of front, even if they are Arabic. Frankly, Skar, the fact that your first post jumps to the conclusion that they are probably a front for terrorist activities makes me ill. If you said such a thing about an individual, you could be sued for defamation of character.

I jumped to no conclusion.  My use of the future tense precludes it.  The fact that I pointed out a real reason to conclude that it's an actual comic company instead of a terrorist front a couple of posts later makes it obvious and gives you the lie, sir.

Are you aware that Islamic militants are referred to, in their own cultures, as the cult of the AK47?
Didn't think so.  
Do you have even the faintest idea how financing for companies, comics or otherwise is handled in middle-eastern/islamic countries/cultures?  
Didn't think so.
Linking "AK comics" (published in bloody Cairo for heavens sake) with the cult of the AK is not unreasonable.  

I could only be sued for defamation of character if principles like the rule of law and freedom of speech were revered in Cairo. They're not.

The reasoning in your response to my first post was puerile and I pointed out its flaws.

Spare us all your knee-jerk reactions...jerk.  

*Skar waits for his 5 points
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »
/me gives Skarah tw10 points because he duely noted. Score Sharkah.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 06:23:09 PM »
Gemm loses ten points for spelling Skar's name wrong...twice...in different ways...in the same post.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 06:38:48 PM »
Skar,

You are considerably wrong on all counts about my knowledge. The assumption that a group is even terrorist sympathetic  just because they use "AK" in their name is specious at best, and reveals a tendency to lay blame on a group without foundation. ESPECIALLY when the comics in question have many elements that I believe will make them very unpopular with governments in conservatively Islamic countries. (Yes, I know you think you responded to them, you addressed ONE of my observations, of which I made three, which were just the most obvious, and that response was somewhat poor).

ANd where is it written that the Constitutional protections don't extend to all humanity? Like it or not, even if they're terrorists, they're your brothers. Judging someone before there's any evidence is in violation of that principal. Are you saying it's ok to commit crimes against people just because you're not on US soil and they are not a US citizen? Where do you draw the line? If they don't have civil liberties, do they have the right to life? How about the right to liberty? I suppose you might think that's a slippery slope argument, but I find the principles to be exact, and the degree of difference in intensity not very great.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 06:42:13 PM by SaintEhlers »

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 07:19:57 PM »
Skar,

You are considerably wrong on all counts about my knowledge. The assumption that a group is even terrorist sympathetic  just because they use "AK" in their name is specious at best, and reveals a tendency to lay blame on a group without foundation.

Ah, so you did know that terrorists are referred to in the Middle East as the cult of the AK 47?  In that case how can calling your company "AK Comics" be seen as neutral?  A parallel would be a comic company in the states calling itself KKK Comics.  Would it be unreasonable to suspect a link between a company called KKK comics and the actual KKK or at least its doctrines?

Your point would be reasonable in a vacuum.  We do not live in a vacuum.  Denying that a name like AK Comics could be seen as provocatively pro-terrorist (the cult of the AK) in the middle-east reveals a tendency to deny reality.

ESPECIALLY when the comics in question have many elements that I believe will make them very unpopular with governments in conservatively Islamic countries. (Yes, I know you think you responded to them, you addressed ONE of my observations, of which I made three, which were just the most obvious, and that response was somewhat poor).

No, I addressed all three.  Women leads, scantily clad comic ladies and pagan magic are "forbidden" and evil according to Sharia.  But Sharia is suspended for Mujahideen and Islamic terrorists use that suspension as an excuse to indulge in forbidden things and then use that indulgence to entice young muslim men.  You naively assume that the governments run things in Islamic countries.  They're only a single part of the governing forces.  The Mullahs in a muslim country have just as much power, it is in fact to appease them that the governments enforce Sharia.  It is, unfortunately, Mullahs, well respected and well known, who give impetus to the terrorists.  If those Mullahs decided to use comic books that include scantily clad women, women leads and pagan magic, as one of many tools to brainwash their youth into blowing themselves to smithereens or gunning down women and children,sharia goes right out the window because now it's Jihad, and the government dances to their tune.

ANd where is it written that the Constitutional protections don't extend to all humanity? Like it or not, even if they're terrorists, they're your brothers. Judging someone before there's any evidence is in violation of that principal. Are you saying it's ok to commit crimes against people just because you're not on US soil and they are not a US citizen? Where do you draw the line? If they don't have civil liberties, do they have the right to life? How about the right to liberty? I suppose you might think that's a slippery slope argument, but I find the principles to be exact, and the degree of difference in intensity not very great.

I did not judge anyone.  You assumed I did because I voiced a possibility you don't agree with.  Who is judging who here, my brother?  

Refusing to consider the possibility that a comic company named KKK comics might espouse racist doctrines in their comics is not refusing to presume guilt before innocence, it's being a sucker.  Reading the comics from said company  to see if they do or not is not presuming guilt, it's exercising common sense.

I was completely unable to parse your last sentence so...

I'll conclude with this statement.  I will not be trapped into defending the position that AK Comics is, in fact, a terrorist front.  I never held it and never said that I did.  It is only SE's prejudice that leads to that conclusion.

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 07:56:57 PM »
I would just like to interject that you two are making this thing to be a lot bigger of a deal than it actually is. For being friends, you are awfully prone to taking pokes at each other such as these.
Frankly, Skar, the fact that your first post jumps to the conclusion that they are probably a front for terrorist activities makes me ill.

and
Your point would be reasonable in a vacuum.

I just thought I would point that out.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 08:02:29 PM »
For my quote I would have picked:
The reasoning in your response to my first post was puerile and I pointed out its flaws.

Spare us all your knee-jerk reactions...jerk.

I didn't see my vacuum point as being insulting at all.  It's simply true.  If we lived in a world where terrorist organizations didn't use acronyms to identify themselves, his point would be valid.  We don't and it's not.

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2005, 08:14:19 PM »
Ok Skar, regardless, my point stands.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2005, 08:36:28 PM »
I ran a magazine called the Serial Killer. I live in an environment where serial killers are real. Would you assume simply from the title of my magazine that I endorse such a thing? Would you even seriously suspect it?

In Finland, where every single person I met, with no exceptions, spoke flawless English, there's a chain of stores called KKK Mart. Not for a moment will I assume that means they're racist.

There are a ton of comics that included titles like "true crime" and "murder" and things like that, yet one of the greatest blows against free speech in this county was the assumption that such titles instantly meant that the comics were supporting criminal behavior

i point out the women leads and the pagan power NOT because they are forbidden, but because the directly subvert the order they want to impose. if Zein (one of their characters) got his power because he's a direct descendant of Muhammad, that's one thing. But he gets his power from ancient Egyptian gods. These sorts of things are diametrically opposed to what they're bringing about. Maybe they can sin, but why would they use soemthing that so blantantly argues against their Jihad? That's ridiculous.