Author Topic: Snow Crash  (Read 5063 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Snow Crash
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 09:16:06 AM »
Don't worry, punk is only the most important literary movement of all time, there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Must... resist... temptation... to... argue....

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »
Though hardly an expert on punk, I'm going to side with EUOL here in saying that Snow Crash is more post-punk than anything else--it's a little too optimistic to be true punk, I think, a little too peppy and goofy. It's excellent, and I recommend it. I've never been able to get into any of his others, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »
Neal is one of my favorite authors.  I've enjoyed everything else he did too, including The Big U and Zodiac (though I had to give both those the benefit of the doubt in the beginning)

In my humble opinion his best work is Cryptonomicon.  And to be fair I must mention that "The Diamond Age" is amazing.  The Baroque cycle stuff is very dense but if you like his style for itself they are really good reads. (Well, the first one anyway, the 2nd and 3rd are sitting on my shelf patiently waiting the 28th of this month.)

I must say that the question of whether he is punk or not seems immaterial.  He defines his own genre.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

n8sumsion

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 01:05:56 PM »
I love this book. It's one of my favorite sci-fi/cyberpunk novels. I agree with some of the earlier comments though. It starts out quick, with funny zippy scenes and a wry humor (the main character is named Hiro Protagonist, and he delivers pizza for the Mob). But then the whole Sumerian mythology thing got a little heavy and slowed the book down, but it picked back up towards the end. A great read, and one I enthusiastically recommend to people.

I loved Diamond Age as well, but I haven't been able to make it throgh any of his others. I've tried reading Zodiac once and petered out. I've tried reading Cryptonomicon a couple of times now, and I vowed to try it again. I've been lugging it around in my bag the past week, intending to start it again, and I just can't gather up the enthusiasm to open the cover. It's an intimidating book. But I'll give it a go soon.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 01:06:30 PM by n8sumsion »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 02:53:25 PM »
Stephenson is definitely going down the "tougher reading with each successive book" path currently.  I gobbled up Cryptonomicon like it was candy but it was definitely less fluffy than his earlier works and the Baroque cycle is even less so.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 09:09:08 PM »
Well thank you all, very much.  I will obtain a copy and try to read it before Father's Day (I've got Brandon's book coming then).  I'll try to see how it fits into Instrucitional Technology.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 10:30:47 PM »
He's my facourite author, actually, and Cyrptonomicon is my favurite of his books. Only read Zodiac and Snow Crash, but I have the second of the Baroque ones, plan to get and read the first soon, and want to get a hold of the older stuff.

Got a whole lot of stuff to finish first, though.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 12:25:54 AM »
Yeah, JP, SNOW is a hard one to place.

It's self-referential, but it was before CyberPunk really went 'mainstream' and got pretty. (Ala MATRIX).  Which, of course, killed it.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 01:21:16 AM »
It seems someone rather enjoyed the book: "(As a brief aside, have you ever read Snow Crash? You really should. It posits a kind of proto-"Matrix" called the Metaverse, what we'd think of as a fairly advanced sort of Avatar Chat, but the etiquette there is such that you don't physically touch other people because it breaks the immersion of it. Or, at any rate, that's what I remember it saying. It seemed apropos.)"

As posted by a one TB (Tycho). Is it really that good?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
No, we're all saying that we like it because we're in on the joke--it's like telling the water's fine when it's actually frigid.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2005, 03:29:47 AM »
I thought that it was a good book, as was Diamond Age, but am I the only one here who was bothered by the amount of swearing and sex in those two books?  That's why I haven't read more CyberPunk.  Is it a common thing in the genre, or just in the two I happened to read?

(PS Can I just say that I always refer to KFC as the House of the Venerable and Inscrutable Colonel?)
Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 04:24:16 AM »
There was swearing and sex in Snow Crash?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005, 08:20:01 AM »
One sex scene. That lasted all of half a page.

And uh, snow crash had less swearing than a lot of stuff I've read. You just come from a sub-culture that doesn't swear.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 11:46:26 PM »
I must be at the slow part.  It's dragging a bit, but generally I've like it.

I must admit, this is a new genre to me.  What might be some of the seminal books?  I'd like to read more.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 02:42:53 AM »
Neuromancer. Get that FIRST.

Schismatrix. Definately.

Software, Rudy Rucker