Author Topic: news from the web  (Read 5516 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
news from the web
« on: March 16, 2004, 09:22:37 PM »
Is it just me or do you think the news is leaving out a lot of key elements from the story..

HONG KONG, China (Reuters) -- A 13-year-old Hong Kong boy flew into a rage and threatened his parents with a kitchen knife after his father pulled the plug on his computer game, police said on Monday.

"The boy's mother told police the boy was thrashing about with a knife. Nobody was charged," a police spokeswoman said.

The father managed to overpower the boy and no one was injured in the fracas early on Sunday morning, a local newspaper reported.

The father pulled the plug on the game at around midnight when the boy refused to stop playing and go to bed.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: news from the web
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:05:55 PM »
Is it just me or do you think the news is leaving out a lot of key elements from the story..

HONG KONG, China (Reuters) -- A 13-year-old Hong Kong boy flew into a rage and threatened his parents with a kitchen knife after his father pulled the plug on his computer game, police said on Monday.

The father was in a drunken rage after he came home from school, hit the boy, and unplugged the family's computer.  The boy had just gotten home from his 6 day school week in a nation with a a suicide rate for adults and a suicide rate for minors because so many killed themselves around the eighties and nineties.  

"The boy's mother told police the boy was thrashing about with a knife. Nobody was charged," a police spokeswoman said. It is suspected that she was threatened by the father, but no proof can be found to support the statement.  The boy has gone missing but presumed uninjured due to the mother's testimony

The father managed to overpower the boy and no one was injured in the fracas early on Sunday morning, a local newspaper reported.

The father pulled the plug on the game at around midnight when the boy refused to stop playing and go to bed. He refused to go to bed because he was afraid his father would beat his mother again.

you mean something along those lines?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 10:06:59 PM »
sort of,

and heres another puzzler

LONDON (Reuters) - A scientist dubbed the "Safeway poisoner" and jailed for trying to poison his wife has been employed by a British university to lecture students on ethics, the institution said on Thursday.
Paul Agutter served seven years of a 12-year sentence for attempted murder after he laced his wife's gin and tonic with deadly nightshade in 1994 and then tried to cover his tracks by spiking drinks in a Safeway supermarket.

The University of Manchester said it followed "due process" in hiring Agutter to teach adult education classes, including a one-day course on "Therapeutic Cloning: Ethics and Science."

Medical ethics lecturer Piers Benn told Reuters criminal convictions and teaching ethics were not necessarily mutually exclusive.

"Normally people who get into moral philosophy do so because they care about making the world a better place or putting things right," said Benn, of Imperial College London.

"But I can't see any logical contradiction between being able to think about ethical questions and being able to do rather criminal acts."

Manchester University said it had not decided whether an April course on evolution taught by Agutter would go ahead.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 06:41:12 PM »
Yeah, uh, there's a lot of stuff which could be left out of that one.  The press is mean like that... Yellow Journalism Blows hard.  We never know, though, it could just be a muckraker statement with all parts included, but the chances are slim.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »
*sigh*

Its britain's leftie elite, they probably think it fits in with their politically correct portfolio.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 11:02:04 PM »
http://bangordailynews.com/editorialnews/articles/418988_031604nocrimeseeninm_skileymack.cfm

Somerset County Lt. Pierre Boucher said the man took two pieces of wood, nailed them together in the form of a cross and placed them on his living-room floor. He attached a note saying "suicide" to the wood and then proceeded to nail one of his hands to the makeshift cross using a 14-penny nail and a hammer.

"When he realized that he was unable to nail his other hand to the board, he called 911," said Boucher. It was unclear whether the man was seeking assistance for his injury or help in nailing his other hand down
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 07:10:53 PM »
He is either a moron or someone left something out
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 06:13:27 AM »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 09:50:48 AM »
"Its just like a Big Mac, only they Call it Le Big Mac, but dont call ask for a quarter pounder with cheese"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 10:28:45 AM »
The best spin on that ever was Shaggy talking to Dopey and doing a spoof on the dialogue from that scene.

"And they don't call them pound puppies either...."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »
here's a fun one from japan

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040322p2a00m0dm014001c.html

is it indencent exposure?  or just him adjusting his fake leg.

Don't worry, that link is in english

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »
If he wore a skirt he wouldn't have this problem.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 11:58:43 AM »
instead he'd be picked up as a prostitute.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 02:32:23 PM »
Wow.  Since when has flashing schoolgirls been illegal in Japan?  I thought it was a national pastime.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 02:38:52 PM »
No no, EUOL.  The schoolgirls flash *you*.  And then they chase you. But only if they have tentacles or turn into robots.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:39:23 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan