Author Topic: Transformer Names  (Read 6150 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Transformer Names
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 01:09:25 AM »
Starscream, despite being a complete idiot on the show, is unquestionably the coolest Transformer name. When my old job required me to name treadmills and exercise bikes and stuff, I would invariably suggest Starscream first. Maybe that's why they didn't like me.

Starscream is well-suited to your evil-sounding requirement, because it's a very brassy, painful-sounding name. I think you need to make sure the other names are wacky, so stuff like Optimus Prime is too obvious but stuff like Soundwave is too mundane; I'd go with the wacky compound words like Starscream, Wheeljack, etc. Unicron would be funny because you could ahve a running gag about how people think he spelled Unicorn wrong.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 01:10:44 AM »
Hey, I like that Unicron idea...that could be really funny.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:39:41 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 08:05:38 AM »
imo, Megatron as Galvatron was retarded. Worse than Starscream's personality.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 09:27:22 AM »
Yes, but he could actually tranform into something that had some functionality without requiring Starscreams help. Plus, it was about the same size, and so didn't negate the law of conservation of mass.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 11:25:19 AM »
Plus, it was about the same size, and so didn't negate the law of conservation of mass.

Bwahahahaha.  Didn't you know that most of the transformers carry around a pocket of "sub-space" with them to store the extra mass when they transform?  
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 01:40:34 PM »
To quote TMBG:

John: "I'm having a heart attack."
John: "I'm a Transformer for your love, baby."
John: "Optimus Prime."
John: "Two arms and four wheels to roll you."
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 04:24:03 PM »
What song is that? I know "I'm having a heart attack" only from "Fingertips."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 12:01:54 AM »
It's from the live set of Fingertips on their new live album TMBG "Almanac." They were in New York for this one.
                William S. Burroughs

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 03:08:57 AM »
Hmmm... I lack much TMBG stuff. Maybe I should buy some...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 03:36:10 AM »
They're still offering the deal at theymightbegiants.com where if you purchase any album you'll get the "Venue Songs" from their "Spine Hits the Road" tour free. Hurry Ookla! Hurry!
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 09:17:45 AM »
Yes, but he could actually tranform into something that had some functionality without requiring Starscreams help. Plus, it was about the same size, and so didn't negate the law of conservation of mass.

soooo... we're talking about a show where there are no wiring difficulties in a robot that changes shape and uses a completely different source of power, and these robots are sentient, and they come from a different planet but look like vehicles from our planet and also speak English.... and you're worried about conservation of mass.

No, sorry, don't get it.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 09:51:03 AM »
1) Wiring Problems - In the very first episode, the yellow one whose name escapes me falls of a cliff in car form. He is asked if he is ok, but he thinks "He sprained his gear belt". he is then asked if he can transform, he says "I think so." This indicates that certain damage can render the transformation system inoperable, thus suggest that the wiring is engineered to allow for transformation.

2) They use Energon. Energon can be any fuel source - electricty, gasoline, whatever, can become energon. So any fuel is acceptable.

3) The robots are sentient because they come from an alternate planet where Silicon based lifeforms exist and evolved. Keep in mind that silicon is directly under carbon on the periodic table - it's theoretically possible.

4) They looked very different on their home planet. In the first episode, when they are awoken, the ship's computer finds examples of machines (Which, presumably, it takes to be life forms) indigenous to the area, and reengineers the transformers to utilise those shapes.

5) Universal Translator. All languages follow some sort of structure rules, so a significantly advanced piece of software could pick up and translate it.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 10:31:01 AM »
Don't forget, some of them turned into animals. Starting the Beast Wars!
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 10:49:25 AM »
2) They use Energon. Energon can be any fuel source - electricty, gasoline, whatever, can become energon. So any fuel is acceptable.

So universal conversion is acceptable?

3) The robots are sentient because they come from an alternate planet where Silicon based lifeforms exist and evolved. Keep in mind that silicon is directly under carbon on the periodic table - it's theoretically possible.

silicon life is different than mechanical life and artificial intelligence.

4) They looked very different on their home planet. In the first episode, when they are awoken, the ship's computer finds examples of machines (Which, presumably, it takes to be life forms) indigenous to the area, and reengineers the transformers to utilise those shapes.

This sort of feat of engineering seems to demonstrate my last point, that is' mechancial life, not silicon life

5) Universal Translator. All languages follow some sort of structure rules, so a significantly advanced piece of software could pick up and translate it.

not on instant contact. Much more exposure would be required to establish enough of a pattern to even initiate the most primitive communication. Yet they do it on immediate contact.

Thus we see that if you have no problems with self-aware robots who can communicate in English, which are rebuilt by a computer too stupid to recognize which of the objects about him are acting in a sentient manner -- not to mention the fact that they coincidentally evolved into a humanoid form, then being upset about a little conservation of mass is a bit ridiculous

Besides, who said mass was lost? Maybe Megatron isn't very dense at all as a robot, but when in gun form his matter is very compact. Soundwave, who is quite large, and presumably strong, could lift a very heavy object one handed.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »
2) all fuel sources can create energy. Advanced technology could convert it, in the same way we can convert a waterfall into electricity. Energon was really just Solid electricity in a sense, and I know that's not quite possible.

3) Their brains are no doubt some form of computer chip. The bodies are mechanical, but computer chips are silicon.

5) it scanned the language when it was scanning the cars.