Author Topic: Deep Throat  (Read 6841 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Throat
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »
Ah, so Deep Throat hasn't revealed himself, but one of the reporters has. Is this Felt guy dead, then, so he can't contradict?

The plot thickens...
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 12:29:22 PM »
Felt is alive, and he has confirmed the story as well.  From what I've read, Bernstein, Woodward and their executive editor all confirmed this.  I don't know how it can get any more legit.  Interesting, though.  Here's a link to the story on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/01/deep.throat/index.html

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »
Yeah Fell, Bernstein DID confirm it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 12:55:04 PM »
Oh, that's new--the cnn article I read said that Bernstein was still denying it. I guess Felt called him up and said it was okay.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 01:08:43 PM »
Yeah, whatever.  I've had enough of your bull, Fell.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 01:14:44 PM »
Maybe I'll have to blow the whistle on you, fancy pants.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 02:39:01 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 01:33:18 PM »
Hark at the man with confused coding. Fools!

Also: This was front page news here. As in, full page picture of the guy and everything.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
why did Woodward, in a 1979 Playboy interview with J. Anthony Lukas, flatly deny that Deep Throat was anyone inside the "intelligence community"? The FBI, where Felt worked, is most definitely part of the intelligence community. But take a look at this exchange:

Lukas: Do you resent the implication by some critics that your sources on Watergate—among them the fabled Deep Throat—may have been people in the intelligence community?

Woodward: I resent it because it's untrue. As you know, I'm not going to discuss the identity of Deep Throat or any other of my confidential sources who are still alive. But let me just say that this suggestion that we were being used by the intelligence community was of concern to us at the time and afterward. When somebody first wrote the article saying about me, "Wait a minute; this is somebody in an intelligence agency who doesn't like Nixon and is trying to get him out," I took that seriously.

So, here is the next question, If Felt's motives are questionable... what about the actual facts?  As a member of the FBI, if he knew something was going on, he had a right way to go about reporting it.  Instead he did it the wrong way and caused great harm to this country.  
Alles!!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 02:24:48 PM »
I don't have a problem believing that Woodward lied before, nor do I necessarily have a problem with him ethically for having done so. It seems to me the lie would have been calculated to protect his witness and he was confident enough in the evidence given to believe he was not being misled. I could easily be wrong on his motives, but my answer to it is on no shakier ground than anyone questioning his behavior.

Who would Felt report it to? The only ones superior to him were probably in on it -- or at least tools of those who were. Frankly, I don't think it would have mattered what his motives were: if he wanted it cleared up, he had to do what he did. That doesn't mean we should admire him for his reasons, or for any other reason. But it was the only reason to take care of it.

Also, what exactly did Felt do that caused more damage to the  country than Nixon's associates attempting to derail the democratic process?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »
I'd like an answer to that as well--how is exposing corruption harming the country? Would you prefer to remain unaware of corruption and go on as if everything is normal?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 02:54:28 PM »
Agreed.  I just read that Pat Buchanan (who worked in the Nixon administration) said, in NBC interview, Felt was "corrupt for revealing White House secrets".  If the White House secrets are criminal, who is more corrupt?

www.robisonwells.com

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 03:05:07 PM »
Felt is alive, and he has confirmed the story as well.  From what I've read, Bernstein, Woodward and their executive editor all confirmed this.  I don't know how it can get any more legit.  Interesting, though.  Here's a link to the story on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/01/deep.throat/index.html

Thanks, Parker, for responding to me and providing a link.

I thought this line about their motives was interesting: "The article said the family believed Felt should get credit for his involvement in the case while he was alive and quoted Joan Felt as saying that the family should be a part of any financial gains from the revelation."

It sounds like the family wants him to reveal it while he is alive and can verify it so that they will get money. Not exactly noble, eh?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 04:59:21 PM »
I'd like an answer to that as well--how is exposing corruption harming the country? Would you prefer to remain unaware of corruption and go on as if everything is normal?

Yes.  Ignorance is bliss.

Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 06:03:19 PM »
the post said yesterday Bradlee Bernstein and Woodward were reluctant to confirm because Felt has had a stroke and they werent sure he was mentally capable to release the information. The spoke with him and his family and decided that he was ok. Then they released it.

I think whats amazing about the whole thing is that it took 30 years to come out.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 07:25:50 PM »
Hey Jeffe, you get my email?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch