Author Topic: Worldcon participants  (Read 20142 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Worldcon participants
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »
I weep that I will not be attending this. Curse my poverty!

(Despite my earlier intentions to go, we've had almost 700 hundred dollars of unplanned medical expenses over the last two months; ironically, that's just about what this trip was going to cost me. Think of me, and tell all your editor friends about me.)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2004, 04:48:31 PM »
Idea striking head. If some of us were to e-mail you a few of our works (since we are unable to attend this event) could you sort of pass it around to editors and people-things? Just a thought.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2004, 05:38:23 PM »
hm.... Gemm, this is not to say that we're not friends. It's just that this would not be practical for many reasons. Most importanly, I don't think any of us are up for selling someone else's material (or else we'd be agents, not writers). In addition, most people want hard copies, and we're not in a position to print several copies of something you wrote on our dime.

I may be presumptuous for speaking on behalf of others, but I don't think I am. Sorry.

Fell, yeah, it sucks. I'm having trouble figuring out where my hotel/food money is coming from with recent problems, but I'm commited $180 already, so I'm gonna go.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2004, 05:44:59 PM »
I'M GOING TO WORLDCON!!!!!
(and in this case, capslock IS my friend. :) )

Chris and I just registered.  :)

We still don't have a place to live (though we know we'll be in Utah for a bit longer), and we don't have jobs beyond the middle of August (for Chris) and the end of August (for me), but we're going to be in Boston for Worldcon.

Now for the rest of those necessary details...like flights, and it looks like a place to stay as well, since it looks like the hotel room's getting pretty full (oh well, at least I get to go now!).

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2004, 05:49:20 PM »
WOO WOO! yay!

well, here's the thing....

Let me negotiate this thing with my brother. He's coming, but he lives in NH and is being forced to commute by his cruel wife. I'm thinking if you two want to share with Peter and Brandon (making 4 to the room) I can save some money and stay with my brother.

The problem is how late to stay and how early to get there. I need a schedule so I can decide if that's practical.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »
btw, Hugo voting must be done TODAY.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2004, 11:44:56 PM »
Today? Crap.

Only ones I've read are the Bujold book and the Sawyer book. Bujold book GOOD, Sawyer book EVIL.

I'm sure some of the others are worthy as well, but I didn't realize voting had to be done today...

Darn. I'd like to give the others a fair shake, but...assuming I can get my PIN, I'll vote Bujold. Simmons book have heard good things though.

Haven't read any of the other categories. Don't like Gordon Van Gelder for editor. The rest are cool people...

Movie: I'd have to go for Finding Nemo!

TV: the 2 Firefly ones weren't aired at all...didn't see them, but I liked a lot about that show, except episode 3 (aired). Smallville ep wasn't that great...

Oh. For Retro Hugo I'd probably go with Fahrenheit 451. Caves of Steel is great, and MIssion of Gravity is good, and I did not like Childhood's End, and I've actually not read More than Human.

Not sure on Novella. For Novelette probably Dick. Short Story...the Clarke story is definitely famous, but I don't remember what it's about.

Anyway, my flight details:

Arrive (Delta) BOS 9:37 AM Sept 2
Depart (Delta) BOS 3:30 PM Sept 7

I'm routing through Cincinnati airport. (Which, by the way, is in Kentucky by about half an hour.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:55:28 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2004, 09:17:42 AM »
Yeah, I hadn't read any of the novels, but I read all the novellas/novellettes, short stories that appeared in analog, and I enjoyed them all quite a bit. So I gave them votes.

Movie I voted for RotK. I don't even know WHY Pirates of the caribbean was nominated. I mean, good flick, but best of 2003? I'm not even sure why there's "voting" for this one, I can tell right nwo that RotK will get it.

I also found that I hadn't read most of the retro hugo nominees, but I didn't feel bad about not reading shorts from 50 years ago. I voted for the short flims (having seen a surprising number of them) and for Farenheit 451.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2004, 12:26:05 PM »
Argh. I got my pin in the mail while I was gone, and got home at 2:30 a.m. last night. Oh well. I didn't read anything anyway.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »
Idea striking head. If some of us were to e-mail you a few of our works (since we are unable to attend this event) could you sort of pass it around to editors and people-things? Just a thought.

Here's the thing, Gemm.  The editors HATE taking hardcopies at things like this.  The purpose of going is to get to know people and get a feel for the business.  I've never taken a hardcopy of anything to a con.  

No, you don't need to worry too much about missing this one.  You're young, and you'll have plenty of time to attend cons in the future when you're more financially capable.  Just by hanging around with us, however, your chances of getting published will improve.  Listen to what the writing group says, send your short stories to WoTF and other places.  If you ever finish a novel, let me know.

-------
SE and Brenna:  I don't mind if SE goes away and Brenna/Guxijadlsktan (I can never type that) take his place.  That would certainly be the best use of space for the buck.

The thing is, however, most of this stuff goes late and starts fairly early.  I know some of the parties will go late, at least.  Since he's driving, one option might be for you and your brother to see if you can find a $40-a-night hotel somewhere just outside of town.  Would his wife let him spend $20 on a hotel for a few nights?  I don't know if you could find this, or even if it would be practical, but it might be an option.  It would save you some money too.

Of course, staying with him would save even more money.  You'd probably want to get in late some evenings, though.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2004, 01:57:34 PM »
I was looking at the late hour. The commute would be 90 minutes each way. Which is.... well... a lot. However, only one day of the con is on a work day, so there's at least that.

However, my wife had another thought. Stacy's in town and going. She's a girl though, and it'd be inappropriate for me to stay with her. Brenna, on the other hand could stay there, and then Chris could stay with us in the hotel. Of course, that has the obvious down side of splitting up the couple. I'm just throwing it out as an idea.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2004, 02:00:03 PM »
Or, we could always try and pack five in a room.  I slept on the floor for two years on my mission.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2004, 03:33:01 PM »
Brenna's welcome to stay with me, or if needed, I can ask a friend to host a guy. Whichever you guys like, just let me know with at least a week's notice so I can make arrangements.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2004, 04:40:46 PM »
OK, time for some long posts. I've been looking over the schedule, and here's the panels I may, or may not go to. The problem is that some days I haven't planned for meals. let me know what you guys think or if you plan on something I missed.

THURSDAY:

Thursday 12:00 n: Grand Openings
Once upon a time ("in a galaxy far far away")…So, how important is a good opening? What does it need to pull the reader into the story? How can it cast light upon mood, setting, character, tone, and still work as a hook for the reader? Discuss favorite openings, and tell why they work so well. And…what actually is the "right" beginning for the story? How does a writer figure out if the story on paper's starting too early, too late, or at the right time?

Thursday 1:00pm: How Does the Magic Work?
Magic needs its own rules, or it becomes a game where the author can do anything at any time. Discuss how to build and maintain a consistent and beliveable system of magic.

Thursday 2:00pm: Alternate Ecologies
Describe how they work. If possible, discuss any truly alien places on Earth (that you might have visited or heard about) that have a fairly "alien" ecology as well!
OR
Thursday 2:00pm: Mind the Plot Holes Dear, Dear
Give examples of various discrepancies/problems with details from any piece of SF/F and try to categorize them (examples: temporal, silly, boneheaded, etc.). How could the story be saved?
OR
Thursday 2:30pm: The Folklore of New Orleans

Thursday 3:00pm: Good and Evil in Genre Literature
Do science fiction, fantasy and horror have underlying moral perspectives? What are they? Do they differ? If so, why?
OR
Thursday 3:00pm: Fantasy Forensics
Real and imagined fantasy stuff—do vampires get rigor mortis? Does Cthulu have fingerprints? Analyzing a crossbow wound, etc.
OR
Thursday 3:00pm: The Seven Deadly Myths of Creativity

Thursday 4:00pm: As you know, Bob: the positives and negatives of infodumps in writing
Exposition can be quick or subtle, or straight, or with a twist. It can stop the story cold, or provide plot (and stylistic) impact. It can be smooth or lumpy, necessary or gratuitous. The panel will discuss expository theory and practice, and answer the eternal question: "What does Bob really know?"
OR
Thursday 4:00pm: A Horse is Not a Motorcycle
Many writers treat horses like motorcycles. But actually they're more like aliens who we can mostly convince to take us where we want to go if we're nice to them. Horse people talk about what horses are really like and how to use them realistically in fiction.
OR
Thursday 4:00pm: Writers' Tricks and Tips
How do you borrow from another culture? Make up an alien language? Describe something you've never seen? Authors discuss some of the tricks of the trade.

Thursday 5:00pm: Traditional Structures of Plays and Fiction
The traitional structure of a play is a build-up to a climax at the midpoint of the play (and how DO you achieve a perfect climax, anyway?) and then a slow draw down until the ending and denouement..Some works of SF and fantasy follow that model and others don't. What other models are there, and where would one of them best be used, versus the tradtional isoceles triangle structure described here?
OR
Thursday 5:00pm: The Shadow of the Torturer: The Writer as God
Do you abuse your characters? Do you do this to further the story, or because it's necessary to make the story more believable...or, to exorcise your own demons? Writing's potential for self-revelation may be its most powerful and terrifying aspect. How do you cope when your story is telling you something you don't want to know about the dark shadow of the self...?

Thursday 6:00pm: Cardboard Characters
Are They Always Bad? Old-fashioned SF used to be known for "cardboard" characters, and being plot and action driven. But, having the cardboard characters wasn't necessarily only from a perceived lack of characterization skills or interest on the part of writers and authorsàspending the time and effort to attempt to have more fully-fleshed out, multidimensional characters, might have led to different stories, not necessarily appreciated by the audience, or longer, more complicated stories, again, not necessarily desired by the audience. Then again, a lot of it may have been because of shortcoming and short deadlines for writers and publishing. But with all that, are there times when cardboard characters work and are the right way to go?
OR
Thursday 6:00pm: The Quest
For what? Irregardless…how are quests really about a search for identity and "adulthood"?

Thursday 7:00pm: The Seven Deadly Sins of SF and Fantasy
Admit it—some SF motions just don't make sense—and a lot of them become starndard background elements in the genre. Discuss a bunch of them (well, at least 7—and invent some new ones of your own, if you want!), why they're so terrible, and how they get established. Is it just that People Don't Think, or are there other reasons for these lousy ideas?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2004, 04:41:12 PM »
FRIDAY:

Friday 9:30am: Anglo-Saxon Influences on Modern Fantasy
The Rohirrim have a lot to answer for…

Friday 11:00am: Social World Building
"World building" in SF usually connotes care paid to ecological, astronomical and biological factors influencing the nature of other worlds in which stories take place—in short, the physical backstory. But if other worlds are different from Earth, so are likely to be the social systems of sentient species on them, including future humans. What should you think about when considering the sociological background of stories set in the future or on other planets? SF writers traditionally took for granted that mid-20th century American norms would prevail everywhere, but we know better—don't we? The panel will consider matters of kinship, marriage, family, religion and other modes of relationship patterns that vary more widely than many realize here and now, let along then and there.
OR
Friday 11:00am: What Should Good Fantasy Do?
Should it inspire, teach, intimidate, educate? How about divert, relax, amuse, or awaken? The panelists will choose their own verbs—and in the process, explain how good fantasy differs from not-so-good fantasy.
OR
Friday 11:00am: Which Comes First: Character or Setting?
Where do you start when you create fiction?

Friday 12:00 n: Character Development for Everyone
Itisn't just writers who develop characters, Artists, costumers and gamers also need these skills, People who use characters in different mediums discuss how they go about it.
OR
Friday 12:00 n: Researching Your Story: When Do You Quit?
The family tree covers three sheets; the glossary needs extensive cross references; the map has 16 color codes. Have you overdone it, or is this all necessary to provide verisimiitude?And haven't we all read stories where the writer go so involved with building the world that the story got lost? Learn when to drop the books and pick up the pen.

Friday 1:00pm: Is your "First Novel" a First Novel?
So, you think the first novel you finish is your first novel, but is it? Could it be a third or fourth novel as far as an editor is concerned. Come learn how to write a first novel from folks who've written several among their many novels.

Friday 2:00pm: Storytelling Workshop
Storytelling plays a significant role in SF/fantasy literature, in the form of characters who gather you around the campfire, and at cons, where authors' readings could be considered a form of telling stories. Ah, but there's an art to it and here's the place to find out more—especially for fans who would like to specialize telling or performing SF/fantasy influenced tales, original or not. Discussion, demonstration, and workshop.
OR
Friday 2:00pm: Plot and Pace
A story needs to balance both the plot of the story and the pace of the revelation to keep the reader interested. Come learn how to do this critical balancing act in your own work.

Friday 3:00pm: Edged Weapons—and How Writers Get Them Wrong
OR
Friday 3:00pm: All About Agents
Are they necessary? How do you find the right one? What do you have to know to keep from getting scammed—and how can they actually protect you (if you're lucky)?

Friday 5:00pm: Writing for Comics
OR
Friday 5:00pm: How NOT to Write Science Fiction
Frp,the 1966 "Tricon" ...a very bad "Worldbuilding 101"—predatory herbivores, economics that don't work, violations of the laws of physics…Give examples (heck, make some up!) and discuss.