Author Topic: Game based books  (Read 1887 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Game based books
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:26:11 AM »
So, I just got a Blizzard Insider announcing the free open beta and the street date of WoW.  Just down the page I noticed a book set in the WoW universe by a name I recognized.  Richard A. Knaak.  This guy wrote at least one novel in the dragonlance universe and I liked it  How cool is it to see his name again.

I've enjoyed game based books from warhammer, namely the Felix and Gotrek "slayer" series.  

Anything else out there worth reading?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Game based books
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 11:54:32 AM »
Knaak had a story in Search for Power, another Dragonlance book. If I remmeber right, he had a pretty decent story.

I don't like a lot of game-based fiction, though I read a lot because Wizards keeps sending them to me. HOwever, if you're going to read  something D&D, it might as well be Salvatore. If you want to review them, I have his latest trilogy complete that I haven't begun. For the price of postage I'll shlep them right over to you.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:18:24 PM »
Dude, do you want me to send you a check?  Tell me how much and ship away.  I'd love to review those.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 01:39:07 PM »
Speaking of schlepping things to each other, SE, have you gotten that Saint of Dragons book yet? It should have gotten there by now. I haven't sent the ninja book yet.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 01:45:23 PM »
I did. It's on my shelf waiting for December to come.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 03:35:07 PM »
I think a lot of things are waiting for December to come around this forum.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »
Morag really likes a couple of the Warhammer 40k novels.  He claims that he's been impressed with the writing in them.  Maybe you should try and get some of those for Skar.  (They're military SF, after all.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 05:19:05 PM »
I own a whole bunch of those. They are good.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 07:07:51 PM »
Morag really likes a couple of the Warhammer 40k novels.  He claims that he's been impressed with the writing in them.  Maybe you should try and get some of those for Skar.  (They're military SF, after all.)

Ah.  Wait.  I can't read any fiction until May of next year unless I'm critiquing it, my own or anyone elses.

Fiction Book reviews will have to wait until then. :'(

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 07:13:21 PM »
Huh? Why not? :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 08:12:12 PM »
Just a personal goal that I let my wife talk me into.  No fiction for a year.   We both felt that I was "escaping" too much and my reading was looking way too much like an addictive behavior set.

I'm glad I decided to do it.  I've read more non-fiction in the last several months than I did in the five years preceding it and my writing is regular.  I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to fiction but I think it'll be an every other book kind of thing by that time.

Of course, the whole idea goes against the spirit of TWG but I am unrepentant.

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 10:44:07 PM »
Hm. I suppose that's fair. I read a good mix of fiction, nofic, and games. I wish I could do more. I hadn't seen your earlier post about how much, else I would have told you around $7. maybe $8. Paypal preferable, but check fine. But I guess you won't be doing it. Anyway, salvatore fans? speak now or it gets read in december and I review it. Note; you are NOT paying for the books, you are paying for postage only. Vols I and II are paperback, but vol III is hard bound.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 11:32:54 PM »
I would accept, but I'm not sure what happy joy would happen to the postage. If it's not too bad...

Fellfrosch